Ultimate 1,000+ yard rig

I'm about to drop the hammer on one myself although I don't think I'll ever take a 1k shot on game but close.

I'm going to have APR build off of a defiance action with a 26 proof sendero lite and a gilled brake in an APR Hunter AG carbon stock. Looking at a 30-28 nos with a 9 twist to shoot the 215's.

I know there's more horse power out there but it's not needed imo. In reality the good ole 300 wm will get the job done.

The bare rifle will be right at 7 pounds and it will have a VX6HD 4-24 in seekins rings.

Last edited:
I just had mine built.
8tw 7rem mag with 28" proof Cf barrel
034BBAAE-AA8E-4910-A47B-4C7091FF5CA6.jpeg

23983484.png

Here ya go. For all the other guys that are suggesting rifles, please list the weights of them when you give a recommendation. This is a 7mm Allen Magnum, Nesika Bay Model M receiver, 30" Lilja #7 contour Stainless steel, fluted barrel, Medium Painkiller muzzle brake, Manner MCS-GAT stock, HS Precision DM system. NF NSZ NP-R1 5.5-22x50 My criteria for Kirby was to build one with the OP's weight restrictions. This is it. Right at 13# as pictured, under 10# sans scope and bipod.

I've run it out to 1400 yds. on rocks, but out to 1K on paper/steel, and have killed a coyote at 867 yds from a clean cold barrel, cow elk at 707 yds. A 1/2 scale standing groundhog steel target at 1K is a goner. I've shot 175g SMK's at 3475 fps, 180g Berger at 3400 and the 195 EOL Bergers at 3350 all with more enough accuracy to hunt antelope way past 1K. Plenty of energy as well. Recoil is about the same as my 6# .243 shooting 85g Barnes at 3300 fps.

Hummmm, BAT HR in single shot and nitrided timed with a Timney Calvin Elite. Kreiger or Rock #5 cut at 26 inc mehes with a MBM brake on the end.
Bed that in a Manners EH5 with LRI UL adjustable cheek hardware. BAT trigger guard and screws. Front extended rail for mounting Short Action Precision converted Harris bipod.
Topped of with a Kahles 525i in MOA and left side windage OR I really still like a 5.5-25 NXS.
Chambered in 30 Sherman Mag launching 230 Berger's. This puts me comfortably to 1400 yards, I would feel good to 1600 at my typical elk elevation actually.

Last edited:
Hummmm, BAT HR in single shot and nitrided timed with a Timney Calvin Elite. Kreiger or Rock #5 cut at 26 inc mehes with a MBM brake on the end.
Bed that in a Manners EH5 with LRI UL adjustable cheek hardware. BAT trigger guard and screws. Front extended rail for mounting Short Action Precision converted Harris bipod.
Topped of with a Kahles 525i in MOA and left side windage OR I really still like a 5.5-25 NXS.
Chambered in 30 Sherman Mag launching 230 Berger's. This puts me comfortably to 1400 yards comfortably to 1400 on elk.

Something in 7mm/.284 caliber w/ a 1:7.5 twist barrel.

For the past several years I would have said 7mm Rem Mag, and that would still be the case if you want to reach out beyond 1500...that or 7mm Practical. But recently (if you want something that uses ~40% less powder, will still carry 1000ft/lbs to 1000, and can be purpose built to weigh 7-9lbs with optics and still be easy to shoot) I'd look at the 7SAW by West Texas Ordinance.

8mm Remington Magnum with 220gr hand load at 3000 fps, 4350 fpe, scope NXS 5.5x25X52mm this combo can be kept at 13 lbs or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.