WSM Wildcats? 350 cal?

skyfish25

I'm really thinking of building(actually having barrel put on a Savage rifle) for deer hunting in Iowa. As of now, any 350 Cal or larger rifle is legal for Iowa deer hunting during gun season. Has anyone done something like this, so reamer and dies would be somewhat easier to source? I would consider other ideas. I really only need about 400 yard rifle, maybe a tad more. but don't need a 600+ yard rifle. I have a 7mm SUAM and love it, just can't use in Iowa.

I would just buy a Savage and get a new barrel to keep cost down, then I can get a different barrel if laws in Iowa change again. If I really like I can get a new stock, but the storm stock fits me pretty well.

Does anyone have an ideas that might work or know of something like this already done?

As a side note, didn't someone make a 338 WSSM in Indiana for deer season? It was something for length of shell to caliber diameter made it okay?

I'm really thinking of building(actually having barrel put on a Savage rifle) for deer hunting in Iowa. As of now, any 350 Cal or larger rifle is legal for Iowa deer hunting during gun season. Has anyone done something like this, so reamer and dies would be somewhat easier to source? I would consider other ideas. I really only need about 400 yard rifle, maybe a tad more. but don't need a 600+ yard rifle. I have a 7mm SUAM and love it, just can't use in Iowa.

I would just buy a Savage and get a new barrel to keep cost down, then I can get a different barrel if laws in Iowa change again. If I really like I can get a new stock, but the storm stock fits me pretty well.

Does anyone have an ideas that might work or know of something like this already done?

As a side note, didn't someone make a 338 WSSM in Indiana for deer season? It was something for length of shell to caliber diameter made it okay?

doing it yourself? Are u putting the tube on your 7saum? Or buying a new gun? get a barrel blank, rent 300wsm and 350 legend reamers. Wsm for body and legend for neck/throat. Probably your cheapest option unless theres a 35wsm reamer available

Last edited:
358 Sambar is 300WSM necked up and is an awesome round -- superior performance to a 35 Whelen AI by far. I would have one, except I'm in Indiana and had a 358 wildcat build when we were restricted to 358 minimum bullet caliber and 1.8" maximum case length. This required a significant shoulder push-back on the WSM case and OAL length shortening. But it still pushes 225s to Whelen AI velocities. It's a real hammer within 300ish yards.

Given Indiana changed its laws a number of years ago now you are probably better to try the Sambar. Sources for the Indiana wildcats have probably dried up.

35 Whelen would be the simple way but a 338 win necked up does sound wicked guess it would be about the same as the 358 Norma

I had a 358 IDC (Indiana Deer Cartridge) built off a Winchester model 70 WSSM action, last I checked Indiana still has a min requirement of .358 bullet and 1.800" case length if you're hunting public ground.
The IDC basically replicated a 358 Winchester. But the WSSM case feeds like crap in that model 70 action. So I switched to 358 Hoosier which is a 358 Winchester case shortened to 1.800".

Thanks guys, might ask a gun smith or 2 about the 358 Sambar. No I won't be doing the work myself, just fire forming brass. Probably just keep about 100 rounds for this. I farm next to a public hunting, and its grown over for cover with no food source, so I get about 40 deer at a time hitting that 60 acres. Not good, I hate when the DNR buys land then lets the fields grow over in thickets. The Mega might be too much for me and I'd like a bit flatter round than the Whelen.

I'm from Iowa, and I hunted with my 375 ruger this year, and loaned out my 35 whelen to a friend. He shot a decent 10 point at about a hundred, and had it not been for one stupid branch in my way, I would have shot a freaking monster 12 point with my 375. Oh well tho. That's why they call it hunting.

Should be able to order a prefit and keep the cost down. Quite a few places sell them. I looked at mcgowen website and they have 4 clambering in 35 to choose from and some up from there. I got one from mcgowen and it is a pretty nice barrel. Then you just need go and no go Guages an action wrench such as a wheeler and the savage nut wrench. There are YouTube videos on how to do it.