Wolf Meeting in Kalispell

......Was there any solutions to the problem? I get tired of hearing guys yelling 3s and all the tired belly aching about how they got here. We need solutions........

3s's hasn't, and won't keep wolf numbers in check anywhere. Neither has "fair chase", and trapping.

I'm not belly aching about how they got here, but I am cognizant the political facts that led to that happening exist still. We lost. The only headway that I saw made was
Governors stepping up, and declining to cooperate. A mid term election threatening USFW budget. My perception of the organizations that should be advocating for the well being of the other species, and sportsman, are to tied to the same money tree as the state game agencies, and are not going to rock that boat. When a group can sell a mule deer tag for $400,000 the chances of them pressuring those that gave them that tag is pretty slim.

I'm not talking extermination, but reasonable numbers, similar to what were set in the beginning have to be set.

Canine reproduction rates, travel distance fill in have to be based in biology. A litter of pups is a breeding pair whether the parents are in a committed relationship or not, and the rate they filter into an area needs to be the basis for sustaining removal from an area as well.

States have had the power to destroy those killing livestock since the beginning, most have under utilized that power. Again the assumption state agencies are on our side is something we need to let go of, and the position they work for us needs to be the basis for that relationship.

Improving success rates should be a priority, bait night vision, aerial pursuit should all be legitimized for this species.

World wide it's a tough species to manage.

You'll be seeing alot more Wolves down there now that the y2y group closed off the southern Alberta access to harvest Wolves up here above the 49th parallel.

It won't be long before hunting in the new Castle mountain park becomes a full park with no hunting.

Not much we can do for you folks down there at our end of things.

Canada pal Don

I don't think we can control wolf numbers any better than coyote numbers. For that matter I think they are smarter than coyotes. I said 20 years ago that we were opening Pandora's box... The only thing different now (for me), is I am not so sure we opened the box. I think this situation we are now in was coming on its own. Federal protection of the wolf let them increase faster. We did a fantastic job over the last 50 years of increasing our game populations that the wolves have plenty to eat and thus multiply at very high rates. Short of poison I am not sure we can check them.

You'll be seeing alot more Wolves down there now that the y2y group closed off the southern Alberta access to harvest Wolves up here above the 49th parallel.

It won't be long before hunting in the new Castle mountain park becomes a full park with no hunting.

Not much we can do for you folks down there at our end of things.

Canada pal Don
Sounds like we need to build two walls!

So what do we do just roll over and let things just be the way they are?
I agree we take measures to first get them classified like a predator first that opens up alot more options. Alaska does a pretty good job of Ariel shooting them when they start getting alot in one area.
Our officials are scared of the backlash they might receive for even suggesting something like that so if they dont want to then step aside and let somebody who has the guts to. I say we need a Donald Trump running Montana, MAKE MONTANA GREAT AGAIN.

So what do we do just roll over and let things just be the way they are?
I agree we take measures to first get them classified like a predator first that opens up alot more options. Alaska does a pretty good job of Ariel shooting them when they start getting alot in one area.
Our officials are scared of the backlash they might receive for even suggesting something like that so if they dont want to then step aside and let somebody who has the guts to. I say we need a Donald Trump running Montana, MAKE MONTANA GREAT AGAIN.
Montana is not a zoo. We are the treasure state. If you want to be a zoo vote Democrat.

Zoo is exactly, at least he stands up and tries to do something different instead of the same ole same ole. Like it or not that's the truth

I'm not so sure about the treasure state anymore it's a pittance of what it used to be

3s's hasn't, and won't keep wolf numbers in check anywhere. Neither has "fair chase", and trapping.

I'm not belly aching about how they got here, but I am cognizant the political facts that led to that happening exist still. We lost. The only headway that I saw made was
Governors stepping up, and declining to cooperate. A mid term election threatening USFW budget. My perception of the organizations that should be advocating for the well being of the other species, and sportsman, are to tied to the same money tree as the state game agencies, and are not going to rock that boat. When a group can sell a mule deer tag for $400,000 the chances of them pressuring those that gave them that tag is pretty slim.

I'm not talking extermination, but reasonable numbers, similar to what were set in the beginning have to be set.

Canine reproduction rates, travel distance fill in have to be based in biology. A litter of pups is a breeding pair whether the parents are in a committed relationship or not, and the rate they filter into an area needs to be the basis for sustaining removal from an area as well.

States have had the power to destroy those killing livestock since the beginning, most have under utilized that power. Again the assumption state agencies are on our side is something we need to let go of, and the position they work for us needs to be the basis for that relationship.

Improving success rates should be a priority, bait night vision, aerial pursuit should all be legitimized for this species.

World wide it's a tough species to manage.
I agree with some of this Harper. And some of it I don't. Good post. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.