Will I be happy with a Ruger American

LPRoad

Now that I have settled in to my own slice of heaven in the middle of nowhere NM, I am planning a new rifle purchase.

I have laid out my own range that gives me 600 yards to play with, so I have been bitten by the 6.5 Creedmoor bug.

My trusty pre 64 Winchester model 94 which served me quite well for white tails in Maine is not quite the thing for my new home.

I have always had good luck with Ruger products (I once had a Ruger 7mm mag that I had to sell after a divorce that was a .75 MOA rifle even with factory ammo and my modest skills).

Anyway, I am trying to decide between a Hawkeye Predator and a RAR Predator. Primary use would be target shooting, but I would also use the rifle for muleys, pronghorn, and (with due regard to the cartridge limitations), elk.

I like the price of the RAR, but I am afraid if I buy one I will have buyers remorse, and wished I had just spent the extra $ for the Hawkeye.

If anyone has input I would certainly welcome it. I am retired, and my pension check isn't huge, so I do try and save money when I can :)

I have a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots 3/4 MOA out to 600. Have not been able to shoot it longer yet. It does not produce tremendous muzzle velocity with the short barrel and 140 Amax's but it does shoot well. It's a fine little shooting gun for a good price.

LP, my grandson has a new American in 7mm-08, it is quite accurate with hand loads. I don't like the stock, but was amazed at the out of the box performance. Good luck

Thanks guys, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I suppose I can always fit a Boyds stock at some point if I end up liking the action, but feeling like the stock leaves something to be desired.

I have the m77 varmint in 6.5 creedmoor and love it. With a heavy scope and bipod I can watch my shots hit. Will shot .5 moa all day long. You can buy two Americans for the same price. I am sure they are nice guns but not in the same league as the hawkeye. If you are thinking about buying the hawkeye you might as well just bite the bullet and do it. Other wise you will be second guessing yourself and end up saving for the gun you wanted in the future.

I have the m77 varmint in 6.5 creedmoor and love it. With a heavy scope and bipod I can watch my shots hit. Will shot .5 moa all day long. You can buy two Americans for the same price. I am sure they are nice guns but not in the same league as the hawkeye. If you are thinking about buying the hawkeye you might as well just bite the bullet and do it. Other wise you will be second guessing yourself and end up saving for the gun you wanted in the future.

I agree. I would rather have the Hawkeye than RAP with a Boyds stock. You are right on with the 6.5 Creedmoor

rugers are funny rifles, most shoot well but not awesome. I've got 2 at present (out of around 5 I've owned)- a hawkeye in 35 whelen and a #1 in 338win. Both are 1/2 moa rifles if the driver does his part. My best group of the year is from the whelen- .295" for 3 shots at 200 yards. On the flip side we had a hawkeye in 300win that was a serious fight to get under moa.

My brother has (or had) an American rifle for a while and he likes (liked) it. I can't tell with him at times as he is in the rifle of the month club.

In short let your sense of what you like in a rifle and your wallet set your course here. You aren't likely to loose with either rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.