Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
I have been looking at building a 7X68 rimmed in a replica 1885 high wall.

The goal would be to have a rimmed case for extraction and shoot the 175 and 180 gr VLD Berger bullets over 3000 fps with Retumbo or VV N-570.

What can you tell me about possible sizing dies. Do you know of a bushing die that I could use for routine sizing in 7mm X 68 ?

What size die are you going to use in your 8X68S ?

I have been looking at building a 7X68 rimmed in a replica 1885 high wall.

The goal would be to have a rimmed case for extraction and shoot the 175 and 180 gr VLD Berger bullets over 3000 fps with Retumbo or VV N-570.

What can you tell me about possible sizing dies. Do you know of a bushing die that I could use for routine sizing in 7mm X 68 ?

What size die are you going to use in your 8X68S ?

To be honest I have never heard of a 7x68R (rimmed or flanged) before. The 8x 68S is also called "the German Magnum" and was created in the late 1930's for boltaction. You'll find dies from RCBS, Hornady and Redding for it (Midway). I know about the 7x65R (284')which is still a very popular caliber with a bullet speed like the 280 Rem or 7x64. That means easy more than 3000 fps with 130 - 150gr. bullets. Then you can hit dies of a rimmed (flanged) mag like the 7x72R v. Hofe (284'). For what kind of 7mm bullet are you looking for? Do you mean 275' or 284'? Did you take a look at the 7mm H & H flanged mag (275')? Hope I could give you some input solving your challenge.

I do not need "dies". The traditional seating die will not work with VLD bullets. I will use a Wilson seating die created with the barrel chambering reamer.

Berger VLD bullets 7mm bullets are .284 in diameter.

The 7X64 or 7x65 rimmed or rimless will not provide the velocity for big game hunting at long range with 180 gr bullets.

What I am looking for is a bushing size die so I can control neck tension and partial sizing.

What are you going to use to size?

I can use 6.5 X 68 rimmed RWS brass.

I would build a 6.5 but I already have four in that size.

I do not need "dies". The traditional seating die will not work with VLD bullets. I will use a Wilson seating die created with the barrel chambering reamer.

Berger VLD bullets 7mm bullets are .284 in diameter.

The 7X64 or 7x65 rimmed or rimless will not provide the velocity for big game hunting at long range with 180 gr bullets.

What I am looking for is a bushing size die so I can control neck tension and partial sizing.

What are you going to use to size?

I can use 6.5 X 68 rimmed RWS brass.

I would build a 6.5 but I already have four in that size.

First of all in Europe we almost don't use Berger VLD - bullets for big game hunting, because they are much to soft for our purposes! Different philosphy, we use mostly bonded bullets. Longrange hunting in Europe is on maximum up to 300m for big game, due to "ethics" and laws. If you really like to fire a 180gr. bullet out of a rimmed case for longrange hunting, why aren't you then using 30' or 323' bullets? 7mm bullets heavier than 168gr in high velocities seem to be meaningless for me. Take a closer look to the 30R Blaser or try to form some kind of 8x68RS. I've got no idea what you could use for sizing in your special case.

The Berger is meant for reduced true "LRH" terminal velocities not 300m...for 300m the best bullet would more likely be the Barnes Triple Shock

The Berger is meant for reduced true "LRH" terminal velocities not 300m...for 300m the best bullet would more likely be the Barnes Triple Shock

[FONT=&quot]I'm fully aware of what you are writing, and it's true. That's the reason why we don't use "softies" like the VLD…Under the lead free both the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX are really nice, accurate and competitive. As I wrote in my mail to you 14.04.13 (hope you received it?) they don't reach Lutz Moeller's MJG in speed, sudden impact, flat trajectory or accuracy! The old and famous 7x57 (your favorite) goes by 3109fps V/0 m and 2871fps V/100m out of a 24' barrel and just falls 0, 42 ft at 300m! The MJG was tested more than successfully on all continents from small predators over moose, deer and plains game up to water buffalos, donkeys. Often far beyond 300m…[/FONT]

7mm Rem Mag if PTG ever gets the reamer sent out to my smith...that's been on order since NOVEMBER and was lost once already.

If one was to quit following the leader and think for themselves they could check out a 338-378 weatherby. load it with a 300 gr berger with the barrel setback for no freebore. and load it with h570 for 3100 fps. LESS than half inch all day long. Check out the drop and energy numbers on it. No 338 lapua can come close. I sure wish Kirby would/could build on DTA arms chassis a 338 snipe tac with a 36 in barrel is a hell of a idea!

Recent Posts