wolves or no wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my experiance hunting the wolf.I avreage 50 fall days hunting bell to bell.Grew up hunting wilderness area that had lots of game before wolf. I have been in a position to blunt or close enough for a bow harvest of almost all game in MT right down to lynx and wolverine,had both at 30 yrds.Taken many book animals and my last 20 bulls where 6x6. Ive spent weeks on end after regular season wolf hunting.Gave it up and just worked this year.Have never had a crack at one,howeled them in close.Almost got one with my truck going to work last year.Then my kids friends that hardly hunt both shot wolfs,where Ive been 1000 times.I cant image how much fuel ive burned hunting them.
It has to be more about luck than anything. I read somewhere that they will regularly have home ranges of hundreds of miles for a large pack, and regularly travel 100 miles in a 24 hour period. The odds of being where they are on the same day are just ridiculous by themselves. Then they are about a million times more intelligent than anything in the deer family, and on top of that, all of their senses are exponentially better. That would be the most challenging animal to hunt in the western hemisphere, bar none. There is probably nothing that I'd rather hunt in North America, but I'm fully aware how ridiculous it would be to go out there for a few weeks and stomp around the hills. If I lived out there I would feel obligated to hunt them. I probably spend 90 days a year hunting coyotes here, and I'd love to have that kind of time to chase wolves..

One day I was deep in them had over a dozen close,was jogging them down miles from my rig in shin deep snow.Did a set up trying to get them close,was out with my long range rig,which hold two rounds?Almost,must winded me,next howl there already of far ridge.Was in em out by Sherms last winter.

One day I was deep in them had over a dozen close,was jogging them down miles from my rig in shin deep snow.Did a set up trying to get them close,was out with my long range rig,which hold two rounds?Almost,must winded me,next howl there already of far ridge.Was in em out by Sherms last winter.
I saw where someone mentioned earlier that you can't use e-callers? Is that right?

If so, are you using hand calls to howl them in, and if so, how responsive are they? Do they ever come to prey distress sounds?

If you want to fix the wolf problem then trap them by the pack and release them back east near liberal cities.

They will go from "poor wolves need protected" to "shoot on sight" after everyone's pets are eaten and a few kids go missing.

If you want to fix the wolf problem then trap them by the pack and release them back east near liberal cities.

They will go from "poor wolves need protected" to "shoot on sight" after everyone's pets are eaten and a few kids go missing.
We had a good conversation going. Maybe you didn't notice. 406muley

I stuck it out for years in my wilderness area i grew up in,disbelieve at first.Then thinking the game would rebound,two years ago I went in on 11 mile round trip,saw few muley tracks,one cow moose up at about 6000 +,thats it.Best day in same drainage 7 bull,20+ cows,large muley with stickers,and a big dark legged grizz. First year i didnt hunt there,actually tried but snow was to deep when I went.Ran all over MT looking for new spot,found lots of people.

I stuck it out for years in my wilderness area i grew up in,disbelieve at first.Then thinking the game would rebound,two years ago I went in on 11 mile round trip,saw few muley tracks,one cow moose up at about 6000 +,thats it.Best day in same drainage 7 bull,20+ cows,large muley with stickers,and a big dark legged grizz. First year i didnt hunt there,actually tried but snow was to deep when I went.Ran all over MT looking for new spot,found lots of people.
Is it pushing the deer to different areas, or are they actually knocking the populations down that much? I read that in the first years after reintroduction the deer and elk don't know how to deal with them and get hammered hard, but within a few generations they alter their behavior and then the wolves aren't as successful. Do you see it coming back in your area, or believe that it can?

We had a good conversation going. Maybe you didn't notice. 406muley
LOL, just went back and read the last few pages.

I've been out of Montana since the 90's but hear about the wolves and such when talking to family and friends back there. Interestingly, I saw my first wolf in the wild last year riding across eastern oregon on my motorcycle. My wife and I tented about 5 miles up the road from where it crossed in front of me (I actually slowed to about 5mph and we gave each other the stink eye). Anyway the wolves were loud as hell that night, it was pretty cool to hear it and see one.

I want to plan a trip back to Montana late summer this year. I have no idea what the laws are for shooting wolves, I'd hope it is the same as shooting 'yotes and rabbits. I just know I would never drive around in a vehicle with oregun plates with a rifle glassing areas.

Just to be Devil's advocate, I know that some years the snow gets so deep it would kill off elk by the thousands (Bob Marshal, Dearborn, Augusta....). I remember out by Augusta you could see them in the foot hills being driven down by town and dying off (hell they were dropping hay for them). Anyway, I would imagine wolves would be follow the herds to feed in the winter and when they have a kill I would think that would be the time to slaughter them. Also calling and spot lighting seems like a promising way but like I said I don't know the laws for killing Wolves in Montana.

Anyway, what are the laws? Can an out of state person just come and shoot them on public land? I know we never worried about anything when shooting 'yotes on the farm back in the day, but I am sure all things change for the worse.

You can, as long as you have a non resident hunting license and tag. There classified as a game animal here so there is a season.
Theres a push to change laws to allow more liberal seasons and I hope to classify them like a predator I'm not sure how that all stands currently.

LOL, just went back and read the last few pages.

I've been out of Montana since the 90's but hear about the wolves and such when talking to family and friends back there. Interestingly, I saw my first wolf in the wild last year riding across eastern oregon on my motorcycle. My wife and I tented about 5 miles up the road from where it crossed in front of me (I actually slowed to about 5mph and we gave each other the stink eye). Anyway the wolves were loud as hell that night, it was pretty cool to hear it and see one.

I want to plan a trip back to Montana late summer this year. I have no idea what the laws are for shooting wolves, I'd hope it is the same as shooting 'yotes and rabbits. I just know I would never drive around in a vehicle with oregun plates with a rifle glassing areas.

Just to be Devil's advocate, I know that some years the snow gets so deep it would kill off elk by the thousands (Bob Marshal, Dearborn, Augusta....). I remember out by Augusta you could see them in the foot hills being driven down by town and dying off (hell they were dropping hay for them). Anyway, I would imagine wolves would be follow the herds to feed in the winter and when they have a kill I would think that would be the time to slaughter them. Also calling and spot lighting seems like a promising way but like I said I don't know the laws for killing Wolves in Montana.

Anyway, what are the laws? Can an out of state person just come and shoot them on public land? I know we never worried about anything when shooting 'yotes on the farm back in the day, but I am sure all things change for the worse.
I was in Eastern Oregon last summer and while traveling through northwest Nevada I saw a wolf, which ran away. It was stalking a cow and calf, about fifty miles west of the Sheldon national antelope refuge.
OOPs Sorry, Not supposed to vent my Political feelings
Thank goodness people's thoughts on politics aren't all the same. If this were not the case the world would be less interesting.

Biden supporters like me, I have a Ph.D.!
I would have voted for Biden but decided I would wait for a hair sniffing chi-com senile lying pedophile that didn't want to take my guns and flood our streets with illegals. I never wanted a Ph.D, but I am very impressed that you were willing to spend that much time and money on your education.

I would have voted for Biden but decided I would wait for a hair sniffing chi-com senile lying pedophile that didn't want to take my guns and flood our streets with illegals. I never wanted a Ph.D, but I am very impressed that you were willing to spend that much time and money on your education.
I have heard many insults hurled at Biden before, but this is the first time I have heard him called a pedophile. Please explain that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts