Your Ultimate 500 Yard Rig

For me and what I hunt..... my 6.5 creed launching the 140 eld over 2900 fps pushed by rl-26. Vortex pst gen 2 5-25x50
20190707_194044.jpg

I was just editing that post to leave something else for ya. All I'm trying to say, is the Creed is a puny little case, that was an answer without a question. The .260 had already answered the question of a 6.5 short action cartridge. I seriously can't see why the CM even stuck around. Other than people just like buying the latest and greatest. I don't have anything against the CM, just sometimes it's fun to stir up the dust

I don't see the point in bagging on it. In the short action non-magnum realm the only real contender is the 260 and 6.5x47 and since they didn't get the attention deserved, marketing and improvement was left open. It can do the same FPS with less powder and PSI then a 260 and seems to hold up very well to higher PSI. I ran 147's in a 24" for PRS matches at 2800. I run 140's at 2800 in a 20". You can easily get 2900-3000 out of a 140 with the right powder and brass combos with longer barrels. For the non-reloader you can get pretty affordable ammo that works well. The ammo I tested ran 15 SD at 2840 in a McGowen 26". 2715 in a 24" Savage with similar SD.

To me there is a lot to like and little to dislike unless a person just feels bashing on something. In that case no matter what the facts are, it will not matter. I've been running 6.5-284's, 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 RM so I thought the CM was stupid until I started messing with 1. What is weird to me is that the creed has been around over 10 years and what really pushed it was ammo support. Every barrel maker that chambers barrels offers it. Every rifle maker offers the creedmoor. It seems pretty safe to say, it's not dying off. Is it puny? Depends on what you compare it too. Compared to my 7mag running a 180 at 2278lbs, yep, it's a **** ton less recoil and energy at 500. It's even pretty weak in direct comparison to my 6.5-284 running 147's at 1950lbs. However, for the right size game, the 1550 lbs of energy out of the 140 isn't too bad.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what a persons opinion is, we are all entitled to spouting off drivel. Hell I just built a 300 PRC and have little to no interest in shooting it. What a freaking cannon.

For me and what I hunt..... my 6.5 creed launching the 140 eld over 2900 fps pushed by rl-26. Vortex pst gen 2 5-25x50 View attachment 140761
What made you choose the CM over the 260? Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing. Not trying to start an argument, I just don't see why anyone would want one, when 308 brass is everywhere, and the .260 was already here.

I can't find my .260 in my collection, but the CM beside a 243.
PhotoPictureResizer_190708_134624518_crop_1453x2969.jpg

overkill338, the body design is improved. If you look at the case design you'll see all the modern design enhancements that have left the 308 case behind. That is not to say the 308 case is bad, for example I have both the 308 and 243. I can get similar velocity out of a 6mm creed to the 243 with 3-5 grains less powder. Also, I noticed the 260 loaded to the lands, depending on chamber cut, could be marginal to fit in a mag. The CM was designed to feed from any short action. Brass for the creed case can either be small or large primer depending on the shooters choice. I use large primer Peterson brass personally. For the 243 I ran lapau large primer.

overkill338, the body design is improved. If you look at the case design you'll see all the modern design enhancements that have left the 308 case behind. That is not to say the 308 case is bad, for example I have both the 308 and 243. I can get similar velocity out of a 6mm creed to the 243 with 3-5 grains less powder. Also, I noticed the 260 loaded to the lands, depending on chamber cut, could be marginal to fit in a mag. The CM was designed to feed from any short action. Brass for the creed case can either be small or large primer depending on the shooters choice. I use large primer Peterson brass personally. For the 243 I ran lapau large primer.
The CM shoulder looks more like an Ackley shoulder to me. That's one thing I did notice.

What made you choose the CM over the 260? Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing. Not trying to start an argument, I just don't see why anyone would want one, when 308 brass is everywhere, and the .260 was already here.

I can't find my .260 in my collection, but the CM beside a 243.
View attachment 140762
For me it I see it as a slightly superior case design. It's a smaller case, yet from what I see with my experiences and seeing what other 260 owners have it's a more efficient case. I'm not a supporter and see it for how it is. It's a good target round for pretty much as far as it stays supersonic and it's a good Intermediate range hunting rounds. The supporters irritate me too you guys arent the only ones.

The CM shoulder looks more like an Ackley shoulder to me. That's one thing I did notice.

yeah, if you look at the history of why the creedmoor was developed that was part of the requirement. Fit a true sa, improved body taper, improved shoulder, which generally means a more efficient burn at a lower PSI. The 260 will hold more powder but it's not quite as efficient. This is the reason some people get good speed for amount of powder out of a cm. In the end, the 260/6.5x47/6.5cm are all **** close. The only one with tons of support is the cm though. When I got my 6.5-284 my buddy got the 260. I played with that 260 a lot, loved it, but liked 6.5-284 more so I stuck with it. Only reason I went to the CM was to build my brother a rifle with factory ammo in mind. That rifle has been the benchmark. It has been incredible from day 1.

yeah, if you look at the history of why the creedmoor was developed that was part of the requirement. Fit a true sa, improved body taper, improved shoulder, which generally means a more efficient burn at a lower PSI. The 260 will hold more powder but it's not quite as efficient. This is the reason some people get good speed for amount of powder out of a cm. In the end, the 260/6.5x47/6.5cm are all ---- close. The only one with tons of support is the cm though. When I got my 6.5-284 my buddy got the 260. I played with that 260 a lot, loved it, but liked 6.5-284 more so I stuck with it. Only reason I went to the CM was to build my brother a rifle with factory ammo in mind. That rifle has been the benchmark. It has been incredible from day 1.
I have a love for the belts, so I think I will keep my .264 Win Mag for my 6.5 choice. Thanks for replying without arguing!

I looked at the 6.5CM and 260 the way I view the 300/338 Norma and the 338 Lapua. One is more optimized for running from a magazine and the other will certainly benefit from longer oal. That what made me go with the 6.5cm over the 260 mag length restrictions. Obviously both would run out of the mag but you can put more legs in the 260 with running a longer oal with a longer throat. AI it same shoulder as the CM it's no contest

I do not shoot at game with any rifle past the point blank range of the rifle/load because it is unethical! That is certainly less than 400 Meters, with my Rem 700 Sendaro in .300 RUM. I am a DV hunter and am allowed to use an ATV to get way out back and do not worry about weight. I use a ranging 4-16X56 scope and expect my bullet to land inside a 4" circle at the 500 meter gong at my club's range, on a calm day, but the 190 Grain Berger VLD bullet at 3280 FPS has a PBR of only about 360 Meters according to my computer ballistics program, so I never shoot at any game animal that my laser range finder has not verified to be with in the PBR! I also do not shoot any great distance in high winds where I stalk close and use a TC Encore in .308, or a 7-08 Rem XP-100 at ranges less than 200 yards/180 Meters, half that if the wind is really up. While I can shoot to over a mile on a good day with any of several rifles I own, I would never think of doing anything that un-ethical! You have a duty to the animal to deliver a clean and fatal shot, the first time, every time. Anything less is very poor sportsmanship!
Well said.
First round hits, safely taken, are primary considerations. Firing under field conditions, not from a sandbag, needs to be factored in too.

I looked at the 6.5CM and 260 the way I view the 300/338 Norma and the 338 Lapua. One is more optimized for running from a magazine and the other will certainly benefit from longer oal. That what made me go with the 6.5cm over the 260 mag length restrictions. Obviously both would run out of the mag but you can put more legs in the 260 with running a longer oal with a longer throat. AI it same shoulder as the CM it's no contest

Then a guy might as well run the 6.5-284.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.