• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB - Tube-fed .22 rimfire semi-auto rifle featuring "click-clack" action.

Max Heat

I'm looking for the LATER version [59 to 82 vintage, AFAICT] of this model, where the recoil plug tapers down and blends cleanly into the stock. It was manufactured by Savage/Stevens/Springfield, and sold under at least a dozen different names & model #s.. Here is a list that I have put together, though I cannot guarrante that it is 100% accurate:

NAME MODEL#
-------- -------------

Canadian Industries Limited (C.I.L.) 266
Cotter & Co. 487
Gamble Skogkmo 587
Golden West 781
Hiawatha 587
Revelation 135
Revelation 160
Savage 187
Sears 2200
Sears 101.5488
Sears 101.54880
Springfield 187
Stevens 80
Stevens 88
Stevens 887
Western Auto 135
Western Auto 160
Western Field 836
Westpoint 487

Stamping on the barrel indicates that .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle ammo can be used in it.

Not a single response after a week? With all of the different names & model #s that it was manufactured/sold under, I'm surprised that no one [who has seen this thread] has 1 that they are willing to sell.

Many of them have letter designations following the model#. The "base" model for example (Savage 187), has letter designations ranging from A through at least R, with higher letters designating later years of production. The 187N seems to be a particularly common one that I believe to be of [early to mid?] 70s vintage.

Maybe an explanation of click-clack action is in order here, as I was not able to find any reference at all to it on this site, other than in MY previous post. It is a recoil operated auto-loading action, where the "click" occurs when the trigger is pulled and the round in the chamber fires, driving the bolt back and ejecting the spent shell. The "clack" occurs when the trigger is released, at which time the bolt is pushed forward by the re-coil spring behind it, chambering the next round, and so on. The rifles sporting these actions were known for being notorious mis-feeders, if they were not cleaned very frequently.

I used to have one [way] back in my late teens/early 20s, but ended up offing it after the extractor fell out & was lost. Now that I am into my "nostalgic" years, I'd like to get my hands on another one, to help me re-live those by-gone years. I would prefer to make a deal with someone in [my state of] PA, where private sales/purchases of long guns (rifles & shotguns) do not need to go through an FFL holder (also no shipping charges, if I pick up). But I will consider any deal from anywhere, as long the asking price works for me.

I ran your models thru Calguns last night, and nothing popped up. Seems like everyone's as nostalgic as you are here in Cali. GunsAmerica has a Revelation in lever action (might buy it for parts in case you come across an action.

The Sears 3T (or any other Winchester 190 based model) is "somwhat" simillar to the savage 187 model that I'm looking for, but I really don't think that it is "the one", as I doubt that the action is the click-clack type. I suppose win could have started producing their own version (copying it) once the sav patents ran out. Same goes for the [Marlin] Glenfield model (can't remember the #) that is also simillar looking. But since the type of semi action design that I am referring to was so prone to carbon "load-up" issues, I'm not seeing where sav's competitors would have thought it made financial sense to copy it. But I don't know that for a fact, since sav did run with that model/design for a good number of years (with1982 being the last/latest). Ultimately the only sure-fire way to know, would be to actually fire one that has additional rounds loaded in it, and see if the bolt "holds" back until the trigger is released. I know that mag-fed semi-autos will ONLY hold the bolt back after the LAST ROUND has been fired. But the bolt will still remain back after [finger pressure on] the trigger is released. For other tube-fed designs, I'm not sure if that even happens. Even if other makers' models did make use of the click-clack design, I'd still prefer at least a "genuine" re-make of the Savage model 187, since that WAS the one that I used to have.

Yes, I have also heard of them being referred to as gill rifles. Of course my rendition of that term would be "gillies" - or would "guillies" be the correct spelling? Anyways, I wonder if "nostalgia" is really the reason that folks who do own them don't seem to be all that willing to part with them. You know how some folks (probably most members here) are, when it comes to their firearms. I have to go now, so we'll just leave it at that.

I have one that was my fathers and I would never sell it. It always had this cheap lace up leather recoil pad on it. One day after my father was long gone I took off the stupid recoil pad only to discover it had a storage compartment under a pivoting steel but plate. Inside the storage compartment I found a note written in my Granmothers hand writing that said Dec 25th 1937. What a wonderfull old 22.

Good luck in your quest Rob

These are on Gunbroker all the time; if I were you I would go search there. They are not expensive at all.

I bought one several years ago for nostalgia reasons just like you are. And the one I bought frequently jammed just like my old one did and many of them do. :D
So, I sold it and decided that I'd let my memories stay memories.

The memories come flooding back! I had a Springfield like this a long time ago. The number of cans and woodchucks that were perforated could not be counted. The rifle was older than dirt in the 70's. Well worn inside and out but still shot minute of woodchuck at 100. If I had a dollar for every round I put through it, .... well, I could retire.

Pete

I appreciate the opportunity to get those old rusty flood gates opened up for you man!

Anyways, I HAVE been looking at the on-line auctions such as gun broker and guns america. But aside from not being registered on any of them, here is the problem that I'm currently unwilling to ante up to: Last 1 I saw on GB (or was it GA?) went tor 62 bucks. At first glance, that doesn't seem too bad, but it was really beat up. Now when you figure in 30+30 (shipping plus FFL transfer fee), you end up with what I call the 2X factor. Not worth it, for some beat-up old 22, in my opinion. And if "I" did decided that I wanted it (or another 1), I would have had to to fight it out with the person who ended up being the winning bidder. The big dude up in the clouds is the only 1 who knows where that would have gone, before MY senses kicked in and ditched me out of the running. Although I do admit that I would have gained at least SOME degree of satisfaction, in knowing that I was able to bid the other guy up!

So if you consider that to be the poor-condition deal, figure that for something in decent condition, the price will only go UP from there. But now if somebody next door, across town, or maybe even across the state, handed it to me and said gimme 60 for it, they surely would have become 60 dollars richer. And they would be 25-35% richer than the guy who sold on-line. In my opinion, it is beneficial to BOTH the buyer AND seller. I'd be pulling LESS money out of MY pocket, while putting MORE into the seller's pocket at the same time. I'm not a very big fan of dumping extra money into a "system", when there are "cost-free" forums out there that can bring the parties together. Keep in mind that we aren't talking about some exotic 416B here. I can't help it, but my mind balks when it comes to having to pay ANYTHING extra, on some junky old 22.

You are correct - this is exactly the issue with buying one of these online. The price you pay is a lot more than it's worth. I lost a few $ on the one I sold too, but thankfully sold it locally.

However, since semiauto rifles are not legal for hunting in PA (never figured that one out) you may not have that many near you. Scout the statewide gun forums and see what you can find, else check MD, NJ, DE, etc.

Now you got me thinkin that us PA folk are missin out. I suppose that the logic is given the game a fighting chance, if your 1st shot misses (autoloading shotguns ARE legal, with a 3-shot limit for small game). I have come to accept it, but things could definately get "exciting" if they did open up on that restriction. Especially when you consider the opening day of rifle deer season in this state, when the so-called "million-man army" takes to the woods. What already sounds like a war starting, would be like all-out WWIII, if they all were packing semis! But hey, PA is known to be quite backwards, in many ***-pects. Hell, I'm still waiting for them to ditch thier friggin "blue" laws - or is it the "sunshine" laws (can't remember anymore) - and open up sundays for hunting game other than crow.

Anyways, the quest for one of these old 22's is starting to drop down lower on my priority list now. If a deal on one presents itself in my travels through the remaining years of my life, I'll grab it. But I won't be going out of my way, other than perhaps trying to make it to a few more gun shows than I normally attend, and not passing-up gun stores that haven't been visited in a while). Thanks to all who replied.

-Steve

Max Heat
I have a just stumbled across this post. I do not know if you still want one but I have a Stevens 887 with scope that works and I would be willing to let it go for $100 plus shipping. I will sent you pictures if you want and I also have an extra lifter for it. Just contact me and we can work something out. I would have to ship it to a FFL to have it transferred.