Your Personal RESULTS with custom long range HUNTING rifles built buy a PROFESSIONAL?

I've had custom rifles built by more smiths than I can even remember. Virtually all of them shot as well as I could shoot and/or develop loads for. None of them disappointed me. Recently I had Alex Wheeler put a 6mmBR together for me. It will shoot under .25moa @ 400yds fairly easily. I've read about guns that were so accurate and dependable that they are boring. I think this may be my most boring rifle.

I've had a few built. I've always done my own load development as I enjoy the process. The one that sticks out the most would be my wife's 7 prc. She wanted to be able to shoot factory so we settled on that. My smith has his own version of the Alex wheeler reamers. That rifle shoots wayyy better than it should. It shoots factory extremely consistent. Would I personally hunt with it to 600 yards no, 500 and in yes. Handloads different ball game. His attention to detail is awesome. My smith has helped build rifles for my dad, step dad, step mom, father-in-law,a good friends husband and he will be building my nephews. I'm not sure that he is taking any new work at the moment but is it worth it? To me all day every day. He will be putting together 4 budget prs rifles for us this winter. Plus the knowledge that he shares with me is also another huge plus. As far as accuracy goes. That's in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not big on three shot groups any more. I don't even really take an fps average until I hit 50 rounds. The customs guns tend to be easier to load as I shot mostly wildcats that aren't available in factory ammo. 7 max, 270 sherman 6.5 sherman short, 6.5prc improved. 3 7 different prc's. 1 isn't done yet the other two all shot sub 1 inch 5 shot groups. With factory 180 eldm at 100. The thing I will say with the factory ammo is I've had 4 different lots of factory ammo for the 7 prc and only one of them have been close to the fps listed on the box. There fore I'd never shoot an animal over 500 because the es is far greater than what I'm comfortable with. I'll post some pictures of what he has done for us. Feel free to pm if you'd like to chat more. He doesn't pick many components as I do my research and know what I like.
Great looking guns.

2 shots tests the rifle, 3 shots tests the shooter... my age old smart a... comment. Busting your chops... lol

Nice group at distance.
I am not the best shooter, so if those are the groups the rifle shooters because of me I will take it. 🤣

Those groups were also shoot prone using my hunting pack as the front rest with a small bag at the base of the stock. Not ideal, but I was practicing for real world shots.

I like my semi custom I posted about earlier, but alot of rifles off the shelf these days are capable of some amazing things especially if you can load for them. I bought a Sako S20 off eurooptics for $1100, and put a Burris 4x20 XTRII on it from Natchez for $600. All in I am under $2k and the rifle shoots. The load development isn't done yet and it has shot several loads around .5moa, and shots most things very well. It is a 300 win mag.

It isn't as cool as my other semi-custom, but it shoots well for a fair amount less money.

Attachments

• 20230730_104303.jpg
    20230730_104303.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230818_131238.jpg
    20230818_131238.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Unfortunately, or fortunately, I think most ruger Americans are as accurate as customs.
This is very true. None of the flash, fit or finish, but you can often get a 1/2-3/4moa ruger American for $400. It's pretty ridiculous. My brother has a bubba'd American in 223 that he drags out just to screw with people. Shoots under 1/2moa, looks like a dog. Has a stockys laminate stock with a knee pad spray adhesived and then stapled onto the cheek piece as a cheek riser. Custom dremeled mags to run longer bullets. The bastard will frequently stretch it to 1200 yards and have regular hits on an 18x24 steel. It's just unnatural.

This is very true. None of the flash, fit or finish, but you can often get a 1/2-3/4moa ruger American for $400. It's pretty ridiculous. My brother has a bubba'd American in 223 that he drags out just to screw with people. Shoots under 1/2moa, looks like a dog. Has a stockys laminate stock with a knee pad spray adhesived and then stapled onto the cheek piece as a cheek riser. Custom dremeled mags to run longer bullets. The bastard will frequently stretch it to 1200 yards and have regular hits on an 18x24 steel. It's just unnatural.
That's funny! I have the same rifle in a Boyd's Prairie Hunter laminate stock that shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA at 100 yards consistently. But these are outliers. OTOH, I would say that it is not unusual that a high-end rifle maker like Sako can make a better rifle than 95% of the gunsmiths out there. They have the equipment and materials no gunsmith can match.

As far as price goes , once you have a few custom rifles on your rack , the cost of rebarreling is quiet affordable,in comparison to a full build . Kinda like reloading ,once you buy the tools the price of dies are cheap .
the savings in copper remover and patches alone are worth the price of A hand lappped barrel , lol
if you have rem or savage donor rifles , the prefits are a cost effective way to get a great rifle ,which is the way i started out ,
i learned alot about bedding, stock work , crowning ,head spacing , ect . fun hobby and knowledge that can be handed down. A turn key long range capable rifle out of the box cost money ,there is alot of time that goes into putting it all together ,and for the people NOT looking for another hobby its a good option to have out there.
its all just a time vs money balance and the never ending struggle to keep the wife talking to you in a pleasant manor!

I've had a few built. I've always done my own load development as I enjoy the process. The one that sticks out the most would be my wife's 7 prc. She wanted to be able to shoot factory so we settled on that. My smith has his own version of the Alex wheeler reamers. That rifle shoots wayyy better than it should. It shoots factory extremely consistent. Would I personally hunt with it to 600 yards no, 500 and in yes. Handloads different ball game. His attention to detail is awesome. My smith has helped build rifles for my dad, step dad, step mom, father-in-law,a good friends husband and he will be building my nephews. I'm not sure that he is taking any new work at the moment but is it worth it? To me all day every day. He will be putting together 4 budget prs rifles for us this winter. Plus the knowledge that he shares with me is also another huge plus. As far as accuracy goes. That's in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not big on three shot groups any more. I don't even really take an fps average until I hit 50 rounds. The customs guns tend to be easier to load as I shot mostly wildcats that aren't available in factory ammo. 7 max, 270 sherman 6.5 sherman short, 6.5prc improved. 3 7 different prc's. 1 isn't done yet the other two all shot sub 1 inch 5 shot groups. With factory 180 eldm at 100. The thing I will say with the factory ammo is I've had 4 different lots of factory ammo for the 7 prc and only one of them have been close to the fps listed on the box. There fore I'd never shoot an animal over 500 because the es is far greater than what I'm comfortable with. I'll post some pictures of what he has done for us. Feel free to pm if you'd like to chat more. He doesn't pick many components as I do my research and know what I like.
Very nice collection! Thank you for sharing.

As far as price goes , once you have a few custom rifles on your rack , the cost of rebarreling is quiet affordable,in comparison to a full build . Kinda like reloading ,once you buy the tools the price of dies are cheap .
the savings in copper remover and patches alone are worth the price of A hand lappped barrel , lol
if you have rem or savage donor rifles , the prefits are a cost effective way to get a great rifle ,which is the way i started out ,
i learned alot about bedding, stock work , crowning ,head spacing , ect . fun hobby and knowledge that can be handed down. A turn key long range capable rifle out of the box cost money ,there is alot of time that goes into putting it all together ,and for the people NOT looking for another hobby its a good option to have out there.
its all just a time vs money balance and the never ending struggle to keep the wife talking to you in a pleasant manor!

I'd have to disagree with that. I recently had a rifle rebarreled with a SS match bbl. Here's what it cost:
barrel - $445
GS work - $400
Shipping $100 each way

That's over $1,000

My most recent rebarrel:

Bart-Carbon $800 delivered
GS work - $400
Threaded for muzzle brake $100-$150 (I forget which)
Brake $225
That's about $1,600 without any shipping

Yeah - there are cheaper ways to go but rebarreling a custom rifle that you already own still isn't "inexpensive" for the average guy.

Just my 2 cents.

I have 4 GAPs:
300 WM Bartlien #3 1:9 twist 215 Bergers
300 WM Bartlien #6 1:9 twist 215 Bergers
6.5 GAP Bartlien #2B & Impact action 1:8 twist 156 Bergers
GAP10 .308 150 SST

All will shoot 1/2 MOA with hand loads after I tuned the loads to the specific rifle. I have yet to try any factory ammo that would consistently get 1/2 MOA in any of them. That includes Bergers/ Applied Ballistics 300WM 215 gr ammo. The two 300WMs were both cut with the same reamer spec and yet the two rifles take a different load in both charge weight and seating depth to achieve consistent 1/2 MOA. It usually takes me 200-300 rds to dial in a load but that doesn't bother me too much as the Lab Radar says the barrels are breaking in for the first 150+/- rounds.

I also have a LPR .338 that I never have gotten around to putting the effort in to find a load for. It only has about 50 rds through it. Just like the GAPs, the 1st 50 rds were not in the 1/2 MOA category.

Yeah - there are cheaper ways to go but rebarreling a custom rifle that you already own still isn't "inexpensive" for the average guy.

If you have a high degree of confidence in your GS and in your build, one option to save some money is to get a second barrel with your original build. I did this with my GAP 6.5. It still wasn't cheap but it did save a few hundred dollars. (It may have helped that the Impact action is supposed to allow prefits).

Your overall estimates though are close to what it cost me when I re-barreled my first GAP 300 WM to get a tighter twist barrel that allowed me to shoot the 215s. Either way, the cost is less than a new build but it still isn't inexpensive.

Recent Posts