Wyoming Elk Info

BigGrizz, Have witnessed a warden on horseback, once. We often hunt on or near two-tracks and have seen wardens several times. We generally camp on BLM or NF near the roads, no recognized campgrounds, and have had the occasional visit! Have seen the warden glassing from several different high points in the area we generally hunt. Maybe the warden, where we hunt, is a bit more active than others. Heck of a nice guy, also! memtb

BigGrizz, Have witnessed a warden on horseback, once. We often hunt on or near two-tracks and have seen wardens several times. We generally camp on BLM or NF near the roads, no recognized campgrounds, and have had the occasional visit! Have seen the warden glassing from several different high points in the area we generally hunt. Maybe the warden, where we hunt, is a bit more active than others. Heck of a nice guy, also! memtb

I've heard there are quite a few that are nice and rather understanding- not just ticket dispensers. Haven't ran into one in years.

I seen one GW in Wyoming this past fall. I was driving down a gravel road and had a green pickup swerve over into my lane forcing me to slam on my brakes to avoid collision. I seen the small sticker on the door as he pulled up along side of me. He asked me if I was having any luck. I asked him with what? He said hunting. I told him No. He asked me where I was hunting and I told him. He said he knew the property. I asked him where would be a good place to look and he said everywhere. I drove off.

Sure it's a simple math problem. Figure out the cost of a guide vs the likely cost of being fined for not obeying a dumb law. You just don't like that I proposed such an approach.

It comes down to what costs you're willing to accept. Like you I would not want to give up hunting rights. That's why I said figure out what the max penalty is. If it's just a $200 fine then I'd bypass the guide.

And for those not in the know- WY G&F officials really are few and far between because they like to post up at check stations.

Most violators are caught by being turned in by other people. You do realize that they can potentially seize your vehicle, guns, equipment used in the commission of a violation, right? They also report your violations back to your home state as well.

Most violators are caught by being turned in by other people. You do realize that they can potentially seize your vehicle, guns, equipment used in the commission of a violation, right? They also report your violations back to your home state as well.

Seems to me it's a lesser misdemeanor- up to $1k fine -which carries the potential for a loss of hunting rights, yada yada, etc. I'll call my attorney on Monday and get a good clarification on it. Seems beatable for those that are creatively inclined.

Either way, for a nonresident to lose his/her hunting rights in their state of residency there would have to be reciprocity. Does WY have clear, consistent reciprocity with the other 49 states? I guess I'll ask that question too. Perhaps I'll be able to positively enlighten some poor NRs looking to enjoy the wilderness in my state they help pay for.

Seems to me it's a lesser misdemeanor- up to $1k fine -which carries the potential for a loss of hunting rights, yada yada, etc. I'll call my attorney on Monday and get a good clarification on it. Seems beatable for those that are creatively inclined.

Either way, for a nonresident to lose his/her hunting rights in their state of residency there would have to be reciprocity. Does WY have clear, consistent reciprocity with the other 49 states? I guess I'll ask that question too. Perhaps I'll be able to positively enlighten some poor NRs looking to enjoy the wilderness in my state they help pay for.

Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (IWVC)

Wyoming is a member state of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact, which is a reciprocal agreement between states to honor suspensions of hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for wildlife violators. Individuals who are suspended in one member state may have their privileges suspended in the other member states. The IWVC acts as an additional deterrent to violating wildlife laws and strengthens the consequences of illegal hunting, fishing or trapping activities.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Law-Enforcement/Violator-Compact

Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (IWVC)

Wyoming is a member state of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact, which is a reciprocal agreement between states to honor suspensions of hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for wildlife violators. Individuals who are suspended in one member state may have their privileges suspended in the other member states. The IWVC acts as an additional deterrent to violating wildlife laws and strengthens the consequences of illegal hunting, fishing or trapping activities.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Law-Enforcement/Violator-Compact

Had to denote the word of emphasis. You know, the one that conveys possibility and not obligation?

But it does look like folks in a few states are in the clear from losing their residential liberties for sure.

Maybe I'm just "lucky" but I have had my camp checked every time I hunted the Bighorns. They slipped into camp on foot (after riding in on horses).
If I remember right- some of them were biologists who were handed ticket books for the peak seasons. Much to the chagrin of the camp next to ours;^).
From conversations I got the feeling they didn't agree with the wilderness rule either. They were focused on the tagging and meat wasting issues as well as the condition of campsite. Although an angry guide with clout finger pointing you might make it difficult for him to give a warning vs ticket.

Hello. I'm new to WY elk hunting and have been applying for PP and have 4. I've been reading as much as I can to learn about elk areas and draw odds etc but frankly its pretty confusing. My buddy (who had lots of Wyoming experience) was leading this with me but passed away and so now I'm trying to figure out what, where and when to do with these points. I am a traditional bow hunter and want a DIY hunt on public land. Can anyone give me some insight or advice on areas/units and the number of points I'll need? Or is this still too vague to answer? JD

Assuming you are a non-resident, be aware that you can not DIY in a wilderness area. That will eliminate a fair number of areas particularly in the western part of the state.

Assuming you are a non-resident, be aware that you can not DIY in a wilderness area. That will eliminate a fair number of areas particularly in the western part of the state.

Yes...I should have mentioned I'm not a resident and I'm not new to elk hunting...Just WY elk hunting. And...I'm aware of the restrictions on wilderness areas (from this forum) thanks for the heads up...

So...How many PP do I need before I start trying to buy into the draw? Or can I jsut put in anytime and hope for the best?

So...How many PP do I need before I start trying to buy into the draw? Or can I jsut put in anytime and hope for the best?

Wyoming is kinda eff'd up when it comes to the draw. There are 2 draw pools. Special and regular. Only thing different between the two is the special tag costs more then the regular tag. Because of cost the special pool usually has better odds of drawing. Not always though. Within each pool 75% of the tags go to that applicant with the most points and the other 25% are drawn randomly.

Some units will have zero tags available by the time they divide up the tags between the regular and special pools and give 75% of tags to the top point holders.

With 4 points you have enough to draw a general tag. (a general tag is the same tag a resident can buy otc every year) Or there might be a unit or two you can draw with 4 points. I haven't looked. The other thing is you can apply for a hailmary and try to draw one of the random tags in a specific unit.

Dirtytough
Now we're getting somewhere. That's the most info I've gotten anywhere... thanks.
More questions...
if you were in my shoes... I've hunted other states and have connected on my own on bulls with my compound. I would like to try with my recurve so I'm more interested in quantity. I don't need to see trophy bulls in every valley. And I'm a dIY hunter. Can anyone give me a general area of the state to start looking/applying? it's kinda overwhelming.
I appreciate your knowledge. Thanks. J

Are you only interested in archery hunting? As in if you aren't successful with your bow would you want to come back with a rifle?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.