xl, wide, flat boot help please

Smokepoles

I pretty much have the trifecta of screwed up feet. I wear a 13-14, 4e width plus, have zero arch. Also have earned myself tendinitis in my calves and feet, I tore my right plantar tending one year deer stalking and my left Achilles next year turkey hunting. It's time I find myself some quality footwear instead of the best I can find locally. I tried my orthopedist but they don't seem to understand that I don't have an arch and they can't magically give me one, everything they gave me just feels like I'm walking on a golf ball. I'm in south fl, not much in the way of custom boots around here. From my research sounds like rei may be a good place to start? Anyone have any experience with similar issues and shopping online or over the phone? Any brand or models that worked for you?Thanks I'm advance for any advice, what a debacle finding footwear has turned into!

Almost forgot.. will be used for everything from swamp hunting here to mountain hunting out west, I intend to buy multiple styles when I find a good fit. Thanks again

I am in the same boat as you, 4E width, you CANNOT find any production boot that will fit! you gotta go with a custom boot. Contact hoffman boots in Kellogg Idaho, great boots - a conversation over the phone stating what you need im sure they can come up with a better option for you.

These should run you around $500 - well worth the investment!

You guys are making feel better! I am a 15 4E size and wear 15 or 16 depending upon boot cut in extra wide. I wear a 15 4E New Balance shoe a lot.
The all around hunting boot I use is Irish Setter Elk Tracker. They come in all different insulation weights etc. I wear the 16 EE 600 gm which I have found to be good for my 15 4E and I have the lighter one in 15 2 E if I wear a very light merino wool sock. They run wide from my experience. Extremely comfortable boot, wore well in multiple altitude hunts plus home use. Warm, never leaked and are holding up really well.
https://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/hunting-boots?category=big-game
I have used Propet hiking boots for a long time and are killer boots for light shoe type hunting. They come in all sorts of sizes and widths. I actually wear mine in 15 5E and plenty of room. They are ok in light moisture conditions but not so much if steady wet.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X37J5K/?tag=lrhmag19-20
Muddy

I would steer clear of REI for wide boots, best case scenario they will have 2 pairs (1 keen and 1 Lowa), neither of which were anywhere close to wide enough for me. I recently got a new pair of Crispi's Wyomings in 12.5 Wide and they have by far the most width I have tried in any boots, including Lowa's up to size 14. So far I'm loving them. If Crispi's aren't an option for whatever reason, Lathrop and Sons has a custom boot fitting thing they do via the mail, taking a bunch of pictures and foot traces. Prior to Lathrop producing their own boots a lot of guys really swore by their fitting system, so that could be an option if you strike out ordering and returning pairs from other retailers.

All in all, I have had far more success buying boots online than I have in stores, so I would not let the online aspect psych you out.

Great thanks guys. I started looking at crispis too but I'll have to actually call them all to get width specs. I wish they would give a little more detail than wide. Most say 2e on they're sites at best if they give any real spec at all

Somewhat in the same boat here. I just want to comment on the foot part, not the boot part as it may offer some help and make it short.
Size 13/14 pizza box foot, I have been through my share of steroid shots in the bottom of my feet for plantar fasciitus, 800.00 orthodox, custom foot beds, etc.. My foot pain was unbearable from ground pounding and an above average active life.
One night I was watching tv and a cheesy infomercial came on for Walk Fit Orthodics and I must of watched the whole thing. Back then they were about 19.99 so, the next day I ordered them. I didnt have much faith in them helping a bit...That was 15ish years ago and I just ordered 2 more pair last week on Amazon.
I have them in every boot and pair of shoes(dress and running) I own and they have solved every foot issue I had. My local hunting buddies are wearing them now.
Order your size, follow the directions - an hour the first day...2 the next.... They will first feel like you have a tennis ball under your arch but, soon it just feels right.
Hoping the best.

Somewhat in the same boat here. I just want to comment on the foot part, not the boot part as it may offer some help and make it short.
Size 13/14 pizza box foot, I have been through my share of steroid shots in the bottom of my feet for plantar fasciitus, 800.00 orthodox, custom foot beds, etc.. My foot pain was unbearable from ground pounding and an above average active life.
One night I was watching tv and a cheesy infomercial came on for Walk Fit Orthodics and I must of watched the whole thing. Back then they were about 19.99 so, the next day I ordered them. I didnt have much faith in them helping a bit...That was 15ish years ago and I just ordered 2 more pair last week on Amazon.
I have them in every boot and pair of shoes(dress and running) I own and they have solved every foot issue I had. My local hunting buddies are wearing them now.
Order your size, follow the directions - an hour the first day...2 the next.... They will first feel like you have a tennis ball under your arch but, soon it just feels right.
Hoping the best.

I gotta say- that is some or the best advice I've ever gotten, those inserts are legit. Had them less than a week and already a huge difference can't thank you enough! On another note I think I'm going to give the crispi hunters or guides a try, is it better to go direct to crispi or just find them wherever they are in stock? Thanks

I gotta say- that is some or the best advice I've ever gotten, those inserts are legit. Had them less than a week and already a huge difference can't thank you enough! On another note I think I'm going to give the crispi hunters or guides a try, is it better to go direct to crispi or just find them wherever they are in stock? Thanks
Ah, good to hear. Soon it will feel awkward to put a shoe on without them in. They sure have helped me for years.

I pretty much have the trifecta of screwed up feet. I wear a 13-14, 4e width plus, have zero arch. Also have earned myself tendinitis in my calves and feet, I tore my right plantar tending one year deer stalking and my left Achilles next year turkey hunting. It's time I find myself some quality footwear instead of the best I can find locally. I tried my orthopedist but they don't seem to understand that I don't have an arch and they can't magically give me one, everything they gave me just feels like I'm walking on a golf ball. I'm in south fl, not much in the way of custom boots around here. From my research sounds like rei may be a good place to start? Anyone have any experience with similar issues and shopping online or over the phone? Any brand or models that worked for you?Thanks I'm advance for any advice, what a debacle finding footwear has turned into!

Almost forgot.. will be used for everything from swamp hunting here to mountain hunting out west, I intend to buy multiple styles when I find a good fit. Thanks again
CRISPI makes some wonderful boots. Out of SLC, Utah. All the support in the world. I have never found a REALLY good boot at REI. Google them. I Bought a pair in August, wore them around the house a couple of times and then went Elk hunting with Pack and 10-12 miles per day. Feet felt great at the end of the day.

I actually got a pair of crispis to try and I love them, I'll be ordering another next week. Only worn them a few days but wow, they're awesome. Foot bed could be better but that's same with anything, regardless o found a winner

You guys are making feel better! I am a 15 4E size and wear 15 or 16 depending upon boot cut in extra wide. I wear a 15 4E New Balance shoe a lot.
The all around hunting boot I use is Irish Setter Elk Tracker. They come in all different insulation weights etc. I wear the 16 EE 600 gm which I have found to be good for my 15 4E and I have the lighter one in 15 2 E if I wear a very light merino wool sock. They run wide from my experience. Extremely comfortable boot, wore well in multiple altitude hunts plus home use. Warm, never leaked and are holding up really well.
https://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/hunting-boots?category=big-game
I have used Propet hiking boots for a long time and are killer boots for light shoe type hunting. They come in all sorts of sizes and widths. I actually wear mine in 15 5E and plenty of room. They are ok in light moisture conditions but not so much if steady wet.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X37J5K/?tag=lrhmag19-20
Muddy

Gotta tell you M/boots I have done COUNTLESS internet searches as I also wear size 14-15/4E boots and never a single time has the website you posted a link to came up. Thanks will give them a look. I am cursed with box car sized feet but never any foot or leg ailments and both my working and private life activities are overwhelmingly spent walking. Work is walking 90% on concrete, steel or other similar surfaces.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.