Worst thing you have purchased for reloading

A lee reloading starter set. Wish I would have taken the time to learn reloading before I started purchasing equipment. I literally don't use a single thing out of that original set anymore. I've since upgraded everything.

Some will probably disagree but that's what makes the world go round.

Mine was to different powder auto dispensers (The RCBS Charge master) I realy thought these would improve my loading time and accuracy, They did not. I bought one and found that half the time was spent dumping error charges. So based on other peoples recommendations I bought another one to speed up the process (Some had as many as 3).

The second one was no better at dropping consistent charges than the first. and only complicated the process. so I set out on a mission to evaluate the powder charging process altogether.

I found that with a very good powder measure and beam scale, speed and accuracy was better than using the charge masters. I loaded 50 rounds with one system and 50 more with the other and it wasn't even close.

I checked each load individually and found the measure and scale came out on top with almost 100 % accuracy. the charge master was close to 20% rejected. Curious as to why, I started dumping more loads and If i waited long enough it would give me an error message and the charge had to be dumped.

Once I got the powder measure calibrated and got my rhythm down there were almost no rejects. I also checked these loads with a digital scale that measures to 0.01 g so there would be no human factor. this confirmed that the beam scale was being read correctly and accurately.

Some feel that this level of accuracy is not necessary and I don't disagree, but when I load, I don't want or need any excuses for poor accuracy and except the human factor as the problem.

So I have reverted back to a simple and time proven method that gets me the most consistent loads in less time with less problems.

I sold both of my Charge masters and have never looked back. and of all the poor choices I have made for reloading this has been the most costly one.

J E CUSTOM
I had The same problem with my Lyman digital powder scale so I sold it and bought the newest touch screen model and guess what? Its a *** too. I guess I need to go old school or spend $1000 on a decent digital scale and check every load that comes out of the Lyman DPS.

Oh and a bullet puller that sits on top of the press with different caliber holes and handles u squeeze together to "grip" the bullet. Might as well use vice grips bc u may salvage 1 out of 10 bullets if your running any neck tension at all. The rest look like my dog chewed em up.

Not to mention the Lyman trimmer with the caliber pilots that never seemed to trim the case neck square and was a pain to adjust using to set screws and a screw down collar. Quickly got replaced with a Wilson/Sinclair trimmer with Micrometer.

My best advice to new reloaders is to research these forums and buy the best stuff you can afford and if u can't afford it save up for it bc u will end up upgrading multiple pieces at least once or more if u don't. I definitely learned the hard way.

Just pulled 500 bullets with this tool. The worst mark was hardly visible. I used the .24 cal slot for .22 bullets and it worked very well. A little tough on my hand, but a glove helped.

Hi Guys, two things... why is Hornady brass so bad? I got a couple of new 243's and have been having phenomenal results with factory ammo 58 gr V-max ammo. quarter inch groups at 4000 fps. So, I don't think the brass is not uniform. So, what is the problem?

Second, Winchester brass, was touted as the inexpensive brass you should use if not using Lapua. George Gardener swears by it. I have not had problems with Winchester brass. I know (I was told) that for a brief period Win brass was not as uniform as it used to be, but that was years ago and has since been corrected. So, why do you say Winchester brass is bad?

Respectfully,

Mike

The worst things l ever purchased where Lee case trimmers (17rem, 222rem,243win,308win.) The hand trimmer and the drill attachment all useless and damaged brass, so l bit the bullet, and purchased a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series case trimmer and prep center and a Steed 115/230volt AC converter/Transformer, which has turned out to be the best things l have purchased for reloading.
Need the transformer due to the case prep center being 110v and Australia is 240v.

My digital scales die...just like I can't keep a pair of nice sunglasses. I went back to the beam scale for large rifle and my RCBS powder dropper for "high" volume sessions... pistol stuff mostly.

The absolute worst thing I ever wasted money on was one of the RCBS power puller hammers ( do they even sell these anymore?). You would have to insert the loaded round into the hammer then take out your angered frustration on an innocent 4x4 only to have it crack before the bullet even dropped. When you finally got the bullet loose it would fall out and spill powder all over in the head which would then have to be carefully poured back into a powder jug to be rethrown. Finally got the rcbs puller dies that fit screw into the press and the headache was gone.