Witnessed something very strange today, still mystified over this....

You were lucky she did not cut you like a hooker that you owe money to would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sometimes deer just don't know when to die and other times they die real easy. I bet you never mess with the knife again or leave your rifle behind. I know I never will after having something close to this happen. I was lucky rifle was only a few feet away in the truck. Now if there are any doubts if it is still alive if its a doe it gets a bullet in the neck and if its a buck it gets one in the heart. I also will never walk up on an animal even if I know it is "Dead" without a Gun or Bow in hand. Glad to hear you got her and that you did not have to get stiches.

I hit a doe just like that one time. Pulled the trigger and she hit the dirt. We got within 50 yards of the does and my friend decided to take one to fill his doe tag. He head shot the largest one and we walked up there. His was lying in a heap and I couldn't find mine anywhere. Finally I looked at his doe and sure enough it was the one I had hit.

Had another guy try to cut a bucks throat to finish it off. It sure looked dead, but it came alive enough to gore the snot out of him with his antlers. Probably didnt help that the guy was sitting on it at the time. He probably had 30 holes in his leg and knee.

Last year we had a dead moose get up (well almost) 20 yards from us. He was ****ed and i shot faster than ever.

They dont call them wild animals for nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby,

Very interesting story. The autopsy would be interesting to see why the shot that should have taken out the spine didn't.

Before I was old enough to hunt, my Dad and his hunting partner put a buck down and when the knife touched the animal to gut him a hoof came whizzing past Dad's partner's ear. Dad trained me and my brother to always put a front leg inside the rack so the buck can't get up and then touch the eye with a stick. If the deer blinks it needs more killing. The leg in the rack obviously won't work on a doe. My brother and I have never had a close call from a "dead" deer.

Congrats to you on your hunt and good luck to your Dad in filling his doe tag.

Festus

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts