Wolf Meeting in Kalispell

Dale I have no interest in driving down to the Bitteroot meeting when I just went to the same meeting last night and "chat" with you about the demise of montana.
Your just trying to provoke me and needle away, my efforts are gonna be directed in something more useful like our wolf problem. I'm done with this.
Fine by me. I just get sick of transplants complaining about how Montana has changed. mtmuley

I was at meeting and good points where brought up.They are trying to restict trapping more and make that harder,which is the main success rate now in MT.More season for trap and hunt,less cost for tag.All baby steps but it helps,F&G got a earfull.Ive hunted region one and now have to take my money elsewhere to hunt.Was some real knowedgeable trappers there.Also brought up why no aerial control as done in ID,AK,and Canada,the F&G have them on gps,control them.It was suppose to be 30 breeding pairs and 150 wolfs for recovery,Not what we have.Friend of mine has shot 14,good hunting buddy shot one today down TRiver

Thank you! Do you have any information on other possible meetings?
What was their reasoning about the lack of aerial control? It seems like that would be extremely effective.
What were their thoughts on doing what the F4WM is doing in Idaho? Did they comment on that?

It was put on by F4WM,and they are very busy in ID,and would like to start in MT.But the deal is you can give no compensation for wildlife in MT,how a law is written how the do in ID.And it was as if F&G didnt know or want to admit the problem is as big as it is because they wrongly look at the state as a whole,buy the numbers with excess of elk on east side.

Gunning from a plane is the only think keeping things in check in SW MT, in the last meeting here they were wanting g to put on a second guy so there were two flying, problem is one pilot and plane in the area and he only flys with one guy, don't blame him, the plane is the most cost effective but all you need is a greenhorn blowing a prop of or fragging the plane. The helo could come down but its expensive and just not over all as effective.
The mandatory trap check is almost impossible down here to do and run an effective line, even a three day check for coyote is borderline for putting numbers up. Snares would be a major asset!!
Then you have the groups that will follow your tracks to make sure your not trapping, they'll make sure their dogs get caught and have pictures or they will haul your gear and you loose hundreds of dollars of wolf traps.

Is the F&G using aerial control or is that a livestock type case?Yes the trapppers are fighting the tighter restrictions in session right now.Would be very good to know to bring up to F&G here.Up here they also bring up catching a grizz buy accident,which is extemely rare.

Its not FWP but they work with the gov trapper which Im not entirely sure the chain of command but he's federal. Down here any wolf is going to be in livestock so it's easier to get the go ahead. Our local FWP really is a good bunch but I would assume most in the field suggestions are round filed a couple layers higher in the buracracy.
The biggest bad thing with snaring is the lynx and wolverine up there, though I'd think you could try to make them duck and a cat would just jump through a wolf snare but they are freaked out about it.
Snares are the perfect tool for wolves, house hold pets like dogs just hit the end and just wait for you, I've never seen a dog choke it's self down and anyone can get a dog out of a snare. You'll only hold a bear if you have to run relaxing locks and heavy cable, if you can run kill snares then you can go such fine cable a bear would just walk through it. Down here a wolf snare would be difficult to keep deer out of but you can usually push a canine of trail to a secondary with snares with just a few cues that a deer will just walk through in the main trail.
Up in canada they have some interesting set methods that seem to really work well targeting wolves like huge baits sets which are a no go here but it would be the most effective and targeted.

Poison plays someplace south of being a child molester most places. As a culture we can put scissors in the back of a new borns head, with majority approval, yet taking out dens of wolf pups is immoral.

Flights favor certain conditions. They've been so much more aggressive with stock killers here in WA, I thought I'd relocated. As far as what other are doing, Alberta is flying last I heard. BC focussed on increased woodland caribou numbers, and has been successful. This is their second go round, they were successful the first time, but sat on their success, and were right back where they started. I think they are coming to the end of their current five year plan-see where they go.

One of the recommendations I don't know if they used was remote cameras, big baits in the huge cut blocks, and frozen lakes, and get airborne when wolves were actually on baits. They like the frozen lakes, bait sinks in the spring, and keeps the bears out of it.

Alberta mentioned poison once, and didn't again. Russia said they were, may or may not have. I'm not 100% certain, but poison may be one of those decisions we've surrendered to the international community.

I know 2 outfitters putting up good numbers, both are using 10-20,000 pounds of bait a season. Imagine a game department cooperative enough to drag road killed moose to you.

Snares are it. One of the folks I've mentioned has been very successful at hitting full packs. His pictures used to show up, and I told him to stop it, as I didn't think he wished to become an animal rights poster child. If you have doubts about sustaining this "harvest" he's been doing this since 1998-1999-and the same locations produce year after year.

The entire "breeding pair" terminology needs to be eliminated. I hate when groups are allowed contradictory points. We can't hunt during breeding season, as killing the parents may kill the pups. In the same breath the mythology of Uncle Scruffy, and Auntie Spitfire taking over responsibility gets regurgitated.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand why 5 wolf tags available to hunters/trappers in Montana and a six month season isn't making a dent. Explain. mtmuley

Just my opinion, Muley, but my guess is that there currently are not that many guys actively hunting them as opposed to just killing one when they are elk or deer hunting.
I have gone out a few times, but they are constantly moving and can be very difficult to find.
It's not at all like coyote hunting where many times they just come running. For me, hunting wolves is just plain tough and requires a lot of hours that most are not up to putting in.

Just my opinion, Muley, but my guess is that there currently are not that many guys actively hunting them as opposed to just killing one when they are elk or deer hunting.
I have gone out a few times, but they are constantly moving and can be very difficult to find.
It's not at all like coyote hunting where many times they just come running. For me, hunting wolves is just plain tough and requires a lot of hours that most are not up to putting in.
Exactly. mtmuley

Ill tell you why,now that there hunted they are smart and hard to kill.Also there are many but not tens of thousands like our other game.Im in region one a friend of mine killed one on first season when you could shoot one.In area Ive hunted my whole life,wilderness,8 miles in and 3000 vert.Local F&G said no wolfs in there yet,he saw 18 in that pack.He shot rocks and they just stood there back then.Most areas I hunt have mile after mile of timber.They are extremely hard to get on, Ive been on every kind of game in Mt,lynx,wolverine,seen 13 grizz in one day.In 2014 I put in 71 days and had a moose and last day meat buck to show,heard and tried to kill wolfs many,many times.Have never seen one with gun in hand.A bud I hunt with that hunts less than me shot one missed one,missed one with me archery,and killed one yesterday on riverroad.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.