Why use a carbon wrapped barel?

This is amusing how angry everyone gets over CF wrapped barrels vs Steel. What if we only shoot Bergers out of the CF wrapped barrels AND its chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor? Lol!
Thanks! I just popped some popcorn for munch on while watching the entertainment. I'm gong CF on my mountain Rifle
Here's the popcorn gents. Just need a beer now. Monday popcorn and beer lunch. Amusing.

56EC8BCE-0DBD-4ACA-8324-7D078459D261.gif

I liken the CF vs Steel debate to the Berger vs Hornady vs Nosler vs "Cheap Stuff" or Lilja vs Bartlein or Cut Rifled vs 5r vs 5c. It just gives some guys a platform to pound on their chest and yell "My $H!+ is better cuz I said so". Besides, I'm on days off and bored while drinking pumpkin spice Black Rifle Coffee Company coffee and cleaning my fully custom (6.5 Creedmoor with a Carbon Six barrel and Terminus Helios action sitting in a McMillan Edge Fill Game Hunter stock with TT trigger) rifle with Butch's Bore Shine and WD 40. I suppose we can argue optics too so I'll throw on a NF NX8 FFP 4-32 on it. I'm also wearing Kennetreks. Fight me.

I'm putting a Bartlein CFW barrel on a new build mostly for weight reduction. I have a HV Bartlein barrel that's 25" long finished and weighs almost 7 lbs. The CFW barrel of exact dimensions(M24) is just over 3.5lbs finished. That's in my calculation, almost half the weight. This is plain and simple based on my weight scale in my shop. Shaving 3+lbs from a hunting rifle is huge. Even if I went with a light varmint contour, there would be a small weight savings. Any weigh saving is good. In hind sight, I wish I'd have went with the sendero contour rather than the M24 contour and saved another half pound. Either way, the other main reason I chose a CFW barrel is just flat out because they look super cool. That has to count for something.

For the same reason some drive a Ford, and some drive a Chevy (hell some even drive a Dodge / RAM simply because they love body panel rust that much) ... personal preference. For a packed rifle that will be carried long distances saving as many ounces as possible makes sense. Personally I like the bigger CF profile I can get with the reduced weight compared to skinny barrels, but I only ever spend the money on CF if I plan to carry that rifle a long ways.

Last edited:
I'm just a poor boy from BFE Oklahoma that has to build his rifles. This addictive hobby keeps me too broke to afford those nice receivers. Although I do own two Surgeon receivers. Got them before they moved to AZ.

I'm putting a Bartlein CFW barrel on a new build mostly for weight reduction. I have a HV Bartlein barrel that's 25" long finished and weighs almost 7 lbs. The CFW barrel of exact dimensions(M24) is just over 3.5lbs finished. That's in my calculation, almost half the weight. This is plain and simple based on my weight scale in my shop. Shaving 3+lbs from a hunting rifle is huge. Even if I went with a light varmint contour, there would be a small weight savings. Any weigh saving is good. In hind sight, I wish I'd have went with the sendero contour rather than the M24 contour and saved another half pound. Either way, the other main reason I chose a CFW barrel is just flat out because they look super cool. That has to count for something.
So does Bartlein weave the CF around the barrel or wrap it in sheets of CF? You have giving the me first answer I've been looking for.

There should be no debate. CF barrels either cool faster or they don't. This depends on the epoxy additives, way the cf was applied (tube vs tow), etc. Great discussion when people use words and explanations us backwood folk can understand :)
Idk if I enjoyed the corn dog more or the skinny guy in a coat vs naked fat guy comparison more

There should be no debate. CF barrels either cool faster or they don't. This depends on the epoxy additives, way the cf was applied (tube vs tow), etc. Great discussion when people use words and explanations us backwood folk can understand :)

We can just shoot 100 rounds straight

Spit on the bolt

The bolt that stops sizzling first cooled oyy faster!!!!

We can just shoot 100 rounds straight

Spit on the bolt

The bolt that stops sizzling first cooled oyy faster!!!!

Honestly

As a hunter

I care most about:

1 cold bore repeatability DAYS BETWEEN SHOTS!!!

2 2 AND 3 SHOT GROUPS like in putting down an elk at 600 yards on a plain

3 speed in fps

4 weight as in on my shoulder

Carbon fiber wrapped barrels always work for me in these criteria compared to millions of profile - weight - length of standard steel 5r cut rifled barrels

I am DEFINITELY form over function

Hence the harley goes 20k miles a year
The ducati-gsxr-zx14 2k to 3k each max

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.