Why you should consider a 223 for a LR rifle

Browninglover1

Over the years I've owned a few 223s but they were always set up to run lightweight Varmint bullets and I never thought of the cartridge as a good long range option.

Fast forward a few years and I built a long 223 with a 26" barrel and a 7.5 twist barrel to run 75-80 grain bullets. With a stout charge of Varget I get 3040 fps with a 75 grain ELDM and it just flat out shoots. This load was unbelievably fun on rock chucks last spring and even killed two of them over 1200 yards!

After getting some suppressors last year I wanted to see how the rifle and suppressor would do with a quick 10 shot string. Today was test day so I loaded up a magazine and let it rip. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. What a hoot! 10 shots into 1/2 MOA is just way too much fun.

IMG_2547.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-17 13:01:39.748352.jpg

Had a discussion on this topic today with a 1000 yd shooter. I asked him what range his 223 was good for. He said with 77 gr bullets he could keep them in half the man size steel at 700 yds.
The most I shoot my 60 v maxes is 500 at claybirds.

Last edited:
10 shots into 1/2 MOA is just way too much fun.
Since this is a hunting gun, people should really consider your results for accuracy (not precision).
You have ~1/2moa precision, but well under 1/4moa of accuracy (at 100yds).
This is all that matters, especially at distance, and COLD BORE.

A 223 can be more accurate with a planned limit of 500yds. Here, you would be at lower twist and lighter bullets.
Flat base BR bullets tighten things up even further.

I like this because IMO accuracy is the most powerful of all ballistic attributes.
With a 223, 40gr FB BR, 1/8moa CB accuracy to 500yds (in good conditions), there is nothing in America I couldn't stalk & kill with a brain shot.
Now add availability of components, ease of reloading,, incredible barrel life,, and it seems crazy not to consider a 223.
It's even better (overall) than 6BR