The Family Package

ADMIN

Administrator
"I wonder what that is," I thought to myself as I raised my Leupold Wind River 10X42 binoculars to my eyes. I only had a few hours to hunt and I was looking for a decent buck, or a doe if that was all I could find. I was fortunate enough to be home with my wife's family and only had a few hours before returning to Bozeman, MT for the remainder of the college semester. My wife and her family were rounding up cattle for branding that morning and I was turned loose on their property for a few hours before the long drive back. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The Family Package, By Nicholas Gebhardt. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The Family Package, By Nicholas Gebhardt. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Not taking anything away from the author as it appears he is an experienced shooter/hunter but the fact that both deer traveled 10+yards after being hit in the vitals with 190 gr bullets only proves that you probably shouldn't use Matchkings on game.

I've yet to lose an animal, been using SMK's since 2004 for match competition and hunting and I use the same rifle for hunting that I use year round for competitions. I don't want this to turn into an ethics debate though. Each hunter has their own opinions and rightly so. Thanks for the comments and good luck this year.

Geb

Not taking anything away from the author as it appears he is an experienced shooter/hunter but the fact that both deer traveled 10+yards after being hit in the vitals with 190 gr bullets only proves that you probably shouldn't use Matchkings on game.

I don't know... I've seen small game shot in the head point blank and lurch nearly 10 yards.

I've yet to lose an animal, been using SMK's since 2004 for match competition and hunting and I use the same rifle for hunting that I use year round for competitions. I don't want this to turn into an ethics debate though. Each hunter has their own opinions and rightly so. Thanks for the comments and good luck this year.

Geb

Geb: You made two good shots on distant game; congrats and it was an article I enjoyed reading. I just wonder if it would have gone the same way for someone with less skill/experience than you shooting the same bullet...

I see the value of hunting with the same bullet you practice/compete with but with the quality of today's bonded core game bullets, I don't see the need to use Matchkings, or any other match bullets for hunting; especially if the hunter intends to try ELR on a regular basis.

I hope you write more; I'll be looking forward to it.

Joe

Joe,

You have some very valid points concerning the use of match bullets for hunting and I'll agree that their use is not for everyone. For ELR hunting, I would urge people to use a high quality bullet designed for hunting purposes and would also urge them to practice A LOT with that load.

But here is another point of view: if the shooter is a novice or not well practiced, should they be taking shots at game at extended distance? However, if the hunter is well practiced, and can predictably place a bullet exactly where they intend, then the hunter should evaluate the distance and terminal performance of the type bullet they are using and make a wise decision. For my purposes, I rarely take shots at 500 yds or beyond, but generally elect to get closer if possible. Were I to intend to shoot at a distance further than that, I would most likely look into a different type bullet designed for "hunting" and would be comfortable with it before going after game.

Again, you have great and valid points that each individual hunter should take into consideration for their hunting style and shooting ability. Thank you.

Geb

Late reading this thread but having the deer run 10+ yards seems like a small thing to worry about. I shot a nice mule deer buck from 100 yards with 175 g Part. from my 7mm mag and ribs were blown out the offside and it ran over 100 yards. When I opened him up there was nothing left in the chest cavity. Seems to me you had a great hunt and did thing right.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.