Wyoming Elk Info

jheilman

Happy new year to all. Would like to get some information and good feedback on the Wyoming Law that prevents none residents from entering the wilderness areas without a guide. Correct me if I am wrong but we are able to ride (horseback), and hike these areas all year long but as soon as we stuff a rifle is the scabbard and a hunting license in our pocket we cannot enter these areas. Who enforces this? Forest service? Game wardens? The guides?
If its for our safety because of the rough country or the bears then how are we able to enter these areas for anything else besides hunting?

We have collected 9 pts. and we are considering area 51 type 2 tag, I really thought with 9 pts we would have more options but that's not the case.

Just looking for more knowledge on this topic, thanks to all that reply.

Typically it's the game wardens who enforce it. The issue was taken to the Wyo. Supreme Ct. around 20 yrs. ago. Do a search on their website and read the opinion as to the rationale.

Its not for safety. Its for outfitter welfare. The reason it is legal is because they aren't saying its illegal to access it. They are saying its illegal to hunt wildlife owned by the residents of the state of Wyoming there.

Here is my problem with it. The animals are owned by the residents of the state. Wilderness is owned by all US residents along with most of the other land the animals reside on. So why does Wyoming think its fine to graze their animals for free on our land? Since they are making the distinction?

Last edited:
Its not for safety. Its for outfitter welfare. The reason it is legal is because they aren't saying its illegal to access it. They are saying its illegal to hunt wildlife owned by the residents of the state of Wyoming there.

Here is my problem with it. The animals are owned by the residence of the state. Wilderness is owned by all US residence along with most of the other land the animals reside on. So why does Wyoming think its fine to graze their animals for free on our land? Since they are making the distinction?
They don't get to graze for free, they pay for grazing permits. I believe you can hunt those areas with a Wyoming resident too.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/FAQ/General-Hunting-and-Trapping-FAQ
It's the eighth question if I counted right.

Just a heads up .I hunted second season elk in 2018 it too 11 points to draw Unit 51.No elk ,no deer But LOTS OF BEARS .I am glad I was with an Outfitter

They don't get to graze for free, they pay for grazing permits. I believe you can hunt those areas with a Wyoming resident too.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/FAQ/General-Hunting-and-Trapping-FAQ
It's the eighth question if I counted right.

Please point out where the residents of the state of Wyoming pay to graze elk, deer, sheep, goats, bears, etc on any federal land. As far as I know not one state pays to run their state owned animals on federal land. But the states do pay private landowners in the form of vouchers to allow elk, deer, and sheep to graze on their land which get sold for big money.

Please point out where the residents of the state of Wyoming pay to graze elk, deer, sheep, goats, bears, etc on any federal land. As far as I know not one state pays to run their state owned animals on federal land. But the states do pay private landowners in the form of vouchers to allow elk, deer, and sheep to graze on their land which get sold for big money.
Easy now:cool: I misunderstood the whole thing. My bad. I immediately thought of ranchers with cattle and range maggots(sheep). Wyoming only gets to own and manage the wildlife till the feds want it their way or we would have a Grizzly season, and our tags are going up this year for nonresidents:D

Maybe we just need to keep track of pilgrims. Not all the out of state'ers are, mind you.
But looking for lost pilgrams take time out of my hunting season. Costs money, ruins other area's.....
Hire an outfitter and quit whining.

The 51-2 tag he's thinking about applying for is for just part of the unit and last year there were only two tags in the Regular Draw that went for 5PPs. If the OP wants to definitely hunt in 2019 I would suggest that he go for a unit that offers more than just that small number of tags.

As far as the wilderness restriction for NRs, it is strictly an outfitter subsidy and will never change because NRs can't vote. After saying that, please realize that a state doesn't even have to offer any tags to NRs, so be happy with what is available in Wyoming since the wilderness areas are a small fraction of the public land out there.

Last edited:
From my understanding there are a whole bunch of elk that now reside in southwest Wyoming......dont know that there are restrictions there...check with the local fish and game for southwest.....

Unless I am wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time.....you only need someone with a guides license. No need to hire an outfitter! If you have or can make a friend, that is a Wyoming resident....said resident can get a guides license. I don't think that it terribly difficult or expensive to acquire a license! Hunt with that person (licensed guide).....problem solved! Though as mentioned in an earlier answer.....there is a huge amount of government ( state, BLM, NF) land available to hunt, while little (by comparison) Wilderness Area! memtb

Guide licenses are sometimes based on previous years guiding income and/or expected income and/or a state registration fee plus extra fees associated to regional usage....as in Oregon laws a guide CANNOT camp on federal lands and provide business from such....also guides have to provide insurances and bonds..extra insurances if horses are used in business....
There's a lot of crap goes into getting a guides license.....first aid and for certification...private vehicles used in business....washing said used vehicles of debris before entering and leaving certain lands......
Good luck...............20 years was quite enough.....oh did i mentions other guides slashing tires fo protect THEIR AREAS.........ridiculous.....

Guide licenses are sometimes based on previous years guiding income and/or expected income and/or a state registration fee plus extra fees associated to regional usage....as in Oregon laws a guide CANNOT camp on federal lands and provide business from such....also guides have to provide insurances and bonds..extra insurances if horses are used in business....
There's a lot of crap goes into getting a guides license.....first aid and for certification...private vehicles used in business....washing said used vehicles of debris before entering and leaving certain lands......
Good luck...............20 years was quite enough.....oh did i mentions other guides slashing tires fo protect THEIR AREAS.........ridiculous.....

I don't think that it is quite like that here....I have a friend that is a guide, if I have an opportunity, I'll ask him! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.