Long range custom air rifles ?

WYOHTF

What do you think about this.
With times changing before our eyes, and technology being were it's at.
How far can a custom large bore air rifle(.357-?) effectively perform on big game?
Just curious, and don't want this to turn political.
And does your state allow an air rifle to be used on big game?

A little different, but have shot starlings and english sparrows out to 100ish yards with my 22cal pcp rifle. That is stretching it with that particular gun, 5 shot groups at 50 yards average around .5-.75" using JSB Diablo 18.3 grain, and they are going 840 fps. This is nothing special, it's a benjamin discovery, I have polished up the barrel, recrowned it, added a second barrel band, added a moderator, tuned up the trigger, added an adjustable hammer spring and tuned it to find optimal psi and round count for consistency with the 18.3 grain JSB's. I get about 24 really good consistent shots per fill, and around 30 useable shots. I have shot everything up to big jackrabbits and rock chucks with it, and it works great, and is really quiet. It is deadly for squirrels, grouse, rabbits and such.

Next rifle I want to get is an FX Bobcat MKIII in 25 cal. With the accuracy and energy of these type of guns, in "survival" type scenarios, one could make well placed head shots on game up to deer sized out to 50ish yards no problem, and do it very quietly, and possibly easier than with a bow, plus it is a fantastic way to keep in practice, and you aren't seeing a "pellet shortage" like we are seeing with reloading components....one can stock up on several thousand rounds for very cheap, though the initial cost can make up for it!!! Ha ha. The big bores Like the 357, 45 cal and so on are great for hunting big game, just treat them like you are archery hunting as far as shot placement and tracking. I watched a show where a guy take a Kudu at like 80 yards with I think the 45 cal texan ha ha, pretty awesome. They aren't really practical for getting a lot of practice like the smaller calibers are, as they are air hogs (sometimes only 3 good shots per fill!!) and ammo is much more expensive in comparison to 22 and 25 cal pellets (though if you have a pot and a mould, you can make your own!), however if big game is on the docket, they are definitely the go to. I would say as effective as archery, with a longer range, and not as much concern for the animal "jumping the shot" as they can do with a bow, as your projectile is moving 3x the speed or so. The 45 cal texan almost exactly duplicates a 45 long colt out of a pistol for energy, if you want a centerfire comparison, but with much better accuracy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.