Load Testing with Magnetospeed

USAFRet

So, I have been eating up components doing testing. I usually load 8 rounds per charge. Three I run through the Magnetospeed for velocity, ES and SD. Remove the chrtono and do 5 shot groups. However, I have seen folks do group testing with the Magnetospeed on the barrel. Understanding, this can change POI. But, will it change accuracy? I am guessing the answer is yes, but wanted to see if anyone is doing that and maybe could share experience. Crap is expensive. I know, no shortcuts, but when powder and primers are low and hard to get, I am looking for shortcuts.

I have found it to change POI as you mentioned, but very little difference in accuracy. Keep in mind though, my experience has been with barrels NO less than 3B contour. I would think the thinner the barrel diameter the greater the risk for deviations in consistent groups, however that is just my opinion. Good luck and let us know your findings.

Last edited:
I too am struggling with load development with the Magneto-speed. I made the mistake of going with the sporter model. It works okay for just finding velocity nodes unless you have suppressor. Now with a suppressor it is useless. I don't like wasting components and time. I should have bought a Labradar, and now I can't find one to buy. I failed to heed the buy once and cry once doctrine. 😩

Thanks folks. The only sporter barrel I have is up for sale. My other issue is a have a SIG Cross and cannot even test velocity becasue the rail goes nearly all the way up to the muzzle. Still trying to figure out that workaround.

I think I will do groups with the chrono this weekend. Load up a couple more rounds and can do testing with the same load on a couple of rifles.

I would find the most accurate charge first, and then come back at a later time and check velocity. If you want to get a better idea, load 10 rounds of 3 different charge weights in 1 grain increments. You'll probably get an idea whats going to work best and then you can fiddle with smaller increments or seating depth.

I used to burn up a lot of components but now I find a good medium load and test it over 10-20 shots. You'd be surprised how much more info you can get by shooting more than just 3-5 shots at a certain charge weight. I bet I've passed over some really good loads cause they might not have grouped great in the small 3-5 shot sample size.

I shoot heavier barrels and do load dev with it on, groups and all, I want the numbers.
Never has group size decreased once done.
I did on one occasion, with a Hawk Hill marksman contour barrel have the magneto act as a tuner in a favorable way. Pull it and group size tripled, and I was not smart enough to combat this. Adding a suppressor had the opposite effect, way bad, it's lifespan was short.

However, I have seen folks do group testing with the Magnetospeed on the barrel. Understanding, this can change POI. But, will it change accuracy? I am guessing the answer is yes, but wanted to see if anyone is doing that and maybe could share experience.
It can change group size if it moves around. Mine "walks" forward with each shot sometimes, i think the barrel still has a slight enoug taper on the end maybe i just cant get it tight enough.
If I pay attention to its position i feel I can get an idea of group size as I test velocity and pressure ladders but I really just use it to find my safe velocitiy node then remove it for group development.

I too am struggling with load development with the Magneto-speed. I made the mistake of going with the sporter model. It works okay for just finding velocity nodes unless you have suppressor. Now with a suppressor it is useless. I don't like wasting components and time. I should have bought a Labradar, and now I can't find one to buy. I failed to heed the buy once and cry once doctrine. 😩
Same here. I use the wiser precision mount, but once you run suppressed, it's still useless. I haven't cobbled up anything to make it work, but I am borrowing a friends lab radar for about a year now.

Last edited:
Simple, sell your Magnetospeed to fund a "shoot through" chrono! MAJOR advantage of the shoot thru is you can even shoot rubber bands through it---- DON'T laugh I've had some super red rubber bands hit 48fps!!! Seriously, I've shot just about everything through mine from air rifles, bows, spearguns and it still carries a small dent from a low 10mm round out of my 1911...

Simple, sell your Magnetospeed to fund a "shoot through" chrono! MAJOR advantage of the shoot thru is you can even shoot rubber bands through it---- DON'T laugh I've had some super red rubber bands hit 48fps!!! Seriously, I've shot just about everything through mine from air rifles, bows, spearguns and it still carries a small dent from a low 10mm round out of my 1911...
I shoot at a military range and can't have anything past the firing line.