Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
300WM. Already have 2, a Savage 111, and a series 2 Vanguard. Can't believe this inexpensive rifle, the Vanguard. Does everything and more that I do and want to do. Short range coyotes, to long range lions. 600 yards. For an old man with inexpensive equipment, I'm a happy guy. I know 600 yards is a drop in the bucket, compared to 1000 and beyond, but !!!!
I use Sierra's 180 Gamekings in front of 74gr of RL22.

300WM. Already have 2, a Savage 111, and a series 2 Vanguard. Can't believe this inexpensive rifle, the Vanguard. Does everything and more that I do and want to do. Short range coyotes, to long range lions. 600 yards. For an old man with inexpensive equipment, I'm a happy guy. I know 600 yards is a drop in the bucket, compared to 1000 and beyond, but !!!!
I use Sierra's 180 Gamekings in front of 74gr of RL22.:D

Oh gee. How I wish I was in a position to aquire a custom. I am pleased with my series 2 Vanguard, but a custom would be great. I had an older Vanguard,, and was never happy with it.
However, as much as I like this factory rack Vanguard, I really think the very best rack rifle that can be had are made by CZ. Had to sell it for medicle bills a few years ago. Mt next purchase for the Vanguard will be a Vortex scope{i am saving my money} from LRH site. I had the opportunnity to shoot a custom rifle in 338 Lapua Mag with a Vortex on it. Didn't make my day, made my whole decade. Was 0 problem hitting the bull at 1000 yards. I was shocked, to say the least. What does THE GOOD BOOK say, old men shall dream dreams? Well I am. I know THE BOOK isn't referring to a custom rifle, but shucks.

I am planning to build myself a new rifle in 7mm STW, the standard 7mm has been my wish for a long time but in considering the better long range capabilities of the STW I am HIGHLY considering it.
What do you all think? 7MM or 7MM STW?
lightbulb

For me, the farther I can put a bullet in the bull, the more fun I am having. I am not familiar with the 7mm stw, but if it does what you want, do it.

If I had the bucks, I would most certainly go with the 338 Lapua Mag. What a round. Savage makes a couple of rifles in that caliber. I know they are not custom rifles, but they are very good rifles, especially for the money.

A friend of mine recently purchased one for $1600.00. I think it is BA10, nice LARGE shooter. Now he's is looking at Nightforce or Vortex to put on it.

He will be having fun.

I am planning to build myself a new rifle in 7mm STW, the standard 7mm has been my wish for a long time but in considering the better long range capabilities of the STW I am HIGHLY considering it.
What do you all think? 7MM or 7MM STW?
lightbulb

Definitely 7mm STW if you are building a new rifle. I absolutely love my twin 7mm STW Senderos. They are very accurate and deadly! :)

I would think about what twist you want in the barrel. If you are going with heavier bullets, i.e., 175 or better, you should probably have at the minimum 1-9 twist.

Look at this thread for a lot of useful and wealth of information on the 7mm STW:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...who-shoot-7mm-shooting-times-westerner-88228/ :D

Good Luck!

Thank you for you replies.

I will check that link. I have about decided on the STW. I will need to find shells ( not an easy thing right now). But once I get a couple hundred ill be good for awhile.

Twin Sendero 7 mm STW's? Lol that is really great.
I've heard the Sendero is a great platform, and I've never heard of anyone that has or did have an STW that didn't love shooting it.

I am planning to send some bullets as far down range as i can. i am thinking of at least a 28 to 30 inch barrel and i plan on a nightforce 5x22x50 optic. while i do not want to spend unlimited funds on a big shooter, i am thinking i want something that you can not run down and pick off of a shelf. I have reloaded my whole life so that is a given and the Berger VLD is an excellent bullet, and I heard there is a new A Max that is supposed to have crazy ballistics as well.

Gamehawker can you tell me what the expected barrel life on the STW is?

Ok.... I am now jonesing to get the ball rolling! Can hardly wait for gun)

Thanks again for the link gamehawker.

Kevin @ MontourCountyRifles.com is building me a .300 Win Mag.
Long Action Stiller Predator
Brux/.308 cal/1-11 Twist
Wyatts MBE-3Box Mag
PTG Rem 700 Long BDL Floor Plate
Soon To Be Done.

William Roscoe called to day to tell me my 300 Rum would be done in two or three days.Can't wait been two years an one mouth.

Barrel-Krieger Rem-Varmint at 26" 1-10 Twist
Trued Rem 700 action
PTG one peace fluted bolt with M16 extractor
Williams recoil lug
Pillar bedded
Wyatt's extended mag box
Jewell hvr trigger,set at 2lbs
KMW tactical bolt knob
Manners-mcs T5A stock
Kampfeld muzzle brake like the badger thruster
Muzzle thread protector
Barrel spiral fluted by Kampfeld