WV Bear Season, Opens September 18

vintec

In a few days bear season opens here in WV, I am very happy that the DNR decided to open the season early. In past years the season would be in the frist part of November. Just in time for te rut.

Nothing sucks worse than have people driving around with dogs in thier trucks, spreading the scent of hounds, except a pack of dogs running bye you in your tree stand. Let me say I have no problem with people hunting bear with dogs. I wish they would do better taking the bear population down. I do have a problem with the people who set the rules.

In WV it is LEGAL to run bear with dogs, but is it not legal to bait them in. I have lost more than one feeder to these animals and one camera. I am not sure where it could be more ethical to chase, tree and kill a bear using dogs, than to bait it in. It is legal to bait deer. But one kernal of corn seams to bring every bear for miles to your feeder. Then the bear will stay there. And the deer will not.

Just venting. I have a new toy coming from Kirby soon. I think I will vent on a few Black Bears

Vince

Baiting bears would offer the oppurtunity for a better shot choice, but as you know many of the game laws here in WV are based on old concepts. At least that opened the dog training season to year around and all counties. Sure reduced the nusiance bear in my area.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.