WTH is with these scope prices??

I used to be a pawn shop addict it can be worse than a garage sale addiction. Every Saturday me and at least one other friend would make the circuit and so much so that some of the shops would call me would call me when they had something I would be interested in. Buying and trading is a fun interest. Ears open and willing to trade will pretty much get a guy what he wants in good condition for 20 cents on the dollar. Good popular scopes have about a 2 year pipeline before they start showing up.

Now that I saved people a small fortune I am going to ask that everyone of you join a disabled sportsman website and see what you can do to have the time of your life!

Ken

The wife regularly watches 'Storage Wars' on the boob tube' on what's labeled as 'relaity TV'.

In my experience with pawn and resale shops, the Storage Wars crowd is pure fantasy...

Probably the best source of 'value' priced optics and firearms is an estate sale where the liquidators could care less about the sale price....just get rid of it.......

20 cents on the dollar is high end. More like a nickle on the dollar....

Went to one and came away with literally a truckload of machine tooling and a large compressor in new condition for 300 bucks. The compressor (which is now in the shop) was worth at least a grand. It's a pressure lubed Quincy on a 150 gallon receiver. The head alone retails everyday for 1300 bucks....

I'm all about used ant not abused but a buyer has to be cognizant of how and why...

I have been stating the exact same thing as you that all these scopes like NF S&B USO etc etc are so overpriced its ridiculous and I say the only reason they are priced so high is they know that people will pay it. Every one tries to say that they are worth every penny..this is BS! For some reason people think they have to spend thousands of dollars for a scope so they can be in some cool elite class of rifleman or something.
These scopes are NOT worth "every penny", they are screwing us on prices and they are doing this because for some reason tons of either very rich or very stupid people keep paying for them.
Im sorry but just because a scope has turrets that you can hear the clicks and can hold a zero, DOES NOT mean its worth $1000-$4000.
Im in the market for a scope now and Im so frustrated at prices and the BS line that everyone puts out of "well you should spend most of your money on the scope"
I totally feel now that these guys that have these crazy expensive scopes most all only have them for the "hey look at me" factor

..Well, that applies (sadly) to just about everything today, but like I said previously, a dollar 20 years ago was actually worth something. Today it's not.

You don't really buy a 2000 buck scope. You buy a 200 dollar scope in today's worthless currency market.

If the world's monetary values ever go the other way (doubtful), that 2000 dollar scope won't be worth squat.... But then wages will go down as well so 200 bucks will still seem like 2000.

The exception is electronics. I waited out the pricey flat screen TV's. Finally bought one for a reasonable price.....:)

the simple belief that if you spend a ton of money on a scope you have bought quality drives the cost up. if people will pay 1500 the company raises the price to 2000 to see if the fish will bite

+1 ^^
It is called "Capitalism" It what ever the market will bear!

+1 ^^
It is called "Capitalism" It what ever the market will bear!
un fortunately this economy will not support 4000 dollar scope prices. Thats why you see more and more people buying millett and and other 250 to 500 scopes. there is no reason a scope should cost the half as much as a car. the materials and time spend making them do not warrent these prices. in a time of recession the prices should be going down not upgun)

un fortunately this economy will not support 4000 dollar scope prices. Thats why you see more and more people buying millett and and other 250 to 500 scopes. there is no reason a scope should cost the half as much as a car. the materials and time spend making them do not warrent these prices. in a time of recession the prices should be going down not upgun)

No, in recessionary times, prices of hard goods goes up, not down. Bottom line is all this stuff from rifles to scopes to range finders are all luxury hard goods. None of it is necessity and it's all discretionary purchases. Consequently, prices will continue to rise on quality goods. My take is buy it soon because it will assuredly go up in price....

Additionally, if you can buy a new car for 8 grand let me know where it is and I'll buy one too.

Even an econobox Ford Focus is 15 grand.

The economy will support 4 grand and more scopes. 20 years from now, barring total economic collapse, that 4 grand scope will be an el-cheapo.

Back when I was a kid, my dad was an analytical chemist, considered a very skilled job with college prerequisutes. He grossed around 40 grand a year and brought home about 30. He was considered ahighly paid professional. Today, an unskilled factory rat makes 40 grand.

Of course back then cars were 3 grand and a nice home was 20-30 grand. Gas was 20 cents a gallon for premium and you could do a weeks worth of groceries for a hundred bucks and eat steak every night....we did.

It's all about economy of scale.

Go buy one 'cause they ain't coming down in price....

these companies have enjoyed a war time boost/bubble were the government and security companies have been buying high end scopes. with one war over and another winding down we will see prices fall. the average person can not afford these prices and the market of a very few professional long range shooters can not support it on their own. not only that but as the wars conclude there will be a butt load of used scopes that will enter the market.
the price of a high end scope has doubled in 3 years there were hardly any 4000 dollar scopes 3 years ago, 12 to 17 hundred would buy you a top end night force, now they are every while were most people wages have decreased. in a time when people cant even afford house payments scopes at 4000 a pop will not fly off the shelf. scopes like houses are in a bubble the prices will come down or companies will go broke unless there is another war to artificially inflate the prices furthergun)

Rest assured, there will be another war, conflict or uprising that we will get involved is (Israel comes to mind right off).....

It's a history proven fact that our economy can't survive without some type of military intervention, somewhere.

The United States plays 'big brother' to the world, even if most countries don't like us.

Again, all this stuff is discretionary purchases that fall into the luxury category, not necessity. Consequently, prices will keep going up despite your wishes that they recede,

It won't happen because the increase in pricing is a direct result of world economy, not just here in the US.

Rest assured, there will be another war, conflict or uprising that we will get involved is (Israel comes to mind right off).....

It's a history proven fact that our economy can't survive without some type of military intervention, somewhere.

The United States plays 'big brother' to the world, even if most countries don't like us.

Again, all this stuff is discretionary purchases that fall into the luxury category, not necessity. Consequently, prices will keep going up despite your wishes that they recede,

It won't happen because the increase in pricing is a direct result of world economy, not just here in the US.
so as by that logic property value only went up in the recent past. bottom line at 4000 a scope they will go bankrupt

Comparing property values and luxury hard goods prices in direct relationship isn't a valid comparison simply because....

Housing prices and their decline was perpetuated by the government, more specifically the Fed and their meddling with the market, interest rates and the eventual insolvency of Freddie Mac and Fanny Mae and then the bailout's financed by your money, without your consent. It also had to do with over supply and lessened demand. None of that applies to high end optics or luxury hard goods....

Government intervention played the starring role. Hard goods prices are directly based on inflation and the devalued currency. Consequently, continuing devaluation will increase prices. Thats how it works.

That 4 grand Schmidt and Bender will increase in price based on world market trends. Don't take being clairvoyant to see that, even if you want it to go the other way, lots do, me included but that's a fantasy based on current economics.

Lets distill it a bit further... S&B has to pay it's employees a fair and equitable wage directly based on the value of the currency in their country and sell their product based entirely on the value of the currency in the respective countries where their products are offered and still make a profit, because, that's what free enterprise is all about. Only the government can exist without making money or a tangible product. S&B, as a private entity has to show a profit to their shareholders or owners or they cease to exist. I operate my business on exactly the same principle. The crass statement of 'what the market will bear' is a crude way of saying that to stay in business, employ people, who are in turn consumers, like you, the entity has to be solvent and if solvency means a 4 grand scope, it's a 4 grand scope.

Of course you have a choice in what you buy, that's free enterprise as well. That 4 grand toll isn't for everyone, but so long as there remains a viable percentage of purchasers will to pay 4 grand, S&B will remain in business, paying their employees and contributing to the economy of their country.

What you have going on right now is the separation of the 'haves' and have nots'. Those that can afford high end items and those that can't and I can say from watching not only the markets but sales of luxury items that there are quite a few people out there who are still 'haves'

Like J. Paul Getty so aptly said years ago... "It takes money to make money".

I still want to know where I can buy a new car for 8 grand........:D

I have been watching reviews and reports coming in from the Shot Show. There seams like some good new products are coming out. However the prices are INSANE! In today's economy lets come out with a $3500 scope when 95% of the USA cant afford a $400 scope. How bout this idea....better quality for less price??

Seriously here is a list of new scopes and their supossed new pricing that are to me, simply rediculous. (I am copying this from another site so I am not taking any responsibility on accuracy).

Bushnell
Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 Matte 30mm, Illum BTR-2, FFP - $1,398.95

Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 Matte 30mm, Illum BTR-1, FFP - $1,398.95

Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 Matte 30mm, Illum BTR-1, SFP - $1,398.95

Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 Matte 30mm, Illum BTR-2, SFP - $1,398.95

Leupold
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W, $1,949.95

Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 5.56 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W, $1,949.95

Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1, Matte, lllum. Front Focal TMR, $1,949.95

Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal CMR-W, $2,199.95

Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal TREMOR 2, $2,549.95

Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal H-58, $2,549.95

Mark 8

Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm (34mm) M5B1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal Mil Dot, $3,599.95

Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm (34mm) M5B1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal H-27D, $4,599.95

Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2, Matte, Illum. Front Focal Mil Dot, $3,299.95

Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2, Matte, Illum. Front Focal H-58, $3,399.95

Trijicon
Tars 3-15x50 Illum. FFP, New Mil Reticle or MOA, Mil or MOA Adjustments $3600.00

So seriously, WTH is with all these scopes that are $3K+ ??? Everyone has sights set on S&B or what? These scopes are more expensive than my extremely bigger and higher quality spotting scope with 2 different eye pieces?

Here's the deal-if you have to answer the call of nature in the outdoors these new scopes will dispense toilet paper for you. Cool? Actually, it's the usual hype deal. What they will do is keep you from having to hold 6 inches high on a distant target, or 6 inches of wind deflection. If you know your gun's bullet path, you can self adjust for drop, and knowing the basics of wind drift, you can hold for that also. Now, target shooters at long range cannot hold multiple feet high or drift. They have to have the sophisticated adjustments. But the average hunter is just being asked to buy a WHOLE BUNCH OF OVERKILL by the optics people. Just say no, don't need it, won't afford it. With the new free ballistic cell phone apps, the average hunter can do things for himself. But, at 500 yards and out it does require some forethought, and 700 yards is nearly out of the question. But, that's why the super BC bullets are SO CRITICAL-they extend your range out a couple hundred more yards.

Here's the deal-if you have to answer the call of nature in the outdoors these new scopes will dispense toilet paper for you. Cool? Actually, it's the usual hype deal.
exactly pure hype! and over pricedgun)

If I had a friend or even just an acquaintence, that during difficult times, used me, abused me, extorted me, and disrespected me and my economic status at the time, all for the purpose of benefiting and overly prospering oneself, I would remember that individual FOREVER.

Everyone has their choice to spend their money for whatever and whomever, but only if you were a fly on the wall at the manufacturer's executive's closed doors and saw how much these scopes really cost (even with all the costs), I believe you just might be upset.

To each his own, but I will not be one to mislead others in spending their money.

Some good posts here.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.