Wipe out

I know this is a 2 yr old thread. I recently started testing/using patch out, accelerator, and tactical advantage. Cleaned a few rifles, one with 485 rounds thru it. First, when I smelled PO and TA, I did smell ammonia and also the same cleaner that is in KG1 carbon remover. I tried accelerator and leaving the products over night. They removed copper and powder fouling but hard packed in carbon remained even after 3 applications. Patches alone wont get it clean. In all fairness, the dozens of cleaners Ive tested performed similarly, some better than others. After the wipe out products, I used flitz bore cleaner/liquid polish to easily remove the hard carbon with 25 brush strokes. The carbon ring was removed using a brush with flitz and the brush turned in the throat. I use a brush 2 calibers larger for this. I like wipe out as it reduces the amount of work. The products I found I liked best were bore tech, KG1 & 2, and Flitz. The rest went to the dump. If your results haven't been proven with a bore scope, then Id say your rifle isn't as clean as you think. Ive seen clean patches come out of heavily carboned barrels and I mean barrels caked so heavily that rifling wasn't visible from shooting under caliber bullets such as .308 bullets in 303 and 311/12 bores. A couple were so heavily carboned that I started with 308 brushes fitting snug and finished with 35 cal brushes that were lightly snug. These bores were badly pitted with no rifling left. Folks need to learn on their own what works and many take it personally when told their solvent doesnt work. I stopped using JB and went to KG2 because it cleans from the barrel easier and less mess. I use it when a barrel is in horrible shape with hard carbon that flitz has trouble with. Anything will remove powder fouling but carbon is a different animal. Apologies for being long winded here. YMMV and TETO

Similar experience—all I keep around now is Wipeout/Patchout and KG line.

@Seabeeken did you ditch Wipeout/Patchout products?
I kept them. I'm going to continue using them first for copper and powder fouling followed by flitz for the harder carbon. If its really bad then the KG-2 will be used. KG 1 & 2 work well and stay on my shelf. Some bores are just tough to clean no matter what. I tested CLPs and lubes also. A lot of ineffective crap there too

I will add—other than the 2 lines I mentioned above, the only other thing I will use is CLR (the household stuff).

I learned of it through one of @orkan's blogs, and there is nothing that cuts carbon faster than that stuff. It makes quick work of carbon rings. Just be careful not to get it on blued surfaces.

I will add—other than the 2 lines I mentioned above, the only other thing I will use is CLR (the household stuff).

I learned of it through one of @orkan's blogs, and there is nothing that cuts carbon faster than that stuff. It makes quick work of carbon rings. Just be careful not to get it on blued surfaces.
It does etch stainless. I'll never put CLR in any of my barrels.

Interesting video!

I have only used it in the neck area of the chamber, and only for a minute or so. But he makes a great point about what if it gets into a fire cracked area—how do you ensure all the CLR is out of there?

Therein lies the problem. If it gets under the carbon in the cracks and pores, then what? Let us know. As I said, I'll never put it in my barrels when there are other better options. Fire cracking filled with carbon or copper fouling would seem fine as long as its managed to keep it smooth to the bore. IMO, this is where abrasives like KG-2 and JB come in to keep the bore clean and smooth in that area. Im not too lazy to work a cleaning rod rather than etch my barrels.
Cleaning guns and building engines over almost 50 years, Ive dealt with carbon. Rather than CLR, try soaking the bore with Berryman's carb dip. It softens carbon in a few hrs and wont harm your barrel but be certain to wear gloves. Cover the stock and blued surfaces as I dont know how it would react with these surfaces.

... and according to some youtubers and people on internet forums... this cat weighs 2,000 lbs.

XYGaD4th.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube