Rebarreling a Ruger American

8x68s

I haven't been able to find any previous threads addressing this subject so: I want to rebarrel a R.A. long action to 6.5-06. I'm trying to create a lightweight mountain rifle. If I'm seeing it correctly, the R.A.'s appear to have a barrel nut on them like the Savage system. I'm wondering if a carbon fiber pre-fit would get me where I'm going with this action?? I am open to any suggestions related to rebarreling this action. Thanks for your help!!

2376F6BC-EBBF-476F-B80B-97BE15D61E7F.jpeg Contact southern precision rifles aka bugholes. The made 6.5 creedmoor fluted varmint for mine out a bartlein. Turned out great

Kind of an old post but is that a Ruger American Action? Whats that rifle weigh?

Yes it is started out as an american predator. Its on the heavy side coming in around 12 lbs without the can on the end. Ive since put an Athlon aeres etr on it and the weight went up by one lbs. So right above 13 lbs now. A little heavy for packing around but it shoots great. As long as your blank has a 1.060 barrel tenion Southern precision rifles can do any contour you want.

I had forgotten I posted this... duh! Now I have enough info to enthuse me for a Winter project! Yea!! Thanks guys!

1"x16tpi is the thread, you can buy remage style with a barrel nut no problem
Good evening,

I'm considering getting a Ruger American and re-barreling it for my son. I thought the factory Remington threads were 1.062 X 16 (1 1/16 X 16)....are they actually 1X16? Just want to make sure I get the right thread.

Thanks!

All my best,
Rob

Good evening,

I'm considering getting a Ruger American and re-barreling it for my son. I thought the factory Remington threads were 1.062 X 16 (1 1/16 X 16)....are they actually 1X16? Just want to make sure I get the right thread.

Thanks!

All my best,
Rob
Remington 700 is 1-1/16, ruger American is 1". Never did I say Remington tenon is 1". Remage or maybe I should said Rug-age is just a barrel turned down/threaded with a barrel nut to trq against the receiver face instead of using a shoulder. This style came from Savage rifles, hence the remage or rugage slanv.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.