Have you taught anyone to reload ?

I just don't understand it, when my gunsmith told me he would teach me to load my own if I bought the equipment I asked for a list and started ordering items that day. It so opens up your world to whatever extent you are willing to go. He steered me in directions that he had learned the hard way, other than totally terrible advice on die's I have everything he suggested to this day. Why wouldn't you want to learn? My son will one day have a fully equipped reloading set-up and yet doesn't care enough to learn how to use it. I'm going to keep after him cause I won't always be able to show him, and it could be real important somewhere in the future if they tax factory ammo out of sight or if different cartridges become unavailable as loaded ammo. Glad I never got into wildcats, makes me think about the 284 I want to build next. Some day maybe........

I am wondering if reloading will disappear before our eyes. KIDS dont like to do manual labor much these days .I want to teach some more kids to reload just like I taught them hunting and fishing .I am seeing a ton of guys above 60 quiting reloading.
I am over 60 myself, and I reload everything I shoot. Can't see myself quitting any time soon. Of course I don't relate to over 60, so that might help.

Here is my 11 year old daughter. She was 10 in the reloading pic. The pic of here with the deer is her first deer taken this last nov. the bullets she was using she reloaded herself! I'm with her every step of the way. It's unreal how thorough she has become. And quite a darn good shot as well. She took that little buck at162 yards. I have a 15 year old son that loves hunting, but would rather be hunting the reloading.
That makes a guy proud, doesn't it?

Today's kids get board really quick .I was wondering if anyone was teaching kids or others to reload. I learned on my own and went from a leeloader straight to a dillion 550 progressive .I showed a few kids how to and they loved it .I see lots of people selling off all their reloading stuff lately .I just bought another dillion 550 I got tired 8f changing over the primer system .I am 57 now and not sure if I will be reloading in ten years but I hope so .I have loaded over 100,000 rounds and actually wore out a dillion which they replaced for free .

Yes I have taught my sons and other to reload. I started my oldest son off on his 25/06 and a 800 B for shotgun. Worked with him and my youngest son. Now there are both either a little over 40 and a little under 40. Working with the youngest to develop a load for his 338 Win Mag. Hoping to get my new 338 Win Mag here shortly too to see I can do with it. I have a 338 Win Mag in a Ruger Mark 11 in a 24" barrel, that I load 200gr SPBT velocity is 3220 fps. Looking to see what I can or can't do with the new rifle in 26" barrel. My son 338 is A bolt in a 26" barrel. We have just started with it. We are within .5 grain of max powder without pressure signs. One more case to load to see if the powder charge will work. Haven't tried to shot for group yet. Just looking for pressure sign presently.

The best part is my youngest son daughter at age 5 is watching us loading. I think I have grand daughter that just might be interested in it. I know my older son boy will get into it. He's shooting a 22 that I got him and one for his sister for christmas. The three of them are having a great time.

That was the best way to keep my sons around when they were in High Schools. I would say I am going hunting. They were there to hunt. They got to drive the 4x4 too. Petty good 4 wheeler too. Watch them shot their first buck too.

SSS
Mike

I've got four children, oldest one started reloading .45 when she was about 9. Most were depriming as soon as they could pull the handle. #2 is 13 and he just worked up his own load for the first time for a predator hunting comp last weekend...which we won woot!

And not to say anything bad about any member here, but children being pre occupied with electronics as an excuse for not doing something is a parenting fail IMHO. Who bought them that crap? Who's allowing them to spend their lives on it? Rant off, flame suit on.

I taught my son and granddaughter how to reload shot shells on MEC Sizemaster 12GA and 20 Gage Versa Mec.
They both took to it like a duck on a june bug.
As far a s Brass, I have provided loaded ammo and one day will teach him how to load brass. He has A Hornady Reloader,s Guide just needs time to rerad and begin. Not soccer, basketball, baseball keep him busy

Today's kids get board really quick .I was wondering if anyone was teaching kids or others to reload. I learned on my own and went from a leeloader straight to a dillion 550 progressive .I showed a few kids how to and they loved it .I see lots of people selling off all their reloading stuff lately .I just bought another dillion 550 I got tired 8f changing over the primer system .I am 57 now and not sure if I will be reloading in ten years but I hope so .I have loaded over 100,000 rounds and actually wore out a dillion which they replaced for free .
As a retired educator, I'm not sure that you can teach someone; "How to reload?". Every cartridge has unique characteristics and after 50 years of reloading, I still learn new things when I get a new gun or even with old guns and in some cases by mistakes. For example, I reloaded about 250 rounds of 5.56 and then discovered that my Ruger doesn't like them at all. I am hoping that it will be able to cycle them when I get it broken in. So far I've only fired about 100 rounds thru it and Ruger says I need to fire at least 300 rounds. So here I am 70 years old and learned something that I never new or had any idea why it would not work. Every reloading die comes with an instruction booklet, read it and follow it, religiously. A reloader's manual is your Bible!

Right or wrong, this is what i did with the kids when they were little, and will do with my grandson when he starts shooting. I let the kids help... Loading shotshells on a Mec 9000G, I would let them insert the wad in the machine, and box the ammo. Loading centerfire, I would insert the charged case in the press and let them add the bullet from the other side, then I would seat the bullet, and they would remove the round from the press and box the rounds. Two stools, one on either side of the press. They "helped" load the shells they shot. Yes, they are slower than doing it all yourself. But, them adding the bullet made them feel they were shooting "Their" bullets. Kept interest up, and gave them a little extra quality time with Daddy. If they are big enough to shoot, they are big enough to help with the work. They eventually learned to load their own ammo, but never showed any interest in loading "Daddy's". They are both girls BTW.
I am with you! I have let 5 grand kids help me as you did, as they showed an interest. Usually at about 6 or 7 yrs old. I help THEM size a rifle case & seat a bullet in an empty case w/o a primer and they get to take it home. Now when ever they visit the younger ones always ask if they are old enough yet to 'build their bullet'?

I taught a buddy to reload. Spent several hours on process and even worked up a sub 1/2 moa load for his 17 Rem. About a year later, he stopped by with his dies, brass, etc. asking me to load for him. I refused, but offered to again show him how. Several hours later, he left with 100 rounds.

Skip ahead several years and we are driving to a farm to hunt groundhogs when he asks if I could stop at a gun shop along the way so he could pick up some 17 Rem ammo. To my amazement, the owner of this small shop pulled two boxes from behind the counter. After further inquiries with the owner, I learned that he kept a case on hand just for my friend. The topic of reloading has not come up since, but my friend told last month that me he bought a 22-250, so I will not be surprised when he shows up at my door with a shopping bag of brass, etc. and when he does, I'll do it all over again.

Currently I have 3 young adults and 1 child who are in different levels of my teachings WRT shooting, loading and hunting. 1 of my "students" has already bought his own basic loading kits. I just love teaching and sharing my knowledge with any respectful person. I still learn myself which is also important. I've learned many things just since joining this forum in fact. My grandson is like a sponge and I'm sure he has a photographic memory. Right now he enjoys working the press.
I look forward to him coming over for another lesson.

I took a Re-Loaders course II a few years ago,,, best bang per buck that cut my re-loading time in half,,, and the keep it simple stuff on top of that...

Adresss the stuff that will benifit you the most,,, once we have that down pat,,, it allows us to take on the small stuff later on if we choose to...

Cheers from the North

I too started out with a Lee Loader (357 mag) back in 83. Moved to am RCBS single stage, then a Dillon 650.
I've taught my brother, 2 close friends, my wife and now my son. They all still load and honestly I I think they enjoy it as much as I do. Get them shooting, then get them loading. Our industry needs the support.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts