Your Opinion on Drag bag/mat vs case and bringing mat?

matt_3479

Curious what you guys like as far as shooting mats and bringing a rifle case or something like a Drag bag/mat in one? I was thinking of getting a drag bag but seems like a pain in the *** casue you need to take everything out before using the mat?
Lets hear it

If you need a case of some sort to carry around a rifle it's not a bad way to go.

If you already have all the rifle cases you need it's a waste of money.

I rarely shoot off of any kind of mat but when I do I just use a surplus sleeping bag foam pad. They are dirt cheap and do the job very well.

If you need something to keep down the dust from your muzzle blast all you need is a piece of canvas or something similar about 2 yards x a yard. A toe sack (simple burlap bag) cut down both sides and laid out flat works great.

PROS and CONS with the drag bag.

Most drag bags will fit rifles up to 55" OAL.
Some of them have shoulder straps.

When shooting prone, sometimes the dirt will be on the mat, you have to clean it up before putting the rifles and stuff inside.
Some of them are not water proof.

I would have to look up what I have. But it is basically a 3 sectoin case- matt. My rifle fits nice and has shoulder strap and D rings so I could easy rig to horse. I love it for rig type hunting, rainy or snow and just flop it out. For hike hunting I dont touch it. I practice off it also for in field

My vote is for the drag bag. I'm a huge fan of gear pulling double duty.

I currently own and use one made by Condor. It's survived my hunting adventures and range days. A neat feature it has is removable and/or storable shoulder straps so it can be worn like a backpack.

They are a good price and so, far I've been happy with the quality.

I use a GunSlinger II pack and if I feel the need to bring along my Midway mat it easily attaches to the pack for quick on and off.

For hunting situations where I hunt from a vantage point or its feasible to set up, and for test shots in the field , I carry a nylon mat that's roughly 4x7 feet in size. it's waterproof, quiet, and shakes dust and dirt off easily. It folds to take little room in my daypack. It serves other uses as well. After several years, this has proved to be the most effective and practical approach for my hunting style.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts