wolves and elk

when I was a kid trapping here in the east we didn't have any coyotes (it was said they were put out by fish game) we used to have a lot of fox. Now all I trap is coyotes there every where. Do the wolf trappers out there use snares? Seems they would be very effective for wolf trapping. Very fast n easy to set n carry. If I lived out there I would be definitely be trying to do my part.

Guy out of ione, WA shot a wolf in self defense this Oct when he was surrounded by a pack. It was fully investigated and deemed justified.
we had a grade school teacher killed and 1/2 eaten while out jogging on a small airport run way in 08 or 09 in western Alaska F&G had been asked to do something about the pack two weeks befor it happened

I have lived in Montana for 13 years, I'm not the most dedicated hunter and don't really know what I'm doing, but I will say, I have never harvested an elk, but I have got a wolf. Weird luck or more wolves than elk? Hunters that have lived here their whole lives, say hunting was much better before wolves. "a bull on every mountain 30 years ago" I'v heard.

when I was a kid trapping here in the east we didn't have any coyotes (it was said they were put out by fish game) we used to have a lot of fox. Now all I trap is coyotes there every where. Do the wolf trappers out there use snares? Seems they would be very effective for wolf trapping. Very fast n easy to set n carry. If I lived out there I would be definitely be trying to do my part.
yes big long snares are what I used in the past only way to go or supper large teeth leg holds these wolves up here will tear apart a reg leg hold. now I call in Jan,feb, and march with a wildlife tec call and distress moose calf or there distress young cow moose work good

not all easterners are pleased. the wackjobs just get all the microphone time from our propaganda media. In fact, I think blue state refugees to red states need to maintain a residence for at least 10 years before being allowed to vote.
Definitely not all easterners, but those blue hued ones. I wish we could limit the liberals who have come to Idaho as Boise has been dominated by their votes for over 25 years 😔
I welcome conservatives to Idaho from any state in the country.
Have a blessed and marry Christmas. RR

I have lived in Montana for 13 years, I'm not the most dedicated hunter and don't really know what I'm doing, but I will say, I have never harvested an elk, but I have got a wolf. Weird luck or more wolves than elk? Hunters that have lived here their whole lives, say hunting was much better before wolves. "a bull on every mountain 30 years ago" I'v heard.
Having hunted in Idaho for over 40 years, I can vouch for the terrible impact wolves have had on our deer and elk herds in Idaho.

RR I can surly agree with you , as we have people dictating to us how to take care of our land that we have learned to manage for almost a hundred years , then someone that has grown up in another state in a big city is trying to tells us the way we should live and what we need to do to preserve it is kind of hard to take , I just wish they would show us the same respect they think they are entitled to

Google elk herd numbers for Yellowstone park in the early 90's if you find the right one it will give you an idea what happened, not rocket science.

RMEF's Jan-Feb Bugle has an article on wolves (pp. 13-14), and it briefly addresses Colorado's initiative to "forcibly introduce wolves" to the state.
RMEF notes that the law does not specify how many wolves would be released over what time period and how they would be managed. I have a few thoughts on that ... how about releasing two wolves, either two males; or one male pup and one 10+ year old female with collars and watched closely. IMO, Idaho went too far pro-wolf initially. Below is a page from Bugle, if RMEF would like me to remove it, please let me know.
1607950810226.jpeg

I love people that are over educated and know everything about something they have never really been around in real life , wolfs are very allusive animals that kill just to kill , I have watched them migrate all the way from Montana to Cascade Idaho how I herd a rumor that one was shot All the way over by the south fork of the Salmon that had a Montana collar on it , don't know as I didn't see it or know the person that shot it

The reintroduction of wolves into Idaho has been a sickening disaster. Protecting the rapid growing wolf population has really hurt ranchers and hunters, but has pleased the liberals and out-of-sight easterne
I feel for you all! Here in the midwest (NW Ohio) it is a coyote problem. 20 years ago you never even heard of a coyote around here, The story goes the DNR caved in to the insurance companies because of deer/auto damage. It has been said one dead coyote saves 10 fawns. Not sure of this but the deer numbers are definitely down from years past. Rabbits and gamebirds are almost non-existent but the **** coyotes are everywhere! Minus one!

Attachments

• yote.jpg
    yote.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
My only experience with wolves was in N Idaho. In a week of hunting I never saw a wolf but found 6 elk carcasses with wolf sign around them. Only saw two live elk. And last winter I took a snowmobile trip over hoodoo pass (montana/idaho border) into the N fork of the clearwater. Saw a few moose and more wolf tracks on the snowmobile trails than I could count. A pack of 5 crossed from Idaho into Montana. Good luck managing border jumpers.

Not a fan of the wolves. I've seen what they've done to a once thriving elk population in part of my state.

So we have wolves in MI UP and they will not be a problem since the UP is isolated by the Mackinac Strait between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Must be me. I am sure wolves are afraid of walking on ice or hate water. Yep we now have wolves here in lower MI. I bet they will hate our small elk herd. I wonder if same thought process to put wolves in ALL past areas: Aspen, Vail, Steamboat Springs. Bet they would love the sushi scraps, x-country skiers (fair chase I think), their pack howls would add nice back drop for the condos. We once had T-Rex wandering about, doesn't mean we need to reintroduce them. Environments change and once was is not sometimes viable once more. I am starting to think this is a means to shut down hunting so wolves can eat. Ergo hunting is no longer necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.