Wyoming’s Big Horn Mountains – The Outdoorsman’s Family Resort

You're absolutely right about the moose. A friend of a friend of mine out in Sheridan was through there weekend before last and saw 28 moose along 14a alone.

I have been hunting in the BigHorns since around 1992 out of Dayton. Archery deer elk and rifle deer elk both conventional and long range . I have had some success but most of all the experiences have been priceless. The animals, the mountains, the streams and the friends I have made have spoiled me forever. Hunting back here in PA has never been the same!! If I were 25 again I would move out there and not return!! Although my goal now is to go out for a month at a time if I could swing it!!

If I was single I would move out there in a heart beat. I'll be out there for about 6 or 7 weeks again between Labor Day weekend and the first part of November with hunts in AZ and NM also squeezed in within that time frame before a week of bird hunting in ND and then home for the last half of our whitetail season.

I was very lucky to be able to retire just before I was 55 in 2002 and God has blessed me with good health and enough $ to be able to be in the outdorrs like that the last few years and I'm not letting Him down. I would love to live in either Buffalo or Sheridan at the base of the mountains. I was talking to my buddy, who has a beautiful place on some acerage just north of Sheridan, and one window he was looking out had deer and antelope in the pasture. Then he looked out another window and could still see snow up high in the mountains. I think I would let him adopt me, LOL!!!

If I was single I would move out there in a heart beat. I'll be out there for about 6 or 7 weeks again between Labor Day weekend and the first part of November with hunts in AZ and NM also squeezed in within that time frame before a week of bird hunting in ND and then home for the last half of our whitetail season.

If you like shooting coyotes this is the place to live!

That's true. One of the last times I drove over the 'Horns I seen a fox right off the highway. He was lucky I forgot my 223.

Yea, but I won't be shooting those yotes out the truck window, LOL! Seriously though, the first week of October I do plan on shooting a few with my 25-06 in unit 164 on the east side of Worland while I do a little deer hunting in that early season. The last time I was over there several years ago we saw like 13 yotes in 8 days of deer hunting and we weren't even calling them, so I hope they are still there to have a little fun.

Glad you guys enjoy the horns. Even gladder I enjoy them everyday. The bighorns truely are a blessing. There the main reason I moved back to Sheridan.

Do you guys ride up through Story, Wy & through Penrose Park? I ridden that trail many, many times, Cloud Peak Reservoir is a very beautiful place, great fishin too! We usually camp somewhere in between.... been up there from the Red Grade side as well...

Outlaw,

What is the trail like from the red grade side? The gang is heading up next weekend and is thinking about going up the trail from red grade hoping it is a little shorter and maybe not as rough.

Did you read about the young fellow that went up above Sheridan on his quad a couple weeks ago and tried to ford a stream that he had no business trying to cross? It swept him and the quad into a bunch of downfalls and he got entangled and drowned, leaving a wife and kid less than a year old behind. He worked out of the Marathon Oil Company Office in Sheridan where my buddy is an engineering manager for the company. It was very sad and an unnecessary occurrence.

Ahhhh... back from 8 days on the Big Horns, stayed in the Dry Fork/Freeze Out area, **** is it beautiful up there this time of year, got to put another ~120miles on the old 4-wheeler, seen a TON of great scenery (will post a couple pics later)..... & believe this, we actually ran into 8 moose in one herd! crazy, i've never seen that many together (& wouldn't you know it I wasn't carrying my camera at that time).

Outlaw,

What is the trail like from the red grade side? The gang is heading up next weekend and is thinking about going up the trail from red grade hoping it is a little shorter and maybe not as rough.

You will be dropping in from Little Goose IIRC, it is a "little" better than the Story side, you will have to get a map from there as I don't recall what the trail number is (STAY AWAY FROM TRAIL #628) we went up that 2-3 yrs ago, 3 rollovers, 2 flat tires & 3 machines on reserve later, we finally made it out of there. It's always a blast, have fun & let us know how it went.

Ahhhh... back from 8 days on the Big Horns, stayed in the Dry Fork/Freeze Out area, **** is it beautiful up there this time of year, got to put another ~120miles on the old 4-wheeler, seen a TON of great scenery (will post a couple pics later)..... & believe this, we actually ran into 8 moose in one herd! crazy, i've never seen that many together (& wouldn't you know it I wasn't carrying my camera at that time).

You will be dropping in from Little Goose IIRC, it is a "little" better than the Story side, you will have to get a map from there as I don't recall what the trail number is (STAY AWAY FROM TRAIL #628) we went up that 2-3 yrs ago, 3 rollovers, 2 flat tires & 3 machines on reserve later, we finally made it out of there. It's always a blast, have fun & let us know how it went.

Glad you had a good time. Wifes surgery got canceled today and I was hoping to get to go to Cloud and get out of the heat, but she is being clingy, so I guess I will pass on this weekend. We are heading to SK, Canada in a couple of weeks to fish at Wollaston Lake, so I better keep my sweety happy. After all hunting season for me starts on Sept. 15 for my annual mule deer hunting trip in Bonduraunt.

Did you see any big bulls in the pile of moose you saw? I saw several monster bulls up in that area about 5 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.