Wv early season

wv270wsm

Season opened Saturday for much of West Virginia. The group we hunt with has treed a total of 10 so far . With 4 killed . 3 youngsters have got to kill their first bears. You couldn't have beat the smiles off them with a switch I don't believe.
The biggest we've killed so far was 245 live weight and so far 3 out of 4 have been males. Which is what we're trying to accomplish. Although the state biologists wants us to try and harvest legal females ( ones without cubs tagging along) .
So far we've only had 2 dogs that have got bitten . It's been kinda cool in the mornings on the mountain. The oak is very spotty same as the hickory and beech nut. And we've had better luck around mid morning . So far.
2 more days of hunting till December hopefully we can get the hounds another one or two to chew on and another youngster can get a huge smile .

4281BD68-D75A-427B-92DB-24A54319DFEC.jpeg
My youngest son got this ol boy today with just the 2 dogs pictured. Ran it probably 1 mile by themselves and treed . Dressed weight 195 actual. Estimated live weight 240. The old 35 Remington done a number on him one and done

Last edited:
Well ended the season this evening at sun down. All said and done amongst 12 truckloads of hounds we treed 19 bears with 9 killed. My buddies son killed a 150 pounder today . Ended up with 7 dogs tore up and one got killed doing what these hounds absolutely love to do. It was a sad end to a young hounds life. Especially with how well he was doing at starting tracks and running. Some people don't understand the devotion that it takes and the love for these animals we have. I'm a grown man and when we found jack dead today several of us pretty well lost it. And he wasn't mine or my sons dog but still the emotions ran high.
Next Saturday season opens back up in a few other counties. Hopefully we can get the hounds on a few more
3DF6B76A-7013-49AC-9386-1BEC3D6EE91C.jpeg

Growing up in the hills, I sure miss them terribly. I have been stuck down here in NC for the past 35 years, but will get home someday. Congrats on the bears. I wish I had a place down here for you boys to bring your dogs to. Eastern NC has some of the largest black bears in the country. I was lucky enough to take one in 2000 still hunting that weighed a even 500 lbs , weighed by the local bear biologist. Someday, I will get back. I told my wife that when my day comes, that I want to buried in them hills for sure. God Bless West Virginia.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.