X-Bolt or Model 70?

I believe your right. I do think accuracy depends on the shooter tho. The time and effort behind the scope and the reloading consistancy will produce better accuracy with any shooter/firearm. That is why I am recommending to this go to GO WITH WHAT FEELLS best, and not just a name. I also think he should go with the "features" he thinks are important. I love detach. mags, 2 position safeties, soft recoil pads, and composite stocks.. all which are better on the browning. The M.O.A trigger is good, but I dont know if I like it over the featherlite trigger on the browning.

I see it a lot differently.......................

My current long range deer/elk rifle is a 338-300 RUM built on an M-70 Classic action. It has a Benchmark HV contour barrel, a Wyatt's extended magazine box, a McMillan prone stock, and a Nightforce scope. I am still sorting this rifle out, but it is showing itself to be capable of gving my last 1K BR rifle (Stiller action, Benchmark barrel, Shehane stock) a run for it's money.

Nuff said. This kid is looking for a meat and potatoes hunting rifle. I dont think his standards are the on the same level as yours. I do agree with some of the stuff you said, but I think you guys are over analyzing this. He has his mind set on the X-bolt anyway. :D

Well I can only speak for the m70 & A bolt. I have a FN SC made m70 300wsm & only live 75mi from the plant & have a friend that works their. With factory loads I only got 1/2-3/4'' with my reloads I get 3/8'' easy. It is a wonderful deer gun & just solid no matter what I put it through it just keeps giving. I call it my service gun ( just one tough gun )

The BR A-Bolt Var.223 on the other hand is a great gun a little more refined & a super shooter. Very solid, no slop, smooth as silk as to what has been said before with a BR it's a gun you just shoot & leave it alone. You don't have many options but I don't have to worrie it shoots one hole all day.

If it's a money issue go with m70 it's a lot cheaper but, you have many after market options. The BR is a gun that you want to leave it alone after you get it set up becaused you just dumped 1k in it & still need glass:D

That excerpt was the least of what I posted. I was responding the mischaraterizations of the M-70. You can't get a more meat and potatoes hunting rifle than a CRF M-70 in 30-06, 300 WSM, or 300 Winny.

The Model 94 30-30 Winchester has taken more deer than all others combined.

So, either the X-Bolt or M70 will work for sure. He should go with whichever one suits him.

He can get a lifetime of hunting out of either of them.

I saw a T-shirt this weekend that sums it up nicely... "If you know how many guns you own, you don't have enough."

Here's a 3 shot group from load development of 200 grain Accubonds in my FN made M70 extreme weather 300 WSM. This is one of the tighter loads as I have worked several loads with different bullets in the consistent .30-.50 range. I rarely shoot 5 shot groups with my sporter weight hunting rifles, mostly to conserve components and barrel life, but I have used the same rifle to shoot a five shot group with 168 Etips that measures .66" that includes the cold bore fouling shot, so I know it's plenty capable and consistent.

200graingroup-1.jpg

Winchester just isnt the same. The quality has gone to the $hitter.. and so has their popularity. Back in the day it was a no brainer.. but the browning gets the nod in this situation.

Browning and Winchester are made under the same parent company. FN. The quality of the Winchesters made to day is way better than the quality of the pre'64 rifles, and I have a '53. My experience with the pre 64 rifles is that it is rare for one to shoot under an inch. The new ones I've seen almost routinely shoot under an inch.

I've handled, inspected, and shot both the Browning and the new Winchesters made by FN. I have two friends that have Brownings, my brother in law and I both have Winchesters from the 1950's. I've shot friends new M70's at the range.

FWIW: The bottom line is I'd be hard put to choose between them. That said: If I were going to buy a new rifle today, it would be a new wood stocked M70 Featherweight in .270Win. but that is just because I happen to like controlled round feed ever so slightly better than push feed, I like wooden stocks, and that rifle just plain feels "right" in my hands when I hold it, rack the bolt, and bring it up to my shoulder. I'd expect it to shoot nicely under an inch with reloads, which is all it has to do where I hunt.

Fitch

Here's a 3 shot group from load development of 200 grain Accubonds in my FN made M70 extreme weather 300 WSM. This is one of the tighter loads as I have worked several loads with different bullets in the consistent .30-.50 range. I rarely shoot 5 shot groups with my sporter weight hunting rifles, mostly to conserve components and barrel life, but I have used the same rifle to shoot a five shot group with 168 Etips that measures .66" that includes the cold bore fouling shot, so I know it's plenty capable and consistent.

200graingroup-1.jpg

Looks like you need to work on that vertical stringing problem :) :) :)

Thanks everyone! When i joined this forum, I had no idea that I would get this much replies! I think I will go into Cabelas one more time and spend more time analyzing the rifles and talking to the experts. I think that this is the best way.

Thanks,
Jett

Thanks everyone! When i joined this forum, I had no idea that I would get this much replies! I think I will go into Cabelas one more time and spend more time analyzing the rifles and talking to the experts. I think that this is the best way.

Thanks,
Jett

That's a great idea except that you won't find many experts at Cabelas.

They have a hard time figuring out what battery to stick in a range finder.

Nonetheless, it'll be well worth your while to handle a number of different rifles which is hard to do online.

Enjoy!!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.