Why you should consider a 223 for a LR rifle

I took the rifle back out to confirm a new lot of powder didn't change anything. Gave it a click down and a click right after this group and am going to load up a bunch of these for spring varmints. Hopefully this year I get video of some 1k+ yard rock chucks with this setup.
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-22 18:52:43.404015.jpg

The .223 with 73 & 75 ELDM's is nice but the .22-.250 with same bullets is nicer BUT the .223 is cheaper to shoot with buckets of cheap brass, smaller powder charges, available small rifle primers and longer barrel like.

Figure out where a .223 goes sub-sonic and call that the max range for that particular load. Wifey shoots a 9 twist .223 alternating between 2 bullets, the 53 VMax & 73 ELDM. The 53 VMax @ 3,400 is a great rodent bullet.

I am getting on the .223 cal bandwagon for savings and the new bullets give a little more for long range. I have a 22 ARC/Grendel AR and have a .22 BR barrel coming so I can use a standard bolt face and mags I already have. Still uses small rifle primers too which is a bonus.

The .223 with 73 & 75 ELDM's is nice but the .22-.250 with same bullets is nicer BUT the .223 is cheaper to shoot with buckets of cheap brass, smaller powder charges, available small rifle primers and longer barrel like.

Figure out where a .223 goes sub-sonic and call that the max range for that particular load. Wifey shoots a 9 twist .223 alternating between 2 bullets, the 53 VMax & 73 ELDM. The 53 VMax @ 3,400 is a great rodent bullet.
When I lived in northern MN back in the 90s I noticed my .220 Swift dropped a lot more in -30 temps at 700 yards than say a 7mm bullet. The reason was the low BC. Low BC bullets not only drift more in the wind, their trajectory is affected a lot more by temperature. I had the Swift rebarreled to a fast twist and started shooting 75/80 grain bullets. Big difference in both drift and temp impacts.

When I lived in northern MN back in the 90s I noticed my .220 Swift dropped a lot more in -30 temps at 700 yards than say a 7mm bullet. The reason was the low BC. Low BC bullets not only drift more in the wind, their trajectory is affected a lot more by temperature. I had the Swift rebarreled to a fast twist and started shooting 75/80 grain bullets. Big difference in both drift and temp impacts.
Yeah, cold air is significantly more dense, I have seen the swing from 100 degree to 40 degree on dope at my range.

Yeah, cold air is significantly more dense, I have seen the swing from 100 degree to 40 degree on dope at my range.
I realized that back then (when I was stationed in the army in Alaska, helicopter pilots told me they needed considerably less collective on super cold days), but what I didn't realize is that the lower the BC, the bigger the difference a change in temperature makes. While all loads were impatcted by temperature, my 55 gr Swift loads had considerably more drop in the cold than my 150 gr 7mm bullets. In fact, IIRC, the change in 7mm was hardly noticeable but the change in 55 gr .224 bullets was considerable. Moving to 75/80 gr bullets cut the increase in drop due to low in temperatures in half. Again, going off memory from 3 decades ago.

I realized that back then (when I was stationed in the army in Alaska, helicopter pilots told me they needed considerably less collective on super cold days), but what I didn't realize is that the lower the BC, the bigger the difference a change in temperature makes. While all loads were impatcted by temperature, my 55 gr Swift loads had considerably more drop in the cold than my 150 gr 7mm bullets. In fact, IIRC, the change in 7mm was hardly noticeable but the change in 55 gr .224 bullets was considerable. Moving to 75/80 gr bullets cut the increase in drop due to low in temperatures in half. Again, going off memory from 3 decades ago.
You were way ahead of the long range shooting curve back then.

Pilots know about temp for sure. They use "density altitude" for their calculations, which is based on station pressure and temp.

Here's the wife @ 1769yrds, 223 AI 85.5gr Berger. Bullet did not penetrate, just bounced off.View attachment 546158View attachment 546159View attachment 546160

LOL there's no way in hell.

That bullet is still going well over 900fps at that range with more energy than a 22LR has at the muzzle and you really expect people to believe it didn't penetrate a milk jug? Where's the bullet if it just bounced off?

I'd bet good money it was a clean miss and a rock got kicked up and hit it.

If you're going to make stuff up at least make it believable.

Lots of women have been deadly with a rifle. More than a few German troops in WWII on the Eastern front would attest to that. But they can`t.

Trump said this week the Russians defeated the Nazis and a bunch of woke kids called him a moron.

They are oblivious to history on the Eastern Front and the Battle for Berlin.

I discovered the joy of a long range .223 about 15 years ago! Definitely fun and DEFINITELY inexpensive. Best I shot it was.188 but it's a .250 ( better said...I'm a .250) at 100 regularly. I've only shot it to 500 which was enough....now I'll have to stretch it out...just cause! That's a 1" red dot@ 100 10rdsView attachment 544991View attachment 544992
So what the heck is that thing? LOL