Wyoming’s Big Horn Mountains – The Outdoorsman’s Family Resort

I wish I had seen some big fellers, just juveniles.... all of them in fact. Although we did see two bears...
Give your wife our best!

Here's a pic to help ya out....

Scenery3.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, but I won't be shooting those yotes out the truck window, LOL! Seriously though, the first week of October I do plan on shooting a few with my 25-06 in unit 164 on the east side of Worland while I do a little deer hunting in that early season. The last time I was over there several years ago we saw like 13 yotes in 8 days of deer hunting and we weren't even calling them, so I hope they are still there to have a little fun.

I hate to cast a cloud on your fun, but I have a friend who spends his time getting paid as a government trapper and he blasts the crap out of the yotes around Worland. When the snow flies, he has his trusty Bennelli and lots of ammo as they fly over and shoot them from the air. Hopefully you can still find a few left overs and wack em when you are out here.

I wonder if he's the same fellow who shot several wolves over in the mountains a couple years ago that had come down out of Montana all the way over around TenSleep. I have that friend in Worland that I mentioned to you before and I met one of his friends that has a son doing that work. I'll bet maybe it's the same guy because I don't think there are that many of them. All I know is that the area we were in way over at the east end of Devils Slide near the Bluebank Road was loaded with yotes 3 years ago when we hunted that unit.

Last edited:
I wonder if he's the same fellow who shot several wolves over in the mountains a couple years ago that had come down out of Montana all the way over around TenSleep. I have that friend in Worland that I mentioned to you before and I met one of his friends that has a son doing that work. I'll bet maybe it's the same guy because I don't think there are that many of them. All I know is that the area we were in way over at the east end of Devils Slide near the Bluebank Road was loaded with yotes 3 years ago when we hunted that unit.

Could be the same person, I know my friend spend quite a bit of time on the south end of the Big horns trying to get a couple of problem wolves. They were killing sheep and then would head out at a full trot and a couple hours later they would be 40 miles away. Sometimes there are lots of yotes out on the Bluebank road, there just aren't as many after the airplane flyover and benelli lead poisoning.

Yep, that has to be the same guy we're talking about. He got 2 out of what they thought was a pack of about 8 and they think one was the alpha male. He had a collar on that was put on him up in Montana north of Yellowstone Park, so tjhat shows how far they will move to establish new territory. They killed a bunch of sheep on the ranch next to where I hunt and a bunch of calves south of there about 20 miles or so. There is still at least one in the area because we found a big track in the mud along a fence we were working on last September that is not to far from where the sheep were killed. They have really kept it out of the news for obvious purposes.

There are a lot more wolves in the Big Horns than anyone is talking about. They don't get any attention until they start killing livestalk. One of the trappers best friends owns a whole bunch of sheep that got killed. Over 100 at last count. Wolves are hard to catch, that is why they were poisoned out years ago. Hopefully by the end of the year, Wyoming will have an agreement with the fish and wildlife service and we will be able to start killing them.

I agree with Camilleri, I'm sure there are way more wolves up there than we know of, heck we have proof of a pair here in Gillette over 70 miles from the mountains!

Woo-Hoo, I get to go play in the Bighorns! Leaving in a few minutes and heading to Cloud Peak Resevoir via 4 wheelers with trailers in tow for a couple of relaxing days of fishing. My wife passed her stress test yesterday so her heart is ok and even better really because she is letting me go. (much better than just going anyway) Hopefully some good pictures to come.

That's great news about the wife and I sure wish I was with you up in the mountains on that trip. Hope you catch some good ones and looking forward to some good photos of that awesome country.

Just got back from three days in the Big Horns, we went into Penrose park from a different way via Big Goose. Took Rd 309 to Trail 028 to 521 to 101 to 038 or something like that. Some cool new country, a bit longer of a ride than going in from Story. We camped about two miles above Penrose park across the bridge next to the creek. Day 2 we rode into Cloud Peak Resevoir, caught some brook trout. Day 3 I rode out by myself as the rest of the group are staying until Tues. Only mistake on this trip was I didn't bring enough gas and had to borrow some to get back out. I was towing a little trailer behind my atv and it was heavy enough to make me use a bit more gas. Overall very relaxing trip, but a little on the warm side. Give me some tips and I will post some pictures. I didn't take a lot, but I took a few very scenic ones below Cloud Peak.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.