Wyoming SF0094 opposed or for it?

Tikkamike

Just wondering what wyoming people thing about them wanting to put elk deer and antelope limited quota tags on a point system? I think its a good idea personally. I hate that I never draw I would like if I could know that eventually I would draw

Personally I think they can manage the draw odds better than a point system. If you look at Utah and Colorado, most of those residents have a minimum of a 10-15 year wait building points to draw a premium elk tag. I'd rather take my chances. But if wyo would eliminate the opportunity to hunt with a bow on a rifle tag and made people choose there weapon, the odds would increase a bit. Also if they made you choose 1 species for a limited quota tag that would help as well( meaning deer,elk) and if you draw a limited quota elk tag this year you can't apply for a limited quota elk next year. How many times have you heard of people drawing two good tags but only focusing on one and the other goes unhunted or not done justice. A one year wait to apply again would increase draw odds. That would help with the lucky sob's that draw limited quota every year!!! I would rather have a chance at a tag, even a small chance rather than knowing the tag was untouchable for the next 15 years. My .02 cents

Lottery is a poor substitute for management. I play the game in 4-5 states annually, and have for a couple of decades. Since points started in our favorite Wyoming antelope unit tag numbers continue to fall, odds get worse even with max points, the odds with max points are worse now with points (in some units) than they were pre- "bonus point"!

Coupled with converting from "game" departments to "wildlife" agencies it allows agencies to make their money from selling "chances" to draw, instead of opportunities to hunt.

An example from closer to home. With the stated goal of improving the elk hunting in SE Washington we have to draw a tag (branched antler), want to spring bear hunt that area draw a tag. Hmmm....the agencies own numbers have 50% of the calf elk being scooped up by the bears. A general spring bear season would definitely help the elk, but where is the money in that? The state instead chooses to leverage a few tags, by selling "chances" instead of tags. Our state lottery money was supposed to fix our school budgets, but schools are still begging, and passing levies. Where does the money go?

A game department recognizes predator control as an essential management tool. A wildlife agency is a circle of life money pit where coyotes are equal to antelope, and are entitled to their 80% of the fawns. Many elk units since the wolf intro, had numbers that should have caused their closure. If they had, maybe that kick in the guts would have woke a few people up. No elk? sell points instead.

I've said this before, but here it goes again. Guns and ammo are not even reaching the shelves demand is so high. Has been since Obama took office. A Pittman Robertson tax is levied on all of it. Where's the money? It's supposed to come to the states, but they're broke. Where is it going? One source says 60-70 million went to the wolves illegally. Any body live in a state asking where the money went? No because little fishes think kissing big fishes behinds is their ticket to the big pond.

When we stop playing carnival games, demand what's our's, and spend it to benefit ourselves it gets better not until. My tag money here, last winter got spent by the "wildlife" department to live stream video of hibernating bats 24-7 (true story). As long as people that have no money in the game get to dictate how it's spent, we are on the tail end of a tradition that's been timeless.

If Wyoming wants to make money, demand the money owed them by the Feds, and aerial gun for 5years, do a game count, and sell more tags. Old school will work.

I'm not picking on Wyoming, but in many ways the problems you're seeing there Mike, are because of demand from where this modern concept of management has failed repeatedly.

My view anyway.

I have little experience with the point system. Lot of people against it. I Dont want to wait 15 years for an elk but I have already waited 7 sense my last bull tag and it could easily be another 7..or more and the area I apply for is 40%! Bad luck! Guess we will see. I'll still have cow tags and bear hunting and other general tags so why not.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.