Wiser Precision Magnetospeed with Caldwell Picatinny swivel stud mountreview

Bigeclipse

Well after doing reading here and other spots about which chrono to use and why, I limited my choices to Labradar and Magnetospeed. Both of which had pluses and minuses. Labradar had issues with setup (can be complicated/time consuming) and sometimes detection problems, more so in crowded ranges with lots of shooting. Magnetospeed basically only draw back was the fact it is setup on the barrel and can also be a little time consuming on first setup until you figure things out. Ultimately both are great. I ended up going the magnetospeed route using the Wiser Precision mount combined with the Caldwell picatinny swivel stud mount which is what my review will be on.

The Caldwell picatinny mount is easy to attach to a front swivel stud. The downfall here is if you have a sloppy fitting swivel stud or one with a rubber grommet, then the picatinny rail can slightly move (more on this later). The Wiser Precision Mount for the magnetospeed. It is VERY well made and does it's job well. The ONLY draw back is it can start to make your rifle slightly front heavy (more on this later). Ok so once I had everything setup on my rimfire rifle for testing, it was rock solid! This is because the swivel stud on my CZ is also rock solid. This was able to hold the Wiser mount rock solid which meant the magnetospeed was solid. Once I had the distance between the Magentoseed and rifle fixed, I started shooting, Everything went perfect. Couldn't be happier. So now I tried it on my hunting rifles. Remember when I said the Caldwell picatinny mount had potential for some movement. Well this is where it occurred. One of my hunting rifles has a rubber washer/grommet thing under the stud to help prevent the stud from marking up the stock. Because of this grommet, even with the Caldwell mount tightened down, it was able to ever so slightly move/flex the rubber. What this meant is that when the wisermount and magnetospeed were attached, the megnetospeed bayonet could slightly move left and right. This really was not an issue and only caused one error when shooting until I figured it out, then no errors. I do not want to put people off this mount. There is no chance the bayonet can move up and down due to this so no issue with accidently shooting your bayonet. You just need to make sure before your next shot, that the bayonet is straight and not canted to one side or the other which is easily visible when looking down your rifle and is very easy to remedy, simply give it a slight push with your hand to straighten it out and then you are good to go. The last issue, concern is that as I stated before, the rifle becomes more front heavy. This means depending on what rest you are using, you may actually have to hold the butt of the rifle down ever so slightly. This only happened to me when shooting off a large front bag causing the fulcrum point of my rifle to be different than when using a normal front style competition rest. So what are my conclusions...I think if you are choosing between a magneospeed sporter with wiser mount it is a NO BRAINER to get it over the labradar since you are still about half the cost. Is the Magnetospeed V3 plus wiser mount worth it over the labradar...I think it just depends on your situation since now the costs between the two are much closer. It is nice that I can grab my magnetospeed v3 without the wiser mount and quickly setup and get velocity data OR check for pressure signs and then if I am shooting for groups, move it off the barrel to the wiser mount. Or if im shooting a bull barrel where chances are the magnetospeed wont mess with the groups anyway, then I can use it directly on the barrel still. It is nice having the flexibility to have a very small setup versus having to pack in the labradar. But it is equally nice to have NOTHING on your rifle at all and just use the labradar. So my final final conclusion is again Magnetospeed sporter+caldwell picatinny+Wiser mount = killer budget friendly setup which in my opinion nothing can compare to for the price. Magnetospeed V3+caldwell picatinny+wiser mount Vs. Labradar….Labradar is very nice with having nothing on your rifle which means the feel of the shot does not change to the shooter while the Magnetospeed V3 plus the mounts are still slightly cheaper than labradar, are easier to setup and collect data and once you have it set is very reliable, but so is the labradar. I hope this helps someone who is interested in these options!

Last edited:
Good write up, I just ordered the Wiser mount last night but I'll be using a pic rail mount. Looking forward to getting it all setup!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts