Wipe out

hammer111

Is it me or does wipe out have a ammonia smell to it. When I first sprayed it that's what it smelled like.
If so, I thought ammonia isn't good to use.

You can let foam bore cleaners soak in the barrel overnight without any harm or damage or ammonia smell.
Read the directions and see if the brand you are using has time constraints.

Below a 1943 .303 British No.4 Enfield rifle with a frosted and pitted bore. I just let the foam soak overnight and all the copper and carbon were gone.

p59rhnP.jpg

Below foam in a AR15 and no brushing with a copper bore brush and just a few patches.

M1BUyQB.jpg

eIRAnKF.jpg

If you smell ammonia you may need to see a Doctor.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003058.htm

Bad breath is usually related to poor dental hygiene. Not brushing and flossing regularly causes sulfur compounds to be released by bacteria in the mouth. ... The breath may have an ammonia-like odor (also described as urine-like or "fishy") in people with chronic kidney failure.

Is it me or does wipe out have a ammonia smell to it. When I first sprayed it that's what it smelled like.
If so, I thought ammonia isn't good to use.
Yes, I have smelled ammonia after foaming the barrel. I read on the bottle it mentions no ammonia, but I definitely smell it. I also use Bore tech Carbon C4 remover and Copper remover and those products do not have ammonia or smell like ammonia.

You can let foam bore cleaners soak in the barrel overnight without any harm or damage or ammonia smell.
Read the directions and see if the brand you are using has time constraints.

Below a 1943 .303 British No.4 Enfield rifle with a frosted and pitted bore. I just let the foam soak overnight and all the copper and carbon were gone.

p59rhnP.jpg

Below foam in a AR15 and no brushing with a copper bore brush and just a few patches.

M1BUyQB.jpg

eIRAnKF.jpg

If you smell ammonia you may need to see a Doctor.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003058.htm

Bad breath is usually related to poor dental hygiene. Not brushing and flossing regularly causes sulfur compounds to be released by bacteria in the mouth. ... The breath may have an ammonia-like odor (also described as urine-like or "fishy") in people with chronic kidney failure.
Yep I read them first, I only have the brown color on the patches which is powder.
I can let it set over night, thanks for your help.

Yes, I have smelled ammonia after foaming the barrel. I read on the bottle it mentions no ammonia, but I definitely smell it. I also use Bore tech Carbon C4 remover and Copper remover and those products do not have ammonia or smell like ammonia.
I have bore tech too. Seemed to take a while to get clean. Wipe out is even longer. But if it works , it's ok.

I plan to try Bore tech eliminator to see if it is any faster or better than the other two bore tech items I have.

I've used BoreTech Eliminator and non foaming Wipeout. Both work on copper, but take some effort on a new barrel during break in. I think BTE is a little stronger.

You may not like this, but I have quit using Wipeout and just about all the other cleaners. I found a new method and absolutely love it! A gunsmith I respect gave me this tip that he got from a barrel maker. He said, to break in a new barrel he just installed, "shoot 5 and pull one". Whaaaat??? Pull one what? Run a bore snake lead cord down the barrel, use some light oil, I use Ballistol, squirted down it, and pull the snake through. One time. I have been doing that and see absolutely NO degredation of accuracy! His other advise was to always shoot a "wet" bore. I've run a couple hundred rounds before I do it in a broke in barrel. It was a duh moment! What do benchrest shooters do before and after shooting? Clean the heck out of it and THEN shoot fouling shoots before shooting groups! This should tell you it's a wet, fouled barrel for accurate shooting! Once in a while I'll run 2 snakes through, usually at end of season. Maybe clean it the old fashioned way IF accuracy has fallen off. So far, that ain't happened!
Oh, and yes, I too smelled ammonia from Wipeout when i used it years ago.

I've never smelled ammonia with wipeout or its accelerator.

I'll never be able to wrap my head around a bore snake in a rifle. You end up pulling crap from previous cleaning's down your bore. No matter how much I try to clean the snake it's always nasty. I do use them on smoothbore but not rifling.

You may not like this, but I have quit using Wipeout and just about all the other cleaners. I found a new method and absolutely love it! A gunsmith I respect gave me this tip that he got from a barrel maker. He said, to break in a new barrel he just installed, "shoot 5 and pull one". Whaaaat??? Pull one what? Run a bore snake lead cord down the barrel, use some light oil, I use Ballistol, squirted down it, and pull the snake through. One time. I have been doing that and see absolutely NO degredation of accuracy! His other advise was to always shoot a "wet" bore. I've run a couple hundred rounds before I do it in a broke in barrel. It was a duh moment! What do benchrest shooters do before and after shooting? Clean the heck out of it and THEN shoot fouling shoots before shooting groups! This should tell you it's a wet, fouled barrel for accurate shooting! Once in a while I'll run 2 snakes through, usually at end of season. Maybe clean it the old fashioned way IF accuracy has fallen off. So far, that ain't happened!
Oh, and yes, I too smelled ammonia from Wipeout when i used it years ago.
When you say "wet" you mean with the oil???

I use Wipe Out/Patch Out for all but 22 RF. I do not use the spray foam in the AR because it tends to collect in the gas tube and you have to clean it out with a spray cleaner/degreaser or long pipe cleaner. I follow up with Montana Extreme Bore conditioner as it tends to get the very last of the carbon out of the barrel ... then dry patch it out.

Wet is a film of oil. After first shot, barrel is "wet" with copper.
Pulling bore snakes from chamber to muzzle pulls dirt out. Yes, it doesn't leave a spotless bore, but I now believe spotless is not a good thing in barrels.