More Wyoming Elk Info

jheilman

Thanks to all that responded to my first request for Wyo elk info. Now for my second, we have a total of 10 points (I thought it was only 9 but checked WGFD website) That's 10 years & 500 bucks so don't want to waste them. I have no connections in Wyoming and trying to do some research myself as to where these points would be used most wisely. Been looking at area 51 type 2 tag, and also area 38 type 1 which is a little tougher to draw but looks like we would be able to. Area 38 opens 2 weeks later on Oct.15. Not sure if that's a big deal or not.
We have done quite a bit of DIY horse back hunts in the mountains, always as the hunters and never the hunted. The bigger bears would be new to us but all precautions would be taken. My main concern is riding and packing meat after dark, ever any issues there?
Thanks again and please correct and information that I have incorrect.

2 thoughts-- If you draw the area 38 type 1 tag that opens Oct. 15,keep a very close eye on the weather. There have been years a big snow hit and folks had to either abandon their rigs or pay dearly to get out. As far as hunting where the griz live--I would not consider riding and packing out meat in the dark. My rule is we don't shoot an elk unless you can get it quartered and packed out the same day before dark. A couple guides up the Southfork had to shoot a griz in daylight this past season because it was coming to get the meat on their pack horses.

2 thoughts-- If you draw the area 38 type 1 tag that opens Oct. 15,keep a very close eye on the weather. There have been years a big snow hit and folks had to either abandon their rigs or pay dearly to get out. As far as hunting where the griz live--I would not consider riding and packing out meat in the dark. My rule is we don't shoot an elk unless you can get it quartered and packed out the same day before dark. A couple guides up the Southfork had to shoot a griz in daylight this past season because it was coming to get the meat on their pack horses.

I passed on my "only" shot at a bull this year, because.....high grizzly population, late evening and a longish (560 yards) shot. Didn't want to "muff" the shot, and be tracking a wounded elk, after dark, in grizzly country! Had it been 10:00 in the morning.....a different decision would have been made! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.