Have you taught anyone to reload ?

I have another Grandson that is 17 and would be very good at it, we bought him a Bergara B14 HMR in 7 Rem Mag for his graduation present, he doesn't know yet. However, before we purchased that rifle I asked him if he ever planned to reload his own ammo, his answer was eventually, but not right now.... I have dies, powder and bullets I will try and see what this rifle can do. I will break it in prior to giving it to him and develop a load. Once he sees how accurate it can be, maybe I can encourage him to want to give it a try. I also have a nephew in law that wanted to learn how to reload, I told him I would teach you everything I know, he came over and we worked on all the things he needed to get started, he ordered everything from Cabela's spent 400.00 that day. We purchased a RCBS electronic powder dispenser with scales and gave it to him as a Christmas present. That was 8 years ago and never was invited to help, not sure how much reloading he did, but the powder dispenser/scale was broken, not sure from his children playing with it or something else, that didn't last but about a year. If people would understand, if you learn to reload, your World would open up to so many different cartridges that you would have never looked into owning since Wally World doesn't sell that ammo..
Wow that's an awesome gift. Can I be your adopted child? Maybe a good way to get him interested, is to load two types of ammo; One that shoots well and one that doesn't. Place the poor shooting ones in a store boughten package and place the other; in a clearly marked container with the reload components listed (minus the secret powder amount). Hand him the "boxed ammo" (which will be a disaster) first. Then once he shoots the unicorn round, he'll be hooked. Well in me mind this seems like a great plan. He might just throw a $20 at ya and say how bout you hook me up with some of that shi$. Lol.
keep us up to date.

We got that rifle at a great price, TSS Warehouse had it on sale, regular was 949.00, discount price came to 784.45. I think he will like the rifle, if not he is not to old to spank.. 🤣

My grandson wants me to show him, but he was 8 when asked about it, I just told him when you get a little older and LEARN to pay attention, I will show you all the tricks of the trade. He is now 10, but is still no where near he needs to be in the paying attention department... I just want him to have some maturity before starting.
I started my boys out when they were around eight. I taught them on the old fashioned LeeLoader so they learned hands on with a hammer and hand setting primers. If they are old enough to turn loose on the farm with a .22 they are old enough to load. That was twenty years ago and they are still loading and enjoying it. One shoots competition and has went way beyond my skills and ambition. I have very fond memories of sitting at the bench with my boys years ago and in a few will start to teach my grandkids, .....on a LeeLoader.

I went from a Lee loader which about put an eye out to next a dillion 550 reloaded. I HAD no one to help me with the dillion so I called dillion for hours. I was trying to load 416 rem mag and they crushed easy .I finally got the hang of it and wore out that dillion and they gave me another one .I hope I can teach some more kids to hunt and shoot and reload!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts