Worth reloading for gas guns?

Do you reload for casual use gas guns? I'm on the fence if it is worth it, brass seems to take a bit of a beating, plus not sure I want to dip into my primer stash for my "fun" guns vs dedicated hunting or LR rigs.

What do you guys think? I'm running 308 as well, not 556

I reload for all of my gas guns. My 6 ARC hates the factory Hornady stuff, but loves most handloads. I have a .223 Wylde I only chamber 55 gr FMJ's for it. I wasn't going to load for it, but saw FMJ's for $11 a box of 100 and thought why not. My other .223 Wylde I load for, it it's more for precision. I also load for the 6.5 Grendel. I currently only have one AR I don't load for. I could probably get away not loading for the 6.5 Grendel, but the factory ammo here is not plentiful post Covid.

This is where I'm leaning too right now. Cheap 7.62x51 seems to shoot well enough that I think it's diminishing returns to invest in high quality brass. At least right now, if I started getting more serious with my target practice maybe it would be a different story. Primer availability up here in AK is still very poor so there's that too
What part of AK are you in? I'm not having problems finding SRP, LPP, or SPP here. Now LRP and LRMP, different story. Three Bears and Sportsman's always seems to have primers for the last 6 months or so. It may not be the brand you want, but they've had a steady supply.

Sometimes you get lucky. Not so much with my AR-10 (6.5). It took me a pound of H4350 and about 150 123 SSTs to get it under a minute. Then, I messed around with RL-15 to no avail. Took a stab in the dark, and against my better judgement changed 2 variables at a time, went to Varget and a 130 grain Sierra tipped Gameking. Got .52 MOA out of it, 2,660 fps with an SD of 7. Called it a day but geeze, I burned through alot of stuff. Compared to my bolt guns, that I usually have figured out in 40-50 rounds, it was painful but it will pay off, I think.

Without a progressive press I won't consider it. When you realize how long it took you to load those rounds on a single stage press that were just expelled in a mag dump it cures you of that desire.

Reloading has gotten too expensive to waste my time reloading for my AR. I don't have a precision AR, so the standard cheap 223 or 556 ammo I find is PLENTY good enough for me to save hours of my time that's best spent with my family.

I don't buy factory ammo from my bolt guns, but you can guarantee I do for my gas gun.
I'm in this boat. 223/5.56 bulk ammo is relatively cheap compared to the time and cost of components to reloading.

I don't reload rimfire, and I don't mind the single stage press no matter how many rounds I'm reloading or for which gun or caliber . I like to be sure there are no mistakes round per round Quality control is a pet pea to me. when life is on the line either for self defense or meat to eat I want to be sure there is no damage to me or my gun just the target. That also includes other people around me at the range or on a hunt. Turning out more rounds faster doesn't mean safer I check every round. because I care for the people around me and the one's that count on me. to be sure I don't wont to lose a finger or hand by a bad round or my life. Slow down enjoy what your doing take a brake get a cup of coffee kiss the wife thro the ball with the kid's go back to reloading and enjoy life.

I don't reload rimfire, and I don't mind the single stage press no matter how many rounds I'm reloading or for which gun or caliber . I like to be sure there are no mistakes round per round Quality control is a pet pea to me. when life is on the line either for self defense or meat to eat I want to be sure there is no damage to me or my gun just the target. That also includes other people around me at the range or on a hunt. Turning out more rounds faster doesn't mean safer I check every round. because I care for the people around me and the one's that count on me. to be sure I don't wont to lose a finger or hand by a bad round or my life. Slow down enjoy what your doing take a brake get a cup of coffee kiss the wife thro the ball with the kid's go back to reloading and enjoy life.
Are you saying that factory ammo is or has been unsafe for you? I have read about a few occurrence's with factory ammo but I have never had or knew someone who had a problem with factory ammo.

I reload everything but .22's, too much of a pain to reload those...

I stock up and I mean stock up so I reload it all. Saves money and I can get the most out of all my systems. I use factory ammo when someone is providing it, or it's a great price (Below Wholesale)

I reload for all my ARs. In some cases like the 300BO, it's so I can get Subs that work better or 110/120 gr Barnes solids for less than factory ammo. Generally, I can't buy factory ammo that is anywhere near as good as my handloads. I mostly have precision ARs and I don't see the purpose of shooting them if I can't hit something when I'm aiming at it. I also don't like the idea of burning up my barrels shooting under performing ammo through them.

I can understand that guys running high volume defensive drills that don't have the time would want factory stuff but that isn't my objective.

I was out shooting with a friend last weekend who was running Winchester .308 147 gr FMJ through his Wilson Combat. The stuff had a SD of 40-50 fps and grouped about 2 MOA. He switched over to my GAP10 with 150SST and shot 1/2 MOA with a SD of 5. The factory Norma 147 gr FJM that I brought on sale was a little better at 1 MOA and SD 15-20 so I guess even for the factory ammo users there is a trade off that is worth considering.

I reload .223, 6.8SPC, .300BLK, and 8.6BLK. I have quite a bit of .223 range brass. I deprime it, clean it, then I anneal the cases, all in batches. It'll sit in a bucket for a while then I get an itch to load "quite a few" and that happens on my Dillon XL650. The other calibers are usually loaded on the Forster CO-Ax. 50-100 at a time. If I'm loading 6.8 for my son-in-law I reload those on my Dillon XL650. He's not as picky as I am.

Side note: I did a quick "cost to reload 6.8 SPC" the other day. I did it to point out the cost of brass.

Using good brass a loaded round cost is about the same as box ammo. Brass is over 1/2 of the cost. The better brass is running $1.00 a round. It can be had for cheaper than that but keeping with the dollar a round cost, the first reload is what it is but every time I can reload a case (which is why I anneal, besides that the Amp is quick and easy). It's $1.00 each round or at least the cost of the brass cheaper than box ammo. Two reloads after the initial load, 2x savings, etc, etc. I used the info to make the point to my son-in-law that he needs to save the d***ed brass.

Last edited: