WTH is with these scope prices??

There are plenty of people out there that can afford high prices for Scopes , Rifles , Gasoline , and just look at food where less weight in a smaller container ( at higher prices ) are rampant . It's a matter of Price X Number of Buyers PN = X . Sellers want maximum X ! You raise the Price until X starts to Drop and that is the inflection point . You then drop the Price a tad and stay there for a while until Economic Indicators let you up the Price again . There are some exceptions like if you want serious Medical Care , you will pay serious Bucks . There are some great bargains in used hunting equipment especially Scopes if you spend the time and search for them .

The price of keeping up with Jones is very high. Look back at all of the must have scopes of the past, they were either a good scope and still are or they never were a good scope. Wait 2 years and pick up a good used one for 20 cents on the dollar, a Pawn shop probably will not give that much for one! Right now someone has your 3,000 dollar scope and doesn't know that it is actually your 600 dollar scope!

It has everything to do inflation and devalued currency. Do you get more for more? No.

Good example is auromobiles. Today, the avreage car is 25 grand. When I was a kid, 25 grand bought a home.

Any hard good, guns and scopes included are hard goods.

Lets face it, scopes are a luxury item, everything concerning this sport is a luxury item. All manufacturers set the pricing accordingly.

To coin a Regan phrase...'Trickle down effect'.

In my view, the only firearm manufacturer today that gives good value for money received is Savage.

But then, when you compare today's scope (or firearm) prices with 25 or 30 years ago, the pricing (compared to the devalued dollar) really haven't risen at all. You pay more because what you pay with, is worth less (or is worthless) depending on how you want to word it........:)

Taking the long view, so long as the world, in general keeps sliding in the abyss of less for more, optics prices today will seem cheap compared to what they will be 10 years from now....

At some point, your money will come on a roll, like toilet paper.......

Good point but most only require an email sent from AKO or similar website for mil purposes.

From the U.S. Army Provost Marshall:

Recent incidents have been reported regarding the photocopying of military identification cards and common access cards by commercial establishments to verify military affiliation to provide government rates for services. The photocopying of U.S. Government identification cards is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and punishable by fine and imprisonment.

"This prohibition, however, does not apply to government agencies," said Robert Krauer, director of Aberdeen Proving Ground Emergency Services. "Police can make copies for official purposes."

Although asking for military/government identification is totally permissible by commercial establishments, many government personnel are unaware of the prohibition on duplication of government identification.

There are no safeguards in place to insure a government identification card won't be counterfeited or "cloned" based on a photocopy by a commercial establishment. Criminal elements and terrorist organizations place U.S. Government identification as a high value logistical element when planning acts against the U.S. military.

It's recommended that military and Department of Defense travelers provide a state drivers license or other form of photo identification to be photocopied if an establishment insists on a photocopy of the traveler's identification.

Sidecar , I think car prices scaled to Salaries are roughly the same . When I was a kid the average regular workers yearly pay was about $4500 or so . My father bought a new Olds 88 ( a fairly high priced car in those days ) for close to that yearly Salary . I think todays average wage is somewhere around $40K . You can buy a pretty nice car for that . Trucks may be a different story . Fishing Reels & Rods , TVs , Computers , and Appliances are real bargains today . My relatives bought the first TV on the street in the late 40s ( I think ) for somewhere around $700 or $800 . It was in a fully enclosed cabinet with wood you would cry for . Yes they bought the best RCA they could find , and every Sat. night , the whole neighborhood came over to watch Wrestling ! Just imagine what that TV would cost in todays Dollars .

The prices are so high it is turning me towards the used market
I'm with you on this 100% if I cant get a deal on it new, I have to excercise self control and wait for a used one. But that said I think its a smarter buy. Lots of guys out there got more money than they know what to do with and there loss is my gain. I have gotten alot of great deals here and on other fourms in the past.

Sidecar , I think car prices scaled to Salaries are roughly the same . When I was a kid the average regular workers yearly pay was about $4500 or so . My father bought a new Olds 88 ( a fairly high priced car in those days ) for close to that yearly Salary . I think todays average wage is somewhere around $40K . You can buy a pretty nice car for that . Trucks may be a different story . Fishing Reels & Rods , TVs , Computers , and Appliances are real bargains today . My relatives bought the first TV on the street in the late 40s ( I think ) for somewhere around $700 or $800 . It was in a fully enclosed cabinet with wood you would cry for . Yes they bought the best RCA they could find , and every Sat. night , the whole neighborhood came over to watch Wrestling ! Just imagine what that TV would cost in todays Dollars .

Absolutely. Therein lies the crux of the matter concerning all hard goods, scopes included. It's simply economy of scale

No car or anything else is worth that much money (a years salary), never was and isn't now. however because we are in a long period of inflation, everything costs more and in reality you ger less...for more.....

Don't make much sense does it???

I'm with you on this 100% if I cant get a deal on it new, I have to excercise self control and wait for a used one. But that said I think its a smarter buy. Lots of guys out there got more money than they know what to do with and there loss is my gain. I have gotten alot of great deals here and on other fourms in the past.

Problem with your logic is, unless it's a sale of desperation, a good scope stays in the family, going from firearm to firearm....

I don't believe I've ever offered any of my good optics for sale. Less than quality ones I have but not the good ones. All keepers.

LMAO...I have an old Bausch & Lomb BALVAR 6-24X40 that will shoot with any of them.
Like anything else today..."LOOK AT ME...SEE WHAT I HAVE." I can't hit crap but I have $5000 in scope and rifle

Like my cousin who has Never owned a scope of any kind and hunts medium range deer every year with a Peep Sight.

And does very well I might add.......:)

The price of keeping up with Jones is very high. Look back at all of the must have scopes of the past, they were either a good scope and still are or they never were a good scope. Wait 2 years and pick up a good used one for 20 cents on the dollar, a Pawn shop probably will not give that much for one! Right now someone has your 3,000 dollar scope and doesn't know that it is actually your 600 dollar scope!

Ken...

I frequent pawn shops a bit and I've never seen a high end scope in a pawn shop and the guns..... well they leave a bit to be desired too.

The guy I work for collects old pop machines and he buys them from pawn shops so I pick them up for him. I guess restored pop machines bring a fantastic buck....

Been to some seedy ones.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.