You NEED to keep this in your reloading area.

orkan

If you don't already, you are just ASKING for trouble if you don't have one of these in your reloading area.

http://amzn.to/29l9nYN

This is especially true if you anneal, but you really should have one in there anyway. It could save your life, lives of your family, and possibly everything you own. For $50, that's some pretty **** cheap insurance. I just recently got one, and I feel like a complete moron for not having one around for the last 20 years. For some reason, it just never came up.

At the very least, get this little one: http://amzn.to/29l9mE9

I cannot remember in my serious adult life that I have not had at least one in my house.:) I usually see at least one of them everyday.

We've always had a couple around the house too... but I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner to keep one around the annealing setup!

I have had a large fire extinguisher in my home for about 30 years, never used it, thank goodness.

I believe they need to be recharged occasionally. Does anyone know how often?

Mine has gages on them. If it's really old it might be worth it to just replace.
I don't know for sure but your insurance may help. ?
If I had an insurance company I would definitely want working fire extinguishers in my policy holders homes.

Great reminder!

The worst butt whippin' I had as a child was day I decided empty the fire extinguisher on my mom's new carpet. This was sometime in the late 70's when green shag carpet was all the rage.

Best I remember, fire extinguishers need visually checked ( pressure guage, hose, weight, pin still in the handle, etc.) Every months. Checked by a quilified person every year. Replaced every 6 years.

I keep 2-30 pounders in the garage, ( reloading room is located) 10 pounder in reloading room, 2-10s in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom, 1 in the hallway closet.

Check to make sure the class of your extinguishers are A,B,C....for kitchen they need to be at least class C and class K

Best I remember, fire extinguishers need visually checked ( pressure guage, hose, weight, pin still in the handle, etc.) Every months. Checked by a quilified person every year. Replaced every 6 years.

I keep 2-30 pounders in the garage, ( reloading room is located) 10 pounder in reloading room, 2-10s in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom, 1 in the hallway closet.

Check to make sure the class of your extinguishers are A,B,C....for kitchen they need to be at least class C and class K

Absolutely correct! The "charge" in the bottle is good for 6 years. Depending on the brand the year date of manufacture will be stamped on the bottom with 2 numerals or on the data tag with a 4 numeral date. CO2 extinguishers are weighed with the year date stamped on the top with 2 numerals preceded by the letter A. CO2s do not expire but will need to be hydrostatically tested every 12 years.
The bottle on ABC extinguishers will need to be hydrostatically tested every 12 years also.

Stay safe! DocB

I agree having fire extinguishers handy is a great thing, but, no fire extinguisher made will put out burning gun powder! It can't be extinguished due to it containing it's own oxidiser.

I still have several 5kg/10lb extinguishers in my home!

Cheers.
gun)

I have had half a dozen for a very long time, got them from were i worked by DUMPSTER DIVING and then took too a firm that recharges them cost about six bucks each, price will depend on condition and make.

+1 on the good point

A man might pick up one of the smaller ( cheaper ) gun safes just for powder storage. 200-400 bucks is a lot better then loosing your home or more importantly your family.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.