wildcat on the 6.5x55 round?

huntokanogan

Has anyone ever wildcated the 6.5x55 round? I was wondering if it's been done in a 6mmx55?
I like this round and just wanted to know if it had been wildcated succesfully. I'm pretty sure it has given the length of time tthe round has been around.
6mmx55 sound like it would be a neat gun but is it possible?
or have people done this with any of the other european rounds like the 7mm family?
let me know

There is just a slight difference in the diameter of the web area of the 6.5X55 and the 06 case web of the 7X57. 6mm Rem is basically what you would get with the 6.5X55 down to 6mm and 257 Roberts in 257, 7mm Mauser in .284.

I have a 6.5xRoberts Ackley Imp.. It is an excellent round, a little more than the Swede if needed. Just a little less than 6.5x284 when cranked up. Just food for thought. Good luck, Weezer

dealing with the 6.5x55 case alone, P.O. Ackley did one as well as Dr. Arch. Very, very little difference between the two (if not identical). But I think the 6.5 Arch came around a little earlier than the Ackley case design. Then there is the 6.5 Vias which probably cannot be reamed off a standard 6.5 chamber without a barrel setback of a couple turns. Vias also did the same basic case in .224 and 6mm. They use a shoulder setback that is about .04" (could be slightly more as I don't have the drawings here). The .224 Vias will push an 80 grain bullet faster than a .220 Swift will push a 50 grain bullet! A 6mm Vias will push a 70 grain bullet faster than a .220 Swift will push a 45 grain bullet!

Ackley did the 7x57 Mauser case case in everything from .243" to .308", and others did the same case in .338 and 8mm. Fred Huntington also did some similar experiments, but with a 30 degree shoulder. I'd love to see somebody like Savage put their name on the .244 Rockchucker
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.