run out

jeff 300

I'm get a lot of run out in my case after resizing up 300rum to 338 edge the cases start out with 2-3th after i size them they are 5-8 out. i'm using a co-ax press and redding fl bushing dies

I would not worry about it, i'll bet you will still get good accuracy. When i necked down my 375 rum brass to 338 edge i was getting about 20 thousands runout with 338 rum neck sizing die. The accuracy with that much runout was great. My first group after load development was 3/4 inch at 325 yards. All 100 cases shot shot very good. After the first firing i get very little runout,but in all honesty they do not shoot any better than on mt first firing with a lot of runout. I think a good chamber will make up for a lot of runout. This probably won't be the normal for all rifles, but in my 338 edge runout does not seem to matter

I agree, shoot them and then resize and see what your runout is. It is difficult to expand the neck that far uniformly. Have you measured neck thickness on these cases? Non-uniform neck thickness causes uneven spring-back which causes runout too. You may need to turn the necks a bit to restore uniformity.

Andy

I check run out when trying to find out why a load will not shoot accurately. Don't check run out when you are happy with a load... it will drive you crazy

Lost Creek--just curious...does your gun have freebore or are you right near the lands with your loads. I sure find it interesting how so many people swear that .005 runnout turns their tack driver into a shotgun and then we have a gun like yours that drives tacks with ammo that wobbly.
I've often thought the trip down a good barrel does much to straighten out something bad we reloaders might have done.....and about 95% of accuracy comes from how well a gun likes a bullet/powder/seat depth combo.

I sure find it interesting how so many people swear that .005 runnout turns their tack driver into a shotgun and then we have a gun like yours that drives tacks with ammo that wobbly.
I've often thought the trip down a good barrel does much to straighten out something bad we reloaders might have done.....and about 95% of accuracy comes from how well a gun likes a bullet/powder/seat depth combo.

Couldnt have said it better. A little is ok. Alot is bad.

Fire form the cases then worry about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.