Load Testing Question

Montana73

I've got a 20 round load test package of 5 different loads for the same bullet, so 4 rounds per test. Here is my proposed procedure.

1. Clean with Bore Tech per directions and end up with a dry patch
2. Shoot one fouling shot
3. Shoot first 4 bullet test load at 200 yards (max distance at my range)
4. Clean with Bore Tech per directions and end up with a dry patch - Cool down 10 minutes
5. Shoot one fouling shot
6. Shoot second 4 bullet test load
7. Clean with Bore Tech and dry patch - cool down 10 minutes
8. Shoot one fouling shot
9. Etc, etc, etc. until done with all 5 test loads

My question is - during the 4 bullet test shooting, how long should I wait between shooting the next round in the 4 shot sequence?

Any thoughts would be welcome on the above and my question.

So here is what has worked for me and I learned from my dad many years ago and havent had a need to change it.

Takes more than 1 round to foul a bore, I shoot at least 10 rounds after cleaning and then proceed to start load testing, thay's if I even have a clean barrel before testing a load.

I shoot 3 shot rounds, found out on my mag the 4th one was usually a flyer as the barrel heats up. I shoot them on a row without waiting for barrel to cool down, why? If something goes wrong and the animal ends up wounded you cant wait for barrel to cool down, also for some competitions there is no wait time between shots, so loads need to match the need.

I test at 100m, smaller margin of error. Once I find a half MOA load better, I'll try that load at least two more times to ensure it wasnt a fluke. After that I'll try it out at 200m, 300m, 385m and 500m.

Just what works for me and hope it helps

How about using a cheap infrared temp reader? You could literally track external barrel temps along with your other data, as well as obviously starting with the same barrel temp before your fowling shot(s) each time.

Since I am a hunter I use the infrared temp reader. I don't fire the second shot until the barrel gets back to ambient if it summer or below 70* when it's winter. It's been decades since I fired two shots at a game animal. Therefore I want a "cold" bore shot every time I fire a test shot.

If I am just playing and shooting at rocks I will fire two shots before I let it cool.

IME - it takes more than one round to settle a barrel after a good bore cleaning. I typically shoot 3 rounds with ammo made for barrel fouling, using leftover bullets and powder that I'm not using for anything else.

With that said - I do not clean between groups when testing loads. I think it is better to test with a fouled bore and fouling seems to remain consistent for quite a few rounds. Many shooters don't find a need to clean their bores for 40-50-60 rounds or even more.

Just my 2 cents and that's probably what it's worth. Good luck đź‘Ť

I ordinarily shoot 5-10 for fouling. I have also dry patched between different groups. I can't say I have seen a huge difference doing this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.