WSM/WSSM vs. Mag.

At the risk of sounding ignorant I need to ask what the main advantage of the short magnums are versus the standard magnums? Is it mainly a shorter action in order to reduce weight? It seems that many of the short magnums and standard magnums are very close ballistically. Just trying to narrow down some choices for a new rifle. Thanks in advance for any help!

despite minor differences in ballistics;
weight would be less in the short and super short mags.
bolt throw(if speed makes a difference to you)

some cons would be accurate barrel life would be slightly less with more throat erosion from WSM/WSSM
and also is some weapons the WSM or WSSM will hold fewer rounds in the magazine.

That being said, i have a 243 wssm and i wouldnt trade it for anything. it has the ability to kill any big game animal where i live.. I dropped a big cow elk from 368yrd dead right there with 1 shot (shooting 95gr hornady SST). I personally like the big punch you get in the small package

The 300 WSM is actually know for good barrel life. I'm not sure why but maybe the 35* shoulder has something to do with it. On the other hand the 270 WSM is known to be a barrel burner.

The two advantages I see in the 300 WSM vs the WM is the shorter case that allows you to to use long high BC bullets and still have a repeater. The other advantage I see is with RL17, I can get equal or better velocities than a WM with a little less powder.

-Mark

Re: WSM /WSSM vs. Mag.

I bought my wife a 25 wssm. The 25.06 ballistically is a little stronger, but I don't think the game animals know the difference between 100 fps. It drops deer like lightning. I also have a 325 wsm. I suppose you could call them wildcats, and the brass is only from winchester except in the 300 wsm as it has gained some popularity. So there are other ammo manufactures that produce it.

I reload both and both are accurate. My wife likes the 25 as its light/easy to handle and little recoil. The 325 bites at both ends. The BOSS system helps with the recoil.

Standard cal. ammo will be more readily available, but I suppose if you are hunting in some remote area and you need to buy ammo (because you did not pack enough) or some other problem releived you of your ammo then finding these wsm and wssw cal. may present a problem.

I like the 25 its been a real tack driver.

In the 270 wsm ballistics did out perform the 270 but not by a whole bunch. I have the 270 and bumping up to the 270 wsm just did not gain me that much.
If I needed or wanted new a 270 I would certainly consider the 270 wsm.

Some how I don't think the wssms took off like Winchester had hoped. But those that are out there and I've seen a few in shops here and there, they can be real sweet shooters. Come to think of it I did see a 243 wssm in a local shop here in VA. If the price is right, I just might pick it up as a varmit rifle. Smokin!!!! little 243!!!!!

Thanks for the quick replies. So basically it seems to be personal preference as there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage or disadvantage of either. In other words, if I already have a .300 WM, I wouldn't benefit from a .300 WSM. It would be better to spend the money on a different caliber whether it be a short magnum or standard magnum? Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick replies. So basically it seems to be personal preference as there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage or disadvantage of either. In other words, if I already have a .300 WM, I wouldn't benefit from a .300 WSM. It would be better to spend the money on a different caliber whether it be a short magnum or standard magnum? Thanks again!
If you have a 300WM, you have all you need. I've heard that the 300WSM has a bit less recoil, but I've shot both and I really couldn't feel much difference. You might save a little powder reloading, but that's about it.

I think your on the right track going to another caliber if you've already got something in 300.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.