Your Personal RESULTS with custom long range HUNTING rifles built buy a PROFESSIONAL?

Highcountrybucks

I would like to hear only firsthand accuracy results from people who have had a long-range hunting rifle/scope system built buy a professional gunsmith/company. Secondly, have you had them develop a round and bought ammunition from them and was it truly consistently accurate, and the tracking was good as adjustments were made for various yardage (400 - 800)? The focus is on repeatable, accurate built rifles and ammunition, and we'll see if there is a common denominator! NOT interested in this post discussing ethics/calibers, etc. If you would recommend family to use this builder, I would appreciate you sharing the specifics on your triedd and true rifle.

Had a custom 6.5GAP4S built by GA Precision back in 2013. Their extreme hunter model. Went with the S&B PMII10x42 fixed with P3 reticle per advice of a certain friend and hunter/coyote assassin from Montana. Used the load recommended by GAP and it absolutely drills.
I'd recommend George and his crew to my family, friends and even my enemies if I had them.

I have a few custom rifles, yeah my obvious white privilege is showing through. I run ladders and develop all my own loads. Some companies will do it for you but why? Do it yourself and be sure you have the best cocktail. I have first hand worked with the following companies and know the builder, smith, and staff directly. Phone numbers, first name stuff etc...

GAP is awesome - also have a 6.5 GAP that I have run since about 2012/13. Shoots 140 gr VLDH's sub 1/2 MOA from day one and has through a 459 round count. GAP says a bbl will last 2000+ so we shall see. Shoots right around .25
Also have a 30 Nosler they did for me with same outcome with 210 ablrs. Shoots right around .4
Also have a 7mm/338 Norma Improved - yup same outcome with 195 Berger. Shoots around .4

Snowy Mtn Rifle built 2 for me. A 7/300 PRC wildcat and a 6MM CM. ...again, consistent sub 1/2 MOA rifles with the 6mm right around .2
Also did a 22-250 ai some time ago...probably 1250 rounds through it and still performing. Just did my second ladder test on it due to some chamber burn, it tuned right in and shoots in the high 2s

All rifles have Kahles scopes on them with all the sexy carbon stocks, barrels, and high end triggers.

I have three HS Precision rifles.
SPL 300 WM- shoots 1/2 consistently.
Killed elk, mule deer and bear with it. Swaro X5i.
PHL in 6.5 PRC Swaro X5 most accurate gun I own. Shot steel to 1100+. No kills yet.
HTR 260 rem NXS. My first PRS placed 15 out of 68 shooters.
On the other hand I have a 4K Dakota 280AI that I can't get to consistently shoot under MOA.

If a customer doesn't have a close relationship with his chosen builder, in-house shooting and load development before the gun leaves the shop would seem to be a plus. And not every buyer loads his own ammo.
Some test shots and development should assure quality, for the desired final result.
The best of the best can make a boo-boo too.
And not every component is tip top quality, even with a well known name on the box. But usually they will make it right if there is an issue.
Been there more than once.!

Mine isn't as cool or custom as others, but I like it.
Weatherby Vanguard Action
Oregon Mountain Rifles CF Faster Twist Barrel and Brake
Bell and Carlson Stock
Stock was fitted and bedded by Axisworks
Timney Trigger
Burris Veracity 3x15 scope with Seekins Rings and EGW Rail

It shoots well. I developed a load with 128gr Hammer Hunters. This is 3 shots at 500 Yards. Copper strikes are the Hammers. The lead strikes are the same gun with 135gr Berger, the Berger load is not developed yet, that was a test load. The rifle tends to put 2 shots almost touching, then the 3rd moves a little.

Attachments

• 20221230_095300.jpg
    20221230_095300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
If a customer doesn't have a close relationship with his chosen builder, in-house shooting and load development before the gun leaves the shop would seem to be a plus. And not every buyer loads his own ammo.
Some test shots and development should assure quality, for the desired final result.
The best of the best can make a boo-boo too.
And not every component is tip top quality, even with a well known name on the box. But usually they will make it right if there is an issue.
Been there more than once.!
Agreed. Would you care to share the accuracy results and builders of your specific custom rifles?

7SS built by Sherwood Tactical, .4 moa to 500yds with nosler 160 Accubond/ballistic tip
.25 Sherman LA built by Bill's Custom Autos/Sherwood Tac .5 to 500yds with 115gr ballistic tip
.300 win by Bill's Custom Autos .5 moa at 500 with nosler 200gr Accubond
7 PRC by Lane Precision Rifles .3 to 1moa from 300-500yds. 175 elite hunters. I bought a very light rifle, and decided now to go with more weight and length in the pipe. After talking with Dallas we are going to re-barrel it with a Bartlein that I am supplying. Intend to use 180 LRHT in it.
New toy-6.5 Sherman Max is at Sherwood Tac now, should be spitting 153.5 Bergers this weekend.
25 Sherman Max is next, waiting on a custom Manners to arrive. 135 LRHT

I load my own, and generally have a particular bullet in mind ahead of time.
for better or worse.
The LR bug is biting and I'm getting better equipped, mostly for steel shooting

Wow, you have some nice rifles. I appreciate you sharing. I was just looking at Lane's site. Comparing Lane, R Bros, and McWhorter's builds.
Check out Axisworks. They build some amazing rifles. If I had the money and need for another custom/semi-custom they are getting the work.

They have done alot of other smaller work for me with threading brakes, bedding rifles, etc. All top notch. Eric's team is legit. https://axisworksaz.com/

I've had a few built. I've always done my own load development as I enjoy the process. The one that sticks out the most would be my wife's 7 prc. She wanted to be able to shoot factory so we settled on that. My smith has his own version of the Alex wheeler reamers. That rifle shoots wayyy better than it should. It shoots factory extremely consistent. Would I personally hunt with it to 600 yards no, 500 and in yes. Handloads different ball game. His attention to detail is awesome. My smith has helped build rifles for my dad, step dad, step mom, father-in-law,a good friends husband and he will be building my nephews. I'm not sure that he is taking any new work at the moment but is it worth it? To me all day every day. He will be putting together 4 budget prs rifles for us this winter. Plus the knowledge that he shares with me is also another huge plus. As far as accuracy goes. That's in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not big on three shot groups any more. I don't even really take an fps average until I hit 50 rounds. The customs guns tend to be easier to load as I shot mostly wildcats that aren't available in factory ammo. 7 max, 270 sherman 6.5 sherman short, 6.5prc improved. 3 7 different prc's. 1 isn't done yet the other two all shot sub 1 inch 5 shot groups. With factory 180 eldm at 100. The thing I will say with the factory ammo is I've had 4 different lots of factory ammo for the 7 prc and only one of them have been close to the fps listed on the box. There fore I'd never shoot an animal over 500 because the es is far greater than what I'm comfortable with. I'll post some pictures of what he has done for us. Feel free to pm if you'd like to chat more. He doesn't pick many components as I do my research and know what I like.

Attachments

• IMG_7580.jpeg
    IMG_7580.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7081.jpeg
    IMG_7081.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 234
  • 70529047938__D4363CEC-8981-467A-8155-4C620490E5C1.jpeg
    70529047938__D4363CEC-8981-467A-8155-4C620490E5C1.jpeg