Wolves gone wild.

You talk pretty smart yet how do we know you even hunt in an area with wolves? You could be in southern MN, where there are none or a infrequent visitor.

I will tell you this is not the case in northern WI. in the 2010 season there were no/limited doe tags in the northern 1/3rd of the state, this should mean that those does will drop fawns for 2011. 2010 nubbin bucks will grow antlers the following year to be huntable bucks, since none should be shot with no antlerless tags.

Well 2011 rolls around and the buck kill in that part of the state was down 20%, as high as 29% in some units.
Our winter last year was relativly mild last year and the DNR is scratching there heads as our weather this year during the 9 day season was ideal.

The last 3 years the deer kill in WI is down over 150,000 to 200,000 vs the previous 5 seasons. Some of this is overharvest but where the hunters kill is really dropping is in wolf range.

Take a moderatly severe winter and wolves harassing game and disrupting feed paterns, now these stressed animals sucome to winter kill when they normally (minus the wolf) would survive, no one ever counts these numbers that are directly related to the wolf being on the landscape.

Personally, Every one of the mutts should be wiped from the landscape in the lower 48.
There not endangered in Canada and Alaska
I beieve that about 5 years ago you killed over 600,000 deer in the state of Wisconsin, it was so overpopulated they were destroying habitat.
You have some of the best deer baiting.. er hunting in the nation. I hunt near Hibbing, trust me we have wolves.
What we have done is get a farmer in to kee a few fields planted so the deer have ample food going in to the winter. We have brought a logger in to remove the mature trees and create better winter browse for the deer. We discovered long ago that the wolves were there to stay so we are doing what we can to provide better habitat for the wildlife.
The anti hunters are just that, and the worst one of them all is the Humane society, yes the little innocent shelter you go to buy your puppies and they over charge you for that little puppy and then take the money and file a lawsuit to keep the wolf on the endangered list. And then when they win the lawsuit the government has to pay all their legal expenses. So it costs them nothing and they can go and file a lawsuit to, say stop trapping in Maryland, or end mountain lion hunting in California. So you see I am fairly well informed. Some of you are very well infomed and its those that are making great posts. And some are making threats. I am in fact an avid hunter, I am not however of the ilk that think we should wipe out all the predators, but control their populations same as we do the wildlife. The anti hunters think that if we just let nature be itself it will all be a panachea, when in fact mother nature works in the extreme.

Last edited:
I beieve that about 5 years ago you killed over 600,000 deer in the state of Wisconsin, it was so overpopulated they were destroying habitat.
You have some of the best deer baiting.. er hunting in the nation.
did you even read his post? that was 5 years ago,,, he said the number killed is down 150-200k that must mean the actual population is way way down, and continues to trend that way....obviously patterns mean nothing to you.

So where exactly do you live in Minnesota? you didnt answer so I guess Coyboy must have hit it on the head when he said you may live in southern MN

Our forefathers paid a lot of money to kill ALL the wolves in the lower 48 for good reason.
But Americans are typically naive, no, let me correct that, stupid, when it comes to history and not learning from it.

You have some of the best deer baiting.. er hunting in the nation. I hunt near Hibbing, trust me we have wolves.
What we have done is get a farmer in to kee a few fields planted so the deer have ample food going in to the winter. We have brought a logger in to remove the mature trees and create better winter browse for the deer. We discovered long ago that the wolves were there to stay so we are doing what we can to provide better habitat for the wildlife.
The anti hunters are just that, and the worst one of them all is the Humane society, yes the little innocent shelter you go to buy your puppies and they over charge you for that little puppy and then take the money and file a lawsuit to keep the wolf on the endangered list. And then when they win the lawsuit the government has to pay all their legal expenses. So it costs them nothing and they can go and file a lawsuit to, say stop trapping in Maryland, or end mountain lion hunting in California. So you see I am fairly well informed. Some of you are very well infomed and its those that are making great posts. And some are making threats. I am in fact an avid hunter, I am not however of the ilk that think we should wipe out all the predators, but control their populations same as we do the wildlife. The anti hunters think that if we just let nature be itself it will all be a panachea, when in fact mother nature works in the extreme.

That was not 5 years ago it was 11 years ago, 615,293 to be exact.

Last year was aprox 315,000, This year they are proclaiming an increase, woho

final figures are not in yet but the gun kill was up 4,700 deer, hardly worth the big celebration the DNR speaks of. And with the addition of many more $2 doe tags in the north woods??? go figure the buck kill is down 20-28% so they make up for it with more does being killed in a herd that has been in a free fall in the northern half of the state.

When the final numbers come in we will be below last years numbers, that is my prediction.

Walk thru any woods in the northern part of the state and you will see oak regeneration that is simply amazing, feed in WI is not the issue, wolves are. and an incompetent DNR. But thats to be expected when a bunch of liberal colledge indoctrinated eco-idiots have progressivly been hired and brought into the new green managment system for our conservation department.

Instead of talking jiberish lets see some harvest data from MN, based on wolf range over a historic period of at least 10 years.

Hibbing lies in the middle of a wolf dead zone according to a map from MN DNR

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/wildlife/wolves/2008_survey.pdf

So I guess you speak bassed on what happens on your 80.
I can isolate small tracts of land that have good deer on them in wolf country as well, but they benifit from locals who kill predators on site.

I'm waiting for you to call us all selfish. But why shouldn't we be, our funds pay to protect and manage wildlife of all kinds, our funds are used to purchase land by the state, there are many of us who are good stewards of the private land we hold and pay taxes on.

How about every land owner put up a fence to keep wolves out, kill every one in the fence, then let them ruin the public land to a greater extent than they have.

Our own WI DNR has done just that on the 9100 acre Sandhill wildlife preserve. They strive to keep it wolf free and just errected a new stronger 8 foot fence. With money from hunting and fishing lic sales. Wy wouldn't the dnr want there pen to be ecologically balanced???

Really swamphunter I don't expect you to answer you have not responded with any meaningfull information to any of my post with regaurd to facts.

That is what all the deer have done here too, they have adapted and live closer to people where the wolves are less likely to be. We have been dealing with this issue for years and years years. Like I have said, be happy you have a hunting season to control the wolf numbers, we have no such luxury. We have had the wolves delisted twice in the last ten years only to have humane society file lawsuits and get them back on the endangered list.
All this when the revovery number was 1500. That goal was met in the early 80's if my memory serves me, and here it is 2011 and they are still "endangered"?????
And don't make stupid threats online, any one can do that. If you lived next door I might have to take it seriously.

Where did I threaten you? If I remember correctly I offered to take you hunting?
This is the part where you say "oh I am so sorry" Unless I slipped in a subliminal message I will tell you I did not threaten you. besides swampy, I am the silent type. Now "Roy for President" I believe that was an offer, but watch out I hear he is 7'14" 327lbs. eats chains and ***** nails.

I thought this forum was to help our brothern long range hunters, so get on the band wagon and come learn how to kill wolves legally. My offer is still standing on the hunt.....if you are in fact, into hunting.

I feel the problem is the Feds pushed this on us and enforced the wolf thing. Fine , the wolves are established - they won. I feel it is time for the Feds to turn the regulation over to the states- let the States decide. Look at the North Dakota - TR National elk hunting farm for retired Fed Game and Fish . I 'm not a ND resident but I was ****ed. The Federals are above all of us. I say BULL ****. What ever is decided , wolves will most likely always have refuge on Federal lands.

P.S. We have wolves in Camp Ripley Military reservation , 8 miles from my house . It used to be 35/45 Deer sq/mile. I understand its about half that now ? I don't hear complaints...???

Like I said to the other guy that threatened me, if you lived next door I would have to take it seriously but since you do it anonymously it doesn't really mean anything

Threaten?
Anonymously?

When taken as a whole the below list hints at some of the differences emerging in this thread. (Thanks to Zane Grey)

1. Don't inquire into a person's past. Take the measure of a man for what he is today.
  2. Never steal another man's horse. A horse thief pays with his life.
  3. Defend yourself whenever necessary.
  4. Look out for your own.
  5. Remove your guns before sitting at the dining table.
  6. Never order anything weaker than whiskey.
  7. Don't make a threat without expecting dire consequences.
  8. Never pass anyone on the trail without saying "Howdy".
  9. When approaching someone from behind, give a loud greeting before you get within shooting range.
  10. Don't wave at a man on a horse, as it might spook the horse. A nod is the proper greeting.
  11. After you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. It implies you don't trust him.
  12. Riding another man's horse without his permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife. Never even bother another man's horse.
  13. Always fill your whiskey glass to the brim.
  14. A cowboy doesn't talk much; he saves his breath for breathing.
  15. No matter how weary and hungry you are after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse's needs before your own, and get your horse some feed before you eat.
  16. Cuss all you want, but only around men, horses and cows.
  17. Complain about the cooking and you become the cook.
  18. Always drink your whiskey with your gun hand, to show your friendly intentions.
  19. Do not practice ingratitude.
  20. A cowboy is pleasant even when out of sorts. Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.
  21. Always be courageous. Cowards aren't tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.
  22. A cowboy always helps someone in need, even a stranger or an enemy.
  23. Never try on another man's hat.
  24. Be hospitable to strangers. Anyone who wanders in, including an enemy, is welcome at the dinner table. The same was true for riders who joined cowboys on the range.
  25. Give your enemy a fighting chance.
  26. Never wake another man by shaking or touching him, as he might wake suddenly and shoot you.
  27. Real cowboys are modest. A braggert who is "all gurgle and no guts" is not tolerated.
  28. Be there for a friend when he needs you.
  29. Drinking on duty is grounds for instant dismissal and blacklisting.
  30. A cowboy is loyal to his "brand," to his friends, and those he rides with.
  31. Never shoot an unarmed or unwarned enemy. This was also known as "the rattlesnake code": always warn before you strike. However, if a man was being stalked, this could be ignored.
  32. Never shoot a woman no matter what.
  33. Consideration for others is central to the code, such as: Don't stir up dust around the chuckwagon, don't wake up the wrong man for herd duty, etc.
  34. Respect the land and the environment by not smoking in hazardous fire areas, disfiguring rocks, trees, or other natural areas.
  35. Honesty is absolute - your word is your bond, a handshake is more binding than a contract.
  36. Live by the Golden Rule.
I suggest noting these:
# 3 - Westerners are defending a way of life they have come to know. (I'm an immigrant from western Pa of 46 years. Still remember the freedom I felt after only a few months in Idaho. I desire for that freedom to not be pressured any further.)
#4 - "our own" are a bunch of us with like thinking. Usually the majority of residents.
#7 - Serious stuff
#14 -
#19 -
#20 -
#21 -
#27 - Walter Brennen had a line; "Not brag, just fact."
#30 - The brand in this case may well be a culture. The "western" culture and way of life.
#35 -
#36 - RE: this one. I'll get myself back on track. As much as I don't want to.:)

All pretty sound Roy, except 25. You sized up your opponent wrong, or didn't arm yourself right if you find yourself in a fair fight.

Hibbing lies in the middle of a wolf dead zone according to a map from MN DNR

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/wildlife/wolves/2008_survey.pdf

So I guess you speak bassed on what happens on your 80.
I can isolate small tracts of land that have good deer on them in wolf country as well, but they benifit from locals who kill predators on site.

I'm waiting for you to call us all selfish. But why shouldn't we be, our funds pay to protect and manage wildlife of all kinds, our funds are used to purchase land by the state, there are many of us who are good stewards of the private land we hold and pay taxes on.

How about every land owner put up a fence to keep wolves out, kill every one in the fence, then let them ruin the public land to a greater extent than they have.

Our own WI DNR has done just that on the 9100 acre Sandhill wildlife preserve. They strive to keep it wolf free and just errected a new stronger 8 foot fence. With money from hunting and fishing lic sales. Wy wouldn't the dnr want there pen to be ecologically balanced???

Really swamphunter I don't expect you to answer you have not responded with any meaningfull information to any of my post with regaurd to facts.
You should check things out better you can draw a line pretty much across minnesota from east about halfway down and angle it up to the northwest and there are wolves.
And I am one of the best stewards of the land, we spend countless hours working for habitat on state land as well as our own.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.