With the rem 700 no longer being made what your action of choice for your long range rifle ?

The Bergara Premier action is much better than a standard 700 action. Better PE, bolt design, bolt release, fluted bolt, and runs super smooth, 8-40 screws for scope base..... just to name a few.
Does that action not just look like a savage copy to you? I think they use that flaring bolt to cut costs there and maybe the give the extra attention to the barrel. They definitely shooting but that bolt looks cheap to me

Somewhat relevant. What action does the group thinks cycles the best?
Seems like out west where you can see follow up shots are occasionally call for.
Rem clones for ease of building to make it a narrower discussion.
Not a Rem. Clone, but for me its a Sako hands down, like the old L61 R Finnbear.

Keep this in mind. The more money you spend on a custom build be sure it is exactly what you want. If you decide to sell, some where down the line . the more expensive the rifle, the greater the difficulty in selling. Yes a custom rifle with all the bells & whistles can be desirable. You can see numerous custom rifles for sale. Look on this forum & others. There are custom rifle after custom rifle for sale. Nice rifles. They just sit there , not because shooters don't want them. It is the cost .Those that do sell , do so at a considerable loss . You need to understand this & proceed slowly with wisdom & think it thru. If you have cash to build with it is beneficial. If you are going to use a credit card it can be considerably more painful paying it off for a year or so while having decided you need to sell it. Think, think, think !!!!!

Take a close look at HS Precision. A Remington clone. Smooth as glass and always very accurate. Complete rifles are not so hard to find or have one built around any cartridge you want.

Bighorn Origin. Expert fit or prefit, they are superb and include many 'better-mousetrap' features built in.
632974A1-7C9C-48F2-A08D-46C5F5C8A91D.png

648E304C-3903-4EBE-A6E2-D09F465E683C.jpeg

Does that action not just look like a savage copy to you? I think they use that flaring bolt to cut costs there and maybe the give the extra attention to the barrel. They definitely shooting but that bolt looks cheap to me
I have one. Nothing cheap about it. Works and functions flawlessly. Has some of the Savage type design on the bolt but doesn't look like a Savage action at all to me. Looks more like a Origin. I won't buy another Bergara action as the Mackbros action is everything I need to build a short action and only $575. Bergara Premier actions run about 700-800 but they are all built in their Georgia Custom shop location and are different than there other action. I'm using 2 Mackbros actions now to build a 6 Creedmoor and the other a 300WSM.

Last edited:
I never did have many rem 700 rifles but they were always super smooth untill they made the super cheap sps ones .I don't like savage actions even though I own two of them in 260 rem that are super accurate .The win model 70 is about out too because of cost .There is not much left in the way of factory actions .I am going to the good old ruger tang safety action for my next rifle a custom 260 rem with a ligilia barrel .The Browning a bolt is another choice but you never see anyone build rifles with them .

Get Nesica or Bat actions. you won't go back.

Maybe. But a lot has changed since 1962
Yes and I'm comparing it the 700 action of today with serial # prefix RR which is about all of them. They're quality has suffered tremendously. The 700 Primary extraction is terrible and the trueness of the action is horrible. I just spent a few hundred dollars having the PE corrected and learned my lesson. As well as having to bed the scope rail because the front scope mount area of the action is so far off from the rear, over a 1/16th of an inch which created torque on a scope or rail.

none of bighorns actions are cheap proof builds all there high end switch barrels of of them priced up to 6 grand guns