Have you taught anyone to reload ?

I have introduced quite a few shooters to IHMSA silhouettes over the years. Most have started to reload in order to shoot MORE. Father n law taught me back in the 70s to handled and cast when handgun silhouette shooting began

Today's kids get board really quick .

I plane don't like today's kids.

But seriously, my wife has shown some interest in reloading for her Savage .243. I think if she shoots a deer with one of her reloads and the recovery is easy she will be hooked, but if it is a difficult recovery or no recovery, that will be the end of it. We don't have kids, so she would probably be the only one I could teach.

Today's kids get board really quick .I was wondering if anyone was teaching kids or others to reload. I learned on my own and went from a leeloader straight to a dillion 550 progressive .I showed a few kids how to and they loved it .I see lots of people selling off all their reloading stuff lately .I just bought another dillion 550 I got tired 8f changing over the primer system .I am 57 now and not sure if I will be reloading in ten years but I hope so .I have loaded over 100,000 rounds and actually wore out a dillion which they replaced for free .
Today's kids get board really quick .I was wondering if anyone was teaching kids or others to reload. I learned on my own and went from a leeloader straight to a dillion 550 progressive .I showed a few kids how to and they loved it .I see lots of people selling off all their reloading stuff lately .I just bought another dillion 550 I got tired 8f changing over the primer system .I am 57 now and not sure if I will be reloading in ten years but I hope so .I have loaded over 100,000 rounds and actually wore out a dillion which they replaced for free .
I led a life group a few years ago through our church for young men interested in hunting, shooting, butchering ect. We did a series on reloading and all the young men involved were excited to learn this new skill. I am currently working with my 18 y.o. grandson starting the process of sharing my knowledge on reloading. I definitely think this is a skill we should pass along to our younger generations.

I've taught all 3 of my sons to reload and I've taught 5 of my grandkids to reload and a son in law also. I reload 9 pistol cartridges and 11 rifle cartridges and 2 different shot shell cartridges. So I have a variety of reloading to keep any one interested. I think it's more for me than them. But the way I look at it it's time well spent with family.

My grandson wants me to show him, but he was 8 when asked about it, I just told him when you get a little older and LEARN to pay attention, I will show you all the tricks of the trade. He is now 10, but is still no where near he needs to be in the paying attention department... I just want him to have some maturity before starting.
My daughter is 12 she does most of the prep work for now

I'm helping a friend learn.
At the same time, my 2-1/2y/o son "helps" with the press. Only at the resize stage, but he is wanting to be involved. He will hopefully be a great student as he grows and matures.

*Edit* - His helping is setting and removing the brass from the shell holder, then pulling and pushing the press handle on a single stage RCBS. It's great to watch him press down; he lifts his entire body off the ground to get the handle to press at the very bottom of the motion, then uses all of his strength to push it back to the very top.

Are you kidding?? 20-35 year olds...want it NOW ! Slap out the "plastic CC" and go shoot. "Everyone" wants to come shoot at the farm...but if their Bolt Action deer rifle can hit a Pie Plate at 100 yards...they are good to go...if they can burn 30 rounds through their AR in 15 seconds...then the world will "fear" their shooting skill. I wish I could find someone to share reloading with but, it takes "too much time"...and "why should I care if I hit 2" off center...the animal dies"...(geeezzz) Guess that's one of the reasons I spend so much time on LRH forums. Nothing more relaxing, to me, than "working" in my reloading room. It's sad to say, but I think the younger generation had rather watch reloading on utube...(we all know that if it's on the internet...then it's got to be true.) Social skills are becoming a thing of the past...reading, research and learning from a Mentor is being replaced by "just google it"

Are you kidding?? 20-35 year olds...want it NOW ! Slap out the "plastic CC" and go shoot. "Everyone" wants to come shoot at the farm...but if their Bolt Action deer rifle can hit a Pie Plate at 100 yards...they are good to go...if they can burn 30 rounds through their AR in 15 seconds...then the world will "fear" their shooting skill. I wish I could find someone to share reloading with but, it takes "too much time"...and "why should I care if I hit 2" off center...the animal dies"...(geeezzz) Guess that's one of the reasons I spend so much time on LRH forums. Nothing more relaxing, to me, than "working" in my reloading room. It's sad to say, but I think the younger generation had rather watch reloading on utube...(we all know that if it's on the internet...then it's got to be true.) Social skills are becoming a thing of the past...reading, research and learning from a Mentor is being replaced by "just google it"
And who's fault is all of this? We all have to put our big boy pants on, take credit for it and fix it. We cannot leave it to someone else. We have to be the responsible ones.

yes a few...safety the main thrust. I started at 16....now still reloading at 67. Don't want it to be a dying art but many would like it to die. Start a movement.....it is rewarding....

Times have changed haven't they? I am somewhat like you can easily profile groups of people, right or wrong. I have a problem where crap needs to be perfect, making my own ammo is the only way I will shoot. I do buy 9mm ammo and 223 blasting ammo though.

Yes, teaching, advising, helping, reloading for those who through disability cannot load on their own. I often throw in components and loan items to help them get started. Have distributed presses, measurers, scales and such from folks who have given them to me due to their advancing age and am known so when a man dies, I often inherit his tools to be be distributed. Great hobby and a good way to make lasting friends.

I taught a buddy how to reload and worked up loads together for his 17 Rem. A year later he showed up at my place with his dies, brass, primers, etc. asking me to load some more for him. I refused, instead offering him the another opportunity to learn for himself. Spent 4 hours on the basics and thought he was good to go. Not so. Heading out to hunt groundhogs last spring, we stoped by a local gun shop so that he could pick up some factory ammo. Apparently, they keep 17 Rem in stock for him at $40 a box. I tried twice, failed twice, but would do it again If he asks me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.