Wolves too close

Salmonchaser

Early this morning I ran out to a friends property in the blue mountains. He has some great canyons and ridges, great country for keeping me and the dogs in shape.
Disappointed as I arrived, the fog was thick, wouldn't be seeing any elk I thought.
Left the truck, 400 yards behind and about 400 feet below the dogs started acting weird. Wind was in our face, fog was starting to lift when Molly stopped, hackled up. Sugar came scooting in out of the fog, ran-right up behind me. Molly, snarling, looks back at me like how you want to handle this.
Understand Molly has charged and bitten no less than four grizzly at our place in Alaska.
I have no idea at the moment what they smell, but I've learned to believe my dogs. A couple of seconds elapsed time. Some where in the process my .45 ended up in my hands. I had just brought Molly to heel, Sugar was already there. Let's just back out of here I was thinking when out of the fog come four wolves. The wolves immediately stopped, 40 yards +/-. Molly growls, pistol comes up, wolves spin and go when I yelled. Six to 10 seconds start to finish.
Said to hell with working out.
How was your morning?

That's what Im talk'n about!! Stuff that makes your blood run hot/cold.
I was surrounded by a pack of yotes in a briar patch after following a blood trail @ 1 in the morning fro a hot i made an hour before. I couldn't see them, but they sounded like they were in my back pocket. I didn't/t run away, but i slowly walked out with my BAR holding it straight out from my waist.
I had a flashback of the Stewart Granger/Wendell Cory movie titled 'The Wild North' (1952, ((when men were men and the women were glad of it)) where they fought hand to hand combat with a pack of attacking wolves in their camp.
Great post. Thx!!

Last edited:
IMG_2096.JPG
Good dogs
They are good dogs
Just when you think you've seen it all!

I think the wolves were simply running the ridge. Sugar had been out of sight in the fog for just a few seconds when she came running back. I think the wolves had just picked up her scent, their heads were up, air scenting, when we saw each other.
But yes, exciting. Not my first rodeo but first in what amounts to zero visibility.

In my local paper today.Wolf wandering streets of Cook city,killed dog two weeks ago.Advise keep pets inside

Those dogs spun out pretty quick. The big concern I had was not bringing a spare magazine, no idea if there were more around and I had 400 yards to get to the truck.
Much as I think we've to many wolves, couldn't justify taking a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.